What I'm Eating - MWL

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: What I'm Eating - MWL

Postby Qwerty988 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:35 am

6/21/18

B: raw veg plate; brussels sprouts w lemon; sweet potato
L: blueberries; potato w veggies & mustard
D: sweet potato
S: bowl of jasmine rice

6/22/18

I ate a lot yesterday -- not because of hunger. Mostly boredom, because I'm spending too much time sitting around while this wrist heals. Also out of self-pity, because I am so DONE with this wrist thing!!! I have plants left in containers that I haven't been able to put in the ground all this time. My supply of kombucha has run out and it'll take weeks to get back up to speed. Ugh. :angry:

Oh well. Still avoiding the scale, but checked measurements and feel okay about them. It's a journey and I'm not rushing or judging myself here. When my wrist heals, I'll start hitting the gym again. :)

b: strawberries; raw veg plate; sweet potato
l: stir-fry broc, mushrooms & spinach w jasmine rice
d: sweet potato
s: margaritas!! :\

6/23/18

OKAY. So, I'm fine with resisting the social food temptations, but it seems I keep getting swayed by the weekend cocktail thing! :duh:

I'm going to have to make it a policy to either completely eliminate alcohol, or just accept that every now and then cocktails are going to happen. Because what doesn't work for me, long-term, is feeling bad or guilty anytime it happens.

b: strawberries; raw veg; sweet potato
l: cauliflower & potato w mustard; bananas
d: just a little bowl of rice - how sad!
s:

6/24/18

b: strawberries; sweet potato; raw veggies
L: steamed brussels sprouts; sweet potato
D: steamed broccoli & spinach w rice
S: banana

Now in possession of many, many pounds of Japanese sweet potatoes :twisted:
Last edited by Qwerty988 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:26 am

6/25/18

b: strawberries; raw veggies; sweet potato
l: cucumber; steamed broc w jasmine rice
d: minnestrone + rice
s: minnestrone; banana

What's working for me right now is meals in courses that are easy to put together with one hand. I have help, but I'd rather use that for the shopping end to bring in supplies than the 3x daily prep end.

I do miss salads, though.
Qwerty988

Postby verde » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:28 am

Qwerty988 wrote:6/25/18

b: strawberries; raw veggies; sweet potato
l: cucumber; steamed broc w jasmine rice
d: minnestrone + rice
s: minnestrone; banana

What's working for me right now is meals in courses that are easy to put together with one hand. I have help, but I'd rather use that for the shopping end to bring in supplies than the 3x daily prep end.

I do miss salads, though.

Sorry for intruding, but what happened to your hand?

You sound a lot like me two years ago, I fell, broke a finger on my right hand and injured my left knee severely ... Suddenly I couldn't get groceries done easily, and cooking (especially cutting anythin) with only my left hand was messy to say the least! My right hand was all bundled up in a material that could not become wet, so I had to find a plastic bag to put it on and wrap the bag on my wrist with an elastic in order to be able to do the dishes (no dishwasher). Somehow I managed to get by on my own!
Easiest food was grains and frozen veggies!
After a few months it healed...

I hope you get better soon too!
verde

Postby Qwerty988 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:24 am

Hi, verde! :-D

Wow, yes, I'm in a similar situation atm, thanks for the good wishes! I have just a small wrist fracture -- of course it's my right and I'm right-handed -- so it's pretty comical watching me attempt to cook with just the one left hand. I'm 3 weeks in, so hopefully just another few weeks and I should be back to normal.

And yes -- grains and frozen veg are everything!! I've also stocked up on Japanese sweet potatoes, which I can just throw in the microwave and eat plain. That's really been the big take-away for me through this, that I can live without recipes.

Anyhow, thanks for stopping by and reminding me there's light at the end of the tunnel!

:)
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:25 am

6/26/18

b: tomato & cucumber; sweet potato
l: --
d: minnestrone & spinach; sweet potato
s: raw veg

6/27//18

b: strawberries; sweet potato
l: potato, cauliflower & spinach w mustard
d: brussels sprouts; corn on cob
s: raw veg plate; rice
Qwerty988

Postby verde » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:57 am

Qwerty988 wrote:Hi, verde! :-D

Wow, yes, I'm in a similar situation atm, thanks for the good wishes! I have just a small wrist fracture -- of course it's my right and I'm right-handed -- so it's pretty comical watching me attempt to cook with just the one left hand. I'm 3 weeks in, so hopefully just another few weeks and I should be back to normal.

And yes -- grains and frozen veg are everything!! I've also stocked up on Japanese sweet potatoes, which I can just throw in the microwave and eat plain. That's really been the big take-away for me through this, that I can live without recipes.

Anyhow, thanks for stopping by and reminding me there's light at the end of the tunnel!

Hang in there! Incredible that I found you here! Yes, the hand I fractured back then was also my right hand (Im right handed too)! I think it's common: the side you use the most has higher probability of injury!
Hang in there! Nothing is impossible!
I wish I had sweet potatoes that teased decent here but I live in Portugal and most sweet potatoes at the store are too expensive,mtoo stringy and fibrous and fall apart after cooking....not to mention they aren't even tasty. Much rather have regular potatoes or grains.
I've had good sweet potatoes in the past, can't wait to travel and taste them again!

Big hugs, and if you need anything, just pm me!
If you ever come to Portugal I'll show you around! ;)
verde

Postby Qwerty988 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:01 am

verde wrote:
Qwerty988 wrote:Hi, verde! :-D

Hang in there! Incredible that I found you here! Yes, the hand I fractured back then was also my right hand (Im right handed too)! I think it's common: the side you use the most has higher probability of injury!
Hang in there! Nothing is impossible!
I wish I had sweet potatoes that teased decent here but I live in Portugal and most sweet potatoes at the store are too expensive,mtoo stringy and fibrous and fall apart after cooking....not to mention they aren't even tasty. Much rather have regular potatoes or grains.
I've had good sweet potatoes in the past, can't wait to travel and taste them again!

Big hugs, and if you need anything, just pm me!
If you ever come to Portugal I'll show you around! ;)

Thank you so much!! :-D

I'm not such a fan of American sweet potatoes, but the Japanese ones -- the type sold by vendors as street food in Japan -- are so goodl I could live on them alone! I'm fortunate to have a new Indian market open up near me and they sell produce the regular stores don't carry.

I've heard that Dr. McDougall has said people could live on just brocolli and sweet potatoes and I might just give that a try! :D
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:07 am

6/28/18

A week of clean eating has paid off and I've lost an inch off my waist. Words can't describe how good that feels!! :-D

However, I'm still 2 inches higher than I was when I went off the rails last year.... :\

b: tomato & pepper; sweet potato
l: potato & cauliflower w mustard
d: tomato; brussels sprouts; sweet potato
s:
Qwerty988

Postby verde » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:00 am

Last edited by verde on Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
verde

Postby Qwerty988 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:03 pm

verde wrote:Do you have a hard time knowing how much to eat? I'm desperately trying to break a cycle I got myself into of having cravings before bed, giving in to them (mostly with lots of fruit), and then I'm not hungry in the morning...which leads to start eating later in the day and consequently being hungry late at night! Ugh... I really miss my oatmeal in the morning but I can't get to it when I'm still digesting last nights food... Not to mention that I don't sleep as well due to late eating.
How do I break this cycle? Any advice? It's so silly but our minds really get used to anything...even the days I'm not really hungry, my mind is like: ok, I'm waking you up, it's 2am and It's time for eating during this night. :| I need and want to to change!...

Hiya verde :-D

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling! Are you craving food when you're not physically hungry? What helps me with cravings is to follow the MWL guidelines very strictly, eat super-plain foods and increase the non-starchy veggies to 50% of the plate.

I'm not sure if you're doing MWL or the regular McDougall program, but I know on MWL fruit is limited to 2 servings a day. Maybe that would help you?
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:05 pm

6/29/18

b: oats w spinach, cacao, banana & peanut butter
l: brussells sprouts; sweet potato
d: carrots; stir-fry veggie & rice
s:
Qwerty988

Postby verde » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:16 am

Thank you. May I know your name?

Mine is Joana. Anyway, yes, I'm not trying to loose weight but I'm working on lowering my cholesterol and triglycerides levels, so it's basically the same prescription, except that when you no longer need to loose weight and you eat according to appetite on the MWL program, you don't loose weight. Your body naturally reaches its perfect weight.
I don't necessarily need to cut down so much on fruit, but beyond that it's all the same prescription: sos free, no processed junk vegan food, no nuts nor avocados.
Tons of potatoes, rice, beans, and all the non starchy veggies desired. Dr. Esselstyn also focuses on oatmeal every day, and greens every day as well.

Pretty much what you're doing, isn't it?
verde

Postby Qwerty988 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:15 am

verde wrote:Pretty much what you're doing, isn't it?

Yes! But I'm wondering if maybe allowing more fruit -- especially in the evenings -- is what's triggering your cravings?

Just generally, for me, the more potatoes and non-starchy veggies I eat, the fewer cravings I have. When I bring in more recipes, more variety of grains, more beans, more fruit -- that's when I start to get pulled into the pleasure trap.

(Of course, I'm also super-sensitive to it! ;) )
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:18 am

6/30/18

b: potato & cauliflower w mustard
l: raw bok choy; stir-fry veg w rice
d:
s: sweet potato; tomatoes; kimchi & rice; a peach

Feeling down about my wrist today. Things are very difficult to manage and I'm just kind of over it. :\

On the plus side, I'm getting some help putting up a new batch of kombucha today! :)

7/1/18

b: raw veg plate; sweet potato
l: bok choy; stir-fry veggies & rice
d: sweet potato
s: kimchi & rice

Treated myself to a few small jars of vegan kimchi since I (a) can't make my own with one hand and (b) seem mired in self-pity this weekend. :)

7/2/18

b: oats w banana, spinach & blueberries
l: raw veg plate; sweet potato
d: potato & cauliflower w mustard
s: kimchi & rice

I'm eating too much food :shock:

7/3/18

b: roasted plaintain -- :eek: So good!! Where have you been all my life???? :lol:
l : stir-fry veggies w rice; cherries
d: leftover stir-fry veg w rice & kimchi
s:

7/4/18

Wooo hooo -- 4th of July!! Going off-plan for a day that includes cocktails, carrot hot dogs w non-compliant buns, berry cobbler. etc... :-D

7/5/18

Okay, yesterday was fun, but today I start working my way back. :)

b: cherries; oven fries
l: stir-fry broc & mushrooms w rice
d: carrot dogs w rice & kimchi
s: leftover carrot dog :shock: They're TOO good!!! (Also I hate to waste food and nobody's eating them but me....)

7/6/18

I'm doing crummy. :-( Time to take my own advice and focus on getting my veggies and cuttinng out the slippery-slope foods: kimchi, white rice, noncompliant hot dog buns.....

I can break free from the pleasure trap!!

b: stir-fry veggie & (a little) rice
l: oven fries
d:
s:
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:30 am

7/7/18

Gah -- I can't remember what I ate last night! Oh yes: I made veggie chili w steel-cut oats added, it was good! Haven't had beans in a loooooong time. Absolutely no veggies in that, though.

I'm still caught in the pleasure trap and still eating too much. I must get to the store and stock up on snackable raw veggies -- right now I've got plenty of starches, broc & spinach, but that's all. My wrist is much, much better but not really up to cooking or shopping much.

I'm still afraid to go to the gym, or even go for a walk. I'm afraid of falling on this wrist before it's healed. :-(

b: stir-fry broc, spinach & mushrooms w rice; sweet potato
l: carrots; corn on cob
d:
s: rice w (the last of the) kimchi (bye, kimchi :crybaby: )

7/8/18

Wrist acting up, cant cook or type :shock:

b: sweet poato
l: sweet potato
d: stir-fry veggies w rice
s: carrots & cuke
Qwerty988

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals