I'm sorry, no.

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

I'm sorry, no.

Postby NightFlight » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:48 am

Eating green vegetables before starches does not lessen my hunger. At all.

Anyone else find this to be true? I'm always hungry on this diet.
NightFlight

Re: I'm sorry, no.

Postby ANGELOJ » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:05 pm

I agree about the green veg.
I'm not always hungry though, but I do eat lots. For me being able to eat lots is one of the benefits of thisway of eating.
If you are hungry, eat more starches - I keep oatmeal in my drawer at work. I have at least 3 helpings of that a day in between meals
ANGELOJ

Postby NightFlight » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:03 pm

ANGELOJ wrote:I agree about the green veg.
I'm not always hungry though, but I do eat lots. For me being able to eat lots is one of the benefits of thisway of eating.
If you are hungry, eat more starches - I keep oatmeal in my drawer at work. I have at least 3 helpings of that a day in between meals

But I want to lose weight.
NightFlight

Postby ANGELOJ » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:52 pm

You will if you eat on plan. I lost 20lbs eating more food that I have ever eaten. I'm never hungry, I snack between meals and my wieght stays where I like it.

If you want to lose more wieght, then go for lower calorie density foods (veg) to make up more of what you eat - but keep some starch its what helps keep the hunger away.

Everything low fat, whole foods plant based, with starch as the central theme. Easy!
ANGELOJ

Postby Jumpstart » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:18 pm

What's nice about "The Starch Solution" is that you never have to be hunger to lose weight. Now, on the "green and yellow" vegetable solution you might have that problem. I would recommend you stay on Dr. McDougall's program, first you'll never be hungry, and second you'll still lose weight simply more slowly. The obvious problem I've seen with people trying to sub lots of greens and low density vegetable for starch is that they never stay on that program long enough to lose weight. They end up cheating like crazy. Those that took it more slowly have little trouble staying on the program and a couple to three years later they've reached their goal and will tell you it was a breeze. All the while those who thought they could do it quickly are still struggling ten years later.
Jumpstart

Postby WyldMoonWoman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:31 pm

Jumpstart wrote:What's nice about "The Starch Solution" is that you never have to be hunger to lose weight. Now, on the "green and yellow" vegetable solution you might have that problem. I would recommend you stay on Dr. McDougall's program, first you'll never be hungry, and second you'll still lose weight simply more slowly. The obvious problem I've seen with people trying to sub lots of greens and low density vegetable for starch is that they never stay on that program long enough to lose weight. They end up cheating like crazy. Those that took it more slowly have little trouble staying on the program and a couple to three years later they've reached their goal and will tell you it was a breeze. All the while those who thought they could do it quickly are still struggling ten years later.

Good post!

For what it's worth, and it may not be appropriate for me to answer, I have, for a few days, done a combination of MWL and Mary's mini when I hit a plateau. I've hit a plateau twice since February where I had a week without the scale moving. I made my food choices boring...I focused on only eating one starch (potatoes) and more green veggies...When the scale moved again, I went back to my regular, satisfying, starch solution, fat melting meals with lots of different starches. I've averaged 2lbs/week weight loss since following McDougall starch solution. It's so easy and satisfying. At this point 21 weeks into being a McDougaller, I am still going full steam ahead...on any other dietary restriction I have ever done...I have quit after 12 weeks. You can do this if you are not starving yourself. I haven't decided if I want to go with the MWL diet full time because I am losing weight...slowly...but steadily.
All Love, All the Time
Lisa
WyldMoonWoman

Postby Jumpstart » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:41 pm

There have been some interesting articles in the past week based on a study done by Dr. Longo where they simulated the benefits of water only fasting by eating about 1000 calories for five days in a row and then eating a normal diet the other 25 days of the month. This was repeated for three cycles. The benefits were a loss of body fat without loss of muscle mass, no drop in basal metabolic rate, better cholesterol markers as well as those associated with inflammation and increased insulin sensitivity. It would seem you've done something similar by accident and it's working for you. GO GIRL.

Barbara
Jumpstart

Postby NightFlight » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:02 pm

I'm just so hungry on this diet. I could go long hours when I ate low carb. I like starchy foods better, but I think weight loss is not something that goes alone with this WOE.
NightFlight

Postby Debbie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:21 pm

NightFlight wrote:Eating green vegetables before starches does not lessen my hunger. At all.

