Buns in 2018

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Buns in 2018

Postby verovegan » Sat May 12, 2018 7:45 pm

Buns--- I feel your pain.
I am an emotional eater and whenever something happens that makes me unhappy I turn to food. However I don't tend to do that as much on a plant-based diet as I did before I started eating this way.
verovegan

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun May 13, 2018 10:05 am

Quinda wrote:Every single day Breakfast is a very large bowl of Old Fashioned Oatmeal with lots of raisins and cinnamon added.
Lunch is huge baked potato (a pound or more) and steamed broccoli or kale, both plain except for salt.
Supper is huge baked potato with kale.

This is all I ever eat except if I get hungry at night I eat raisin bran with soy milk. I never tire of these things and I eat only these things at restaurants too.

This is a great idea. I’d have to choose something besides oatmeal because it leaves me hungry by 10:30 every time I have it for breakfast, but what a wonderful simplification of the McDougall program
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon May 14, 2018 7:47 am

It occurred to me this morning, the bean soup I've been enjoying for several meals in the past week or so has got to have fat in it. It was made with ham hocks. Though I pick the meat out, there's fat in it that has permeated the whole soup. :\

Also thinking about my tendency to veer off plan on the weekends. Not sure what to think about it, but it sure seems to be a pattern.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue May 15, 2018 7:48 am

Got busy in the kitchen last night, and made a big batch of rice. I made a recipe that I remember from the FIRST time I went McDougall, 25 years ago. Rice, black beans, and a tomato salad. It was in the old yellow "The McDougall Plan" book and one of the recipes in there that I really liked.

I'm bringin it back. ;-)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue May 15, 2018 3:49 pm

verovegan wrote:Buns--- I feel your pain.
I am an emotional eater and whenever something happens that makes me unhappy I turn to food. However I don't tend to do that as much on a plant-based diet as I did before I started eating this way.

It's been that way for me my whole life, but has been changing recently thanks to my eating strictly by the rules of "no seconds, no snacks, no sweets except on days that start with S...SOMETIMES"... eating that way helped me with food sanity more than anything else I've ever done. And do you know, that popcorn was not even satisfying.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed May 16, 2018 7:38 am

scrambled eggs over toast with vegan brown gravy for breakfast. Oh man it was good! I regret nothing. ;)

but the Brazilian black beans and rice with tomatoes that I made for dinner...YUM! so SO good. I brought some for lunch today as well.

Got to think about getting greens into my daily life.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri May 18, 2018 7:56 am

I'm going to be honest...today I couldn't care less about following the McDougall or any other plan. Yet, nothing off plan really appeals to me, either. I just feel so meh about things. Hm. Hormones?
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon May 21, 2018 7:57 am

Oof I went overboard for the weekend. No need to go into details, but I will say that Mcdougall's Revenge struck and I couldn't finish my breakfast this morning, and I'll probably be visiting the restroom frequently today. Ugh.

I made a massive batch of dal yesterday and brought some with rice for lunch today. My plan is to heat it in the microwave, and slice my cucumber while it heats up, then to a nearby park to eat. The weather is too nice to be stuck in a gray cubicle, or a funky break room all day.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue May 29, 2018 7:46 am

Generally speaking, I feel pretty good about my weekend. It didn't get out of control, like the weekends lately have been doing. I did have bean nachos using regular fatty tortilla chips though. And we ordered in Chinese last night, which was not all oily I looked at the liquids and there wasn't any oil globules. :) Anyway, I still wish I hadn't because I woke up at 4:00 am with the trots. Grand. I'm still feeling yucky and an apple usually makes things better but not this time.

Will be tossing my L.O. Moo Goo Gai Pan.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:43 am

Happy June 1!

Thinking about how to get exercise. My foot dr tells me it can't be walking, because I must rest my bum foot. Which is sad, because I love walking better than anything. Maybe the water aerobics class at the rec center nearby. SOMETHING to start building my freaking stamina.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:42 am

On Sunday we had a big family bday bash, since there are eight people in the family with birthdays in May and early June. Of course I "feasted" but as I was sitting there after indulging, I decided that, in order to gain some control, I needed to start counting my calories. So I uploaded My Fitness Pal onto my phone, and started tracking.

Hopefully having the numbers right in front of me will help me make better decisions. I'll ignore the "advice" about "too much fiber" or "watch those carbs!"... it is solely for the purpose of seeing how many calories I take in. I mean, I ate cinnamon bears for a treat on Saturday...like 500 calories worth! good Lord!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:42 am

So last night, late at night, while quietly weeping at my ridiculous plight, I ate some frozen banana not-ice cream, and poured a LOT of this delicious, super sweet, super chocolatey bourbon chocolate sauce over it. And I'm not counting that as "red" in any way, shape, or form, since the reason for eating it was I got my period.

More, in my journal.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:08 am

I am really please with the difference this weekend. Counting calories helped me keep things in control MAJORLY.

We went to a concert and bought kettle corn. We took soft caramels in and some burnt peanuts and I had two of the caramels and maybe 12 peanuts total. Along with that, I had possibly two cups of kettle corn. Impossible to say when you're nibbling out of the bag, but between the two of us, we ate less than half the bag. While the Doobies were on stage, we didn't have any at all, and only had a couple fingerfuls before Steely Dan.

the point being, my normal out of control weekend eating behavior was MUCH better this time, and that is thanks to the calorie counting, I know it.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:55 am

So, I had an open face kale samwich on whole wheat, with lemon slices. It was okay. I got satiated. But yeah, the lemon slices were a bit thick which wasn't pleasant, and I sort of choked it all down, rather than enjoying it. And nothing I could think of to prepare sounded good, really. Except a scrambled egg samwich DID sound good, but I didn't do it. Did the kale instead. And pointed out to Wylie that the kale actually has more protein than the egg, and zero cholesterol. yippee.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:49 am

Yesterday I added small amounts of nuts to two meals and added them to my fitness pal...holy cow! the fat percentage of my day shot up! My Fitness Pal has a nifty little pie chart showing the macronutrients. Anyone who says nuts are a protein snack...pfft. Fat, people. Lots of fat. So, I learned something. :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals