What I'm Eating - MWL

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: What I'm Eating - MWL

Postby Qwerty988 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:39 am

7-12-18

Overdid it w my wrist - taking computer breaks :cool:

b: melon; raw veg plate; sweet potato
l: stir-fry veg & rice
d: brussels sprouts & rice
s: plantain; strawberries
7-13

b: raw veg; sweet potato
l: stir-fry & rice
d: sw potato
s: sweet potato

7-14 -18

b: melon; raw veg; plantain; oven fries
l: cauliflower/lettuce wraps; sw potato
d: veg fried rice
s: sw potato

7-15-18

b: melon; plantain; oven fries
l: cuke & tomato; cauliflower/lettuce wraps; black beans & rice
d:
s:
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:00 am

7/20/18

So, finally -- finally!! -- after literally not using my right hand for several days (and castor oil packs) I've had real progress. :-D

I was doing too much. I'll be back posting here soon. :)
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:41 am

7/23/18

Hi again! Here's what I've been eating: veg/bean soup and sweet potatoes -- that's mostly it! I've also had a few avo + veggie sandwiches on some oil-free bread I found. Raw food has been cucumbers, cherries & sweet mini peppers. It's been very simple, primitive and frankly I've felt the need for comfort food (hence the bread and avo).

I've taken a break from using my right hand (so no typing or pretty much anything else) lately and as a result my wrist is much better now. :-D

I can make soup again, so I plan on eating a TON of soup for a while. :)

I was thinking about how I eat, how I just usually pick a dish or two and eat it every day, over and over, until I get sick of it and eventually move on to another dish or two and eat them until I get sick of them, and so on. I always thought this was weird, but thinking about human beings in nature, it kind of makes sense, as this is how food is available to us in nature. Like, certain foods come into season and we eat a ton of them, then something else comes into season and we eat a lot of that for a while. So, that made me think maybe it's not so weird, how I get obsessed with one kind of dish and eat it constantly for a while.

Anyhow, right now it's Japanese sweet potatoes and veg/bean soup. :)
Qwerty988

Postby moonlight » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi Qwert, I'm glad you are giving your wrist the rest is needs. I just wanted to chime in on the love of Japanese sweet potatoes. My local grocery store doesn't carry them but I drive 45 minutes to the food co-op to purchase them. Sometimes that's the only reason I go to the co-op. :)
moonlight

Postby Qwerty988 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:21 am

moonlight wrote:Hi Qwert, I'm glad you are giving your wrist the rest is needs. I just wanted to chime in on the love of Japanese sweet potatoes. My local grocery store doesn't carry them but I drive 45 minutes to the food co-op to purchase them. Sometimes that's the only reason I go to the co-op. :)

Hahaha -- yes! They're so amazing, aren't they?! I really would be making them a good 90% of my diet, if I didn't have to cook real "meals" for others in my house :D
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:28 am

8/28/18

Just checking in with an update! My wrist is *almost* healed now. I'm still wearing a support brace, but I'm fine chopping and cooking now. Thank goodness!!!! :-D

(Typing is still an issue, so this is just a quick check-in.)

Last week I treated myself to an elliptical now that just moving my arm doesn't cause wrist pain anymore. I am loving it! Much easier and more pleasant than the old NordicTrack ski machine, I must say.

So, I've been more lax about my food -- more regular McDougall than MWL -- and even letting myself have some cheats -- while giving my right hand/arm a longer rest.

There's been a little weight gain, but I really don't care. I'm getting back on track now and feel confident whatever I gained will come back off. I'm VERY excited to be on track for MWL + daily exercise! Exercise is part of the MWL program, I guess... so, I'm really just happy to be following the program more closely, I guess. :nod:

Anyhow, that's my check-in. Not sure if I'll be posting my daily menus here -- or if I'll just start weighing and posting over in the monthly weight-loss group. Either way, whatever happens..... I'M SO HAPPY TO (MOSTLY) HAVE MY RIGHT HAND AGAIN! :)
Qwerty988

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi Qwerty!! :)

Glad your wrist is feeling better, if not fully healed...

You should definitely join the Weigh In Thread if you are interested..... Best thread on the Boards...

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Qwerty988 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:10 am

VegSeekingFit wrote:Hi Qwerty!! :)

Glad your wrist is feeling better, if not fully healed...

You should definitely join the Weigh In Thread if you are interested..... Best thread on the Boards...

Cheers,
Stephanie

Hiya Stephanie!

Thanks for the well wishes! And yes -- I love love love the weekly weigh-in group! Best of the boards, agreed :-D

The only thing that ever keeps me away is fear of the scale.... and how I use those numbers to psyche myself out.... and rationalize falling off-plan when they don't move down as fast as I'd like :duh:

I'm hoping to jump back in this September :nod:
Qwerty988

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:16 am

Hm, Japanese sweet potatoes...they're on stock at the Asian market I like to shop in...hmmm...
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Qwerty988 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:40 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:Hm, Japanese sweet potatoes...they're on stock at the Asian market I like to shop in...hmmm...

I vote yes!!! :unibrow:
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 am

8/29/18

Well, I'm just feeling so happy and grateful to be able to make A SALAD again!! And exercise pain-free!! So, for now, I'm going to continue posting my meals and hope this motivates me through until I start posting with the weekly weigh-in thread.

B: Big salad w rice, beans and orange-sesame dressing
L: steamed potatoes w mustard
D: cucumber; steamed brussells sprouts; japanese sw potato
S: oatmeal w banana & cocoa & peanut butter powder

Exercise: 40 minutes elliptical, woo hoooo!

8/30/18

B: veg saute w brown basmati rice
L: yellow pepper; japanese sw potato
D: big salad w rice & beans
S: choc-banana shake

Exercise: 40 mins elliptical

I watched a Chef AJ video called "what I eat for breakfast" which shows a really nice technique for cooking veggies in the morning (she eats just veggies but I have mine with rice). First she carmelizes an onion in the pan, then adds garlic along with the rest of the veggies and seasons just with balsemic and lliquid aminos (I use soy sauce). I've been using zucchini, mushroom, kale and throwing in a whole bag of frozen brussells sprouts -- yum!

I'm a volume eater and this really fills me up for a long time. :)

8/31/18

Gah, eating A LOT lately. I'm going to try and scale it back a bit. :?

B: cuke & sweet pepper strips; japanese sw potato
L: saute veggies w rice
D: japanese sw potato; leftovers (sesame soy curls + rice)
S: spicy chocolate shake

Exercise: 40 mins elliptical

Well, the exercise is making me extra sleepy and extra snacky. I'm just going with it for now. The shakes are helpful because I load them up with fresh ginger and cayenne and they REALLY help with my still-achey wrist. I'm taking tomorrow off from exercise -- and no cooking for the fam -- to give my wrist a day of rest. ;-)

9/1/18

B: japanese sw potato
L: miso-veggie soup; cold potato w mustard
D: miso soup; oven fries
S: japanese sw potato

Exercise: none

9/2/18

B: oats w banana & cinnamon
L: brussells sprouts & oven fries
D: I forget!!!!! Busy working. :mad:
S:

Exercise: 45 mins elliptical

9/3/18

Out of Japanesee sw potatoes, hungry and picking at crummy leftovers all last night, so I made sure to pay attention and cook up a nice big bowl of saute veggies and rice for the morning. That wasn't fun.

B: veggie saute & rice
L;
D:
S:

Agh -- another crazy busy day overtook me!!! Got my workout and my veggies in, then got too busy and skipped meals until drive-thru, picking up my son. COULD HAVE gone to Wendy's, but we did Taco Bell instead. I got two bean burritos and wolfed them down. They were fresco style (vegan) but tons of oil added, I'm sure.

:angry:
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:49 am

9/4/18

Okay -- fresh day, fresh week, fresh start! ;)

B: veggie saute w rice
L: oven fries
D: veggie stew w rice
S:

9/5/18

Pretty sore this morning, might skip the workout today (or not). Also need to remember to make veggies half my plate! I have a day off, so hoping to put up a lot of sauerkraut, too.

B: Veg saute w rice
L: japanese sw potato
D: big salad w rice & corn
S: oil-free toast & marmalade

Exercise: 35 mins elliptical

9/6/18

Hmmm... not really sticking to MWL guidelines right now, more like regular McDougall. It's okay, whatever works!

L: big salad w rice & corn
D: veg curry & rice
S:

Exercise: 25 mins elliptical

And still no sauerkraut! I'm afraid of using my wrist too much. Soon, though.