Anyone else find this to be true? I'm always hungry on this diet.

Then dont eat it that way. Eat your starch first then your veggies!!! There is no rule on the order of your food. There is no required foods, only nutrients. If you are still hungry, then eat more starch.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby Debbie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:23 pm

NightFlight wrote:
ANGELOJ wrote:I agree about the green veg.

But I want to lose weight.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48609
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby FitTrey » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:43 am

How many vegetables are you eating? You can eat a whole 1 lb bag of frozen broccoli and it is only about 100 calories. If you ate that much broccoli before your starches it doesn't decrease your hunger at all? What about 2 lbs? What about 3 lbs? Surely if you ate 3 lbs of broccoli it would reduce your hunger somewhat. Vegetables are so calorie dilute you can eat as many as you want. If you are ever hungry you can always eat more vegetables or fruit. Fruit is nearly as calorie dilute as vegetables. If you are hungry, eat some vegetables or eat some fruit. You can eat more starches too, like potatoes. Potatoes are very filling for the amount of calories they have. Stay away from the processed foods, even things like whole wheat bread.
FitTrey

Postby TerriT » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:52 am

NightFlight wrote:I'm just so hungry on this diet. I could go long hours when I ate low carb. I like starchy foods better, but I think weight loss is not something that goes alone with this WOE.

Weight loss is something that goes along with this WOE, if you understand the principles of calorie density and apply them correctly. If you are always hungry, eat more starches. Choose the ones that are most satiating and low in calorie density - e.g. whole grains (not flours), potatoes and sweet potatoes.

See:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48609
TerriT

Postby NightFlight » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:41 pm

FitTrey wrote:How many vegetables are you eating? You can eat a whole 1 lb bag of frozen broccoli and it is only about 100 calories. If you ate that much broccoli before your starches it doesn't decrease your hunger at all? What about 2 lbs? What about 3 lbs? Surely if you ate 3 lbs of broccoli it would reduce your hunger somewhat. Vegetables are so calorie dilute you can eat as many as you want. If you are ever hungry you can always eat more vegetables or fruit. Fruit is nearly as calorie dilute as vegetables. If you are hungry, eat some vegetables or eat some fruit. You can eat more starches too, like potatoes. Potatoes are very filling for the amount of calories they have. Stay away from the processed foods, even things like whole wheat bread.

I like apples and pears; I go bananas over bananas. I could eat those before starches.
NightFlight

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:03 pm

How many potatoes can you eat at one sitting?

There is no reason to be hungry on MWL or TSS. Eat until you are satisfied. When you are hungry have a potato. Keep some cold potatoes on hand for a snack. Being hungry pushes us towards eating SAD. Find veggies that you like and eat them. Limit friut, but eat plenty of starch.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby karin_kiwi » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:54 pm

As the others have said, you should not be hungry eating this way even if you're trying to lose weight. If you're genuinely hungry, you should eat something.

I cannot eat all I (pathologically) want, even of healthy food, without gaining weight. But I can eat all I need and only be actually hungry for as long as it takes for me to find food. I know the difference for myself when I'm eating for need/physical hunger and when I'm eating for want/psychological hunger/other reasons. I think I'll always struggle with the latter.

I'll tend to eat even larger meals if I stuff myself with green veggies first. I don't consequently reduce the starch (usually), I just eat the regular amount plus a truckload of veggies. I haven't figured all that out yet and I've been doing this a while. So I'll agree with you that filling your stomach with the veggies first doesn't guarantee you eat less.

Have you posted what you actually eat for each meal, each day? It's quite possible you're over-restricting yourself. Or eating stuff that's actually pretty calorie dense (so you don't lose weight) but very non-filling (small volume, don't feel like you've eaten). But if you post the details then people here can comment on a reality rather than speculate what's going on. And it also matters how overweight you are.
All time high 275+ lbs/125+ kgs (maxed out scale!). Was a size 26-28. * * * Fastest 10 km (6.25 miles) run time 55.30; half marathon time 2:13.49.

Dealing with the maintaining huge weight loss thing... imperfectly and with some challenges.
karin_kiwi

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program