9/7/18

B: toast & marmalade
L: veg curry & rice
D: japanesee sw potato
S: raw veg; veg curry & rice

Exercise: 35 mins elliptical

Hmmm, I really love having a slice (or two) of this Aldi's bread. But I know it's not MWL compliant to have flour products. Also, I'm having white jasmine rice with this curry -- that also contains low-fat coconut milk. So, I just feel like I'm blowing it big time. As much as I ADORE this curry -- which is mostly red lentils + veggies -- and the recipe is from High Carb Hannah, who is McDougall compliant most of the time, I really feel like it's just TOO delish and I'm better off sticking to my potatoes and simple, no-recipe meals.... :?

I will however give myself kudos for being consistent with the exercise. Really enjoying this machine! (My time is fluctuating because I'm playing with the resistance.) :-)

9/8/17

B: veg curry & rice :shock:
L: salad + japanese sw potato
D: brussells sprouts + japanese sw potato
S:

Exercise: 48 mins elliptical

Yep: if it's in the house, it's in my mouth. :\ I just can't make these crazy-delish recipes. There are, however, recipes I can make for the fam that don't tempt me, and that's what I have to stick to until I reach my goal weight.

Happy about the workout today, though. The goal is an hour a day -- I think that's within reach!

9/9/18

L: big salad
D: OFF-PLAN :|
S:

Exercise: 50 mins elliptical

Wow, what great sweaty workout this a.m.!! :-D

Full disclosure, though -- I am STRUGGLING with resisting alll the ridiculously tempting snacks in this house!!!!!! Over the past three days, I've grabbed a few handfulls of potato chips... "gourmet" chocolate-drizzled caramel corn.... even two of those chocolate mini-donuts!!!!! I don't even know WHY this is happening. I'm walking through the kitchen, there they are... open, beckoning... and I just TAKE THEM AND SHOVE THEM IN MY MOUTH!

So, this is telling me I need to overhaul how I'm eating, because usually I don't have this problem avoiding all the snacks around here. :|

I think it's a combination of the workout and the last remnants of my slacking off on strictness due to the wrist. Like, I think "well, I've exercised, a few potato chips won't hurt". And then, because I've been letting myself have things like toast or higher fat curry, my willpower is lower than normal.

Also, frankly, these workouts are making me both hungrier and sleepier! They ARE affecting me -- and I need to adapt to those changes and not just cave and grab a little frosted mini donut because THAT WAY LIES MADNESS! :lol:

Well, I'll see how I manage today. Maybe just being aware of this and making myself accountable will be enough to rein it in. :)
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:15 am

9/10/18

B: big salad + japanese sw potato
L: veg saute + rice
D: stewed veggies + rice
S:

Exercise: 50 mins elliptical

So grateful for this elliptical!!! Whatever confusion I'm having re eating, this exercise regimen is absolutely helping me cope and feel so positive and good :)

9/11/18

B: steel-cut oats w spinach, banana, apple & cinnamon
D: stewed veggies & rice
S: Japanese sw potato

Exercise: I keep planning to take a day off.... maybe today? I sure woke up feeling sore this a.m.

9/12/18

B: big salad w corn & rice
D: I forget! :duh:
S: japanese sw potato (x2)

Exercise: 25 mins elliptical

9/13/18

D:
S:

Exercise: 60 mins elliptical, woo hooo!

***UPDATE: I'm keeping up with my daily workouts and eating McDougall compliant! Focusing on a work project atm and will be back again to start posting on a daily basis once I'm ready to starting weighing in again. :-)
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:24 am

10/23/18

Just a quick check-in!

I've been keeping up with the daily elliptical workouts, between 30-45 mins generally, only missing an odd day here or there. Also been good with the program, gearing up for a Nov. 2nd weigh-in so I can re-join the monthly weigh-in group. :-D

Nothing exciting or radically new to report menu-wise, except for a new obsession with cornmeal mush. I mean, YUM! Where has this been all my life???? I have it with a mashed banana, cinnamon, blueberries and about a cup of minced spinach leaves. It's keeping me full a lot longer than the steel-cut oats, not sure why.

So, overall, feeling quite positive and happy to be on the right path as the holidays approach.

Oh, how I hate hate hate that scale.... but logging my daily meals/exercise just became too tediouos and was becoming oppressive rather than motivating..... so, I'm thinking a monthly or bi-weekly weigh-in can be tolerated in exchange for the support of the group :)
Qwerty988

Postby Idgie » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:14 am

I love cornmeal mush, too!

I'm just about ready (emotionally, anyway) to stop logging every bit of food, and I've decided to stop once I've had a month of 100% compliant days. This also motivates me to have more compliant days. :-)
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals