Keeping it 500-1000mg sodium so I can breathe :) xCHF

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Keeping it 500-1000mg sodium so I can breathe :) xCHF

Postby explore2learn » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:12 pm

Good morning everyone !

I am new here to this board, and thought it might help me build some structure if I post often about the low salt foods I plan to eat each day. It would be cool to hear from anyone else who is remotely interested as well :) The 500-1000mg sodium is a limit I set for myself (based on my research) because it seems to really help me fight the moderate congestive heart failure I was diagnosed with in March 2016.

Please don't be put off by how plain these first posted menus will be. The foods I am starting off with are the basic simple plain ones that I know I like. I have tried fancy recipes in the past and have not done well enough to eat them, but I expect that as I recover I will be able to expand my foods to include fun and new recipes.

Also the salt is something you really can change your taste for pretty quickly. I never used to think canned refried beans were salty, or salsa, or baked beans, or mashed potatoes. But now they are way too salty for me, and the plain stuff tastes so much fuller and better.

(Intro you can skip) I thought it was some weird kind of asthma where I could not breathe but meds did not help. Knowing that is is CHF was actually a type of relief (?!?) because it puts the control back in my hands to treat it with real food. I'm not on any meds, a decision that I researched a lot for myself, everyone has to follow their own research. In the first 2 weeks after being diagnosed with CHF in March 2016 I was on target eating real food within my sodium limit and felt so much better very quickly. Then addict amnesia took over and I went back to eating a mix of real food and junk and stayed sick short of breath etc. for the next 7 months. Varying between feeling almost barely ok, and feeling desperate for breath with even basic actions like walking down the hall. Sounds so crazy, and is really frustrating.

So now everything I eat is either naturally salt-free, or no salt added, with a few measured additions of low salt items to stay in the limit. Some days I had to be careful to get at least 500 mg, but I think it is important for my own functioning to have at least that much salt.

That means everything has to be stuff I cooked at home, so I know how much sodium is in it. It's actually nice to know what all is in the foods you eat.

Today November 15, 2016

Breakfast-Trader Joe's Old Fashioned Oats 1/2c in 1c water and microwaved for 2 mins. perfect and fast. (I like them plain the best, but add whatever you like, especially granulated maple sugar, actually makes a great dessert or light dinner)

Elevenses- Beans and Corn Tortillas soup- I make beans (no presoaking) in the crockpot on high for 6 hours using a package of Rancho Gordo beans (they have so many great varieties check out their website), and 6 cups of water, 3 cloves of garlic or minced from a jar, 1 cut up onion (diced or chunks). In the last hour of cooking you can add spices if you want, but I like them with just the onion and garlic.The beans come out so creamy and tender, they can be eaten whole, added to soups, or mashed for "refiried". The corn tortillas I tear into small squares and stir into the bowl of beans before I heat them up and it's great.

Lunch- Mashed plain Potatoes and Veg soup- I peel russet or yukon gold potatoes and boil without salt, then mash them with some of the cooking water. They are great by themselves very filling and satisfying, but also good with veg soup stirred in gives the soup more body. The veg soup I make is 4c low sodium Trader Joe's veg broth, 2c water, an onion diced, a pkg of sliced mushrooms (maybe dice them too) a package of fresh or frozen spinach if you like, maybe some diced zucchini, carrots, and you can add any veg you like or have on hand. I used to add 1-2T of low sodium soy sauce and that adds 60-100 megs of extra sodium to a serving depending on what else you added and how much you have at once. This latest batch has no soy sauce to see what it is like, and it's ok, but it misses some of the depth. You can make this soup as a Mexican soup by adding chili powder and smoked paprika, or Italian soup by adding a can of diced or crushed tomatoes and some Italian Seasoning, or maybe another combo of seasonings you like. The main part is it is fast and easy to assemble and cook.

Afternoon Tea- Bean Soft Tacos- I take 2 or 3 fresh corn tortillas and top them with some of the beans I cooked (maybe mashed, but not necessary) then microwave them for maybe 1 minute and top with fresh diced onion, tomato, lettuce, and maybe a thin slice of avocado (but they are pretty rich). I sometimes use hot sauce, but it is really high in sodium so I am careful. Store bought salsa is way too salty for me, but sometimes I make my own with diced tomatoes and onions.

Dinner- cold Hummus Sandwich or warm toasted Mashed Potato Sandwich- Hummus sandwich is 2 slices Trader Joe's or Alvarado St. No Salt Bread, maybe toasted, spread on some home made no-salt or oil hummus and some lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber. The mashed potato version is a slice of toast topped with warm mashed potatoes, a slice of tomato and some diced onion. I used to love mashed potato and stuffing sandwiches (with cranberry sauce), but have to figure out a no salt stuffing type thing to use instead. Even plain normal bread has 1/5 of my daily lower limit of sodium so I don't like to use that.

Dessert- in general i have never been a dessert person, but if I really wanted to I could have a Lundberg Honey Nut or Cinnamon Rice Cake, or some fruit.

I try to spread out my meals enough that I am never really wanting a snack, I'd rather just eat a little real food and be more satisfied. I don't tend to eat much at a sitting, but I do eat as much as I want to. Then I get hungry sooner than I did on the SAD, so I eat again more often. That is why I have 5 meals a day instead of 3. Works for me :)
explore2learn

Re: Keeping it 500-1000mg sodium so I can breathe :) xCHF

Postby explore2learn » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:33 am

Day 2 posting, (but Day 3 of eating better).

Turns out I over estimated the amount of food I would want to eat. I did not eat the oatmeal breakfast, or the sandwich for dinner. For Afternoon Tea I had a plain baked potato from Wendy's because I was out and did not bring anything. Those are pretty good. And for Dinner I ate the Bean and Corn tortilla soup again because it is so fast and good.

These menus will sound very dull, but they are simple and I know I like the food, they are easy and basically "fast food". They will get more variety as I feel better. I am still short of breath often because it is only the 3rd day of eating better, but I am definitely improving.

I used to sprinkle a little salt at the table if I felt like it, that way it is the least salt for the greatest effect because it actually hits your taste buds. I just don't use it that often anymore.

Today Wednesday November 16, 2016 the plan is

Breakfast- Mashed potatoes with Veg soup
Elevenses- Bean Tacos with diced tomatoes and onions, and crunchy lettuce
Lunch- Probably the veg soup and potatoes again because I have so much of it and it is easy to heat up
Afternoon Tea- broccoli (Steam Fresh microwave in bag) and mashed potatoes.
Dinner- maybe oatmeal for a light dinner tonight
explore2learn

Postby explore2learn » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:43 pm

November 17, 2016
Day 4 of being on track

Third day of trying to post a menu for me, but I was so busy all day this is more of a review.
Breakfast- veg soup with mashed potato
Elevenses- had to skip because i was at the car repair place
Lunch- beans and torn up corn tortillas- soooo good
Afternoon Tea- skipped because the plumber was here for 2 hours
Dinner- unsalted fries from In-n-Out, tasted fine but too oily to do again.
When I got home it was so nice to have some cozy normal oatmeal.

What a long day, and a very expensive one between the plumber (new faucets for the tub) and the car repairs, but I am very lucky to have been able to fix those really important things today.

Best wishes to anyone out there :)
explore2learn

Postby explore2learn » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:16 am

Day 5 of eating better. I need to post this in the morning to help me plan, not late at night lol. Just a brief note that today went pretty well with more bean and tortilla soup, and the veg soup with mashed potatoes. Those are all gone now and I cooked more super easy delicious crockpot beans today.

Breakfast was oatmeal, lunch was beans and corn tortillas with lettuce tomato and onion, dinner was mashed potatoes with some of the veg soup. Tomorrow will be a small challenge because I have to go out to a birthday lunch for a family member, but I think I will do the old "eat beforehand" and push food around the plate a bit maybe. I don't want to be the focus of attention there.

I am down 8 pounds so far and that is mostly water and that is exactly what i need to get rid of to help me breathe :)

Best wishes everyone.
explore2learn

Postby mhcarrs » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:14 pm

[quote]

Same boat different lake. I have HF and PH. I keep it mild by doing some of the Megaheart.com stuff. Warning most of his stuff is animal based. So you really have to be careful. But he does have some great advice on keeping the ability to breath.

I go to Stanford HF clinic and have a really good HF cardiologist. But the best education I received was from Dr. J. Edwardo Rame from UCSF HF program. He helped me with diet and keeping the fluid down. It has been over ten years and I'm feeling pretty good. I always workout one day and rest the next. Or when I travel I sight see walking one day and car site see the next. I do use a diuretic a love hate relationship. But necessary for me.

I think it is funny I pay more for unsalted. I am paying for them to put less in food, crazy irony. I now go to Stanford. Because Rame left for the East Coast. I like the HF Physician Assistant she is a vegan. They promote under 500mg sodium per day. It has worked for me.

I use a cooler when I travel. I put in safe food. Or I eat at grocery stores when I travel. That way I can read the label. If I get something salted by a chef by accident I never taste the food only the salt. So I send it back. My eating out rules: ask a lot of questions. I tell I have a "bad" heart. :unibrow: And I check my symptoms afterwards: ankle swelling, fingers swelling, and so on.

The doctors told me mine was caused by untreated sleep apnea. Some people get it after childbirth and chemo. At least that was what the doctors told me.

Nice meeting you,

Mary :nod:
mhcarrs

Postby explore2learn » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi Mary :) Nice to meet you. You mentioned PH, what is that? It's great to hear you have a good cardiologist and PA who are promoting a sensible sounding sodium limit and vegan too :) The workout and sightsee on and off sound like good ideas too. The website you mentioned megaheart.com is also pretty interesting, thank you for mentioning it. The cooler you pack for travel sounds very handy, I also pack an insulated lunchbox and lunch bag of foods for the day when I am going out, or visiting family. I like to have plenty of delicious safe foods with me, so they are faster than fast food lol.

I had not posted in a long while for two reasons. The first is I had not been staying in my limit for more than 20 days at a time, and often more like only 2 or 3 days, until a real deadline started 8 days ago (I have to get a new echo in 4 months to show my anesthesiologist so I can get a dental implant for recently extracted tooth). The second reason is my menus were super boring to the outside world. But I am back posting again for a little bit to say this is working better now for me. I am now down 65 pounds from last year and feeling much better. It's been probably 20 years since my weight was below 310.

One thing that changed is I finally started seeing my meals as mainly a simple starch with a few added veg, instead of as a portion of a recipe of mixed ingredients. The other thing that is really helping is that I am keeping it simple for me. I don't want to cook every day, and I always want food in my fridge that I can just warm up, or pack and go. But I also don't want to cook up a big recipe (like soup, or pasta, or chili) right now because I get tired of eating it. I make a few days worth of diced potatoes or rice, beans, and baked sweet potatoes, and a few different veggies that I can mix and match for meals and packed lunches. They really are not recipes anymore. I really like that with the food so simple, I am satisfied but not overeating. When I was cooking seasoned recipes, I would get tired of eating the same thing for so many meals. But now with the mix and match basic ingredients, I can vary my meals and not get tired of the basic ingredients.

My main daily starches at this point (that I like to always have one, or more on hand) are
potatoes boiled diced russet
sweet potatoes baked (Japanese, purple, Jewel, or Garnet),
rice (amazing rice with the germ but not brown, called Tamaki Haiga rice, short grain a bit sticky, fluffy tender and fresh. I buy it at my local Korean market, and it is about $35 for 15 pounds. https://smile.amazon.com/Tamaki-Haiga-S ... ords=haiga)
beans (my fav are some of the many varieties from Rancho Gordo, they are so fresh and delicious https://www.ranchogordo.com/collections/heirloom-beans) I like the Cranberry, Mayacoba, Pinto, and especially the Garbanzos for home made fresh no salt or oil hummus. They are all so easy to cook, just use a crockpot and add the 1 pound bag to 6 cups of water and leave on high for 6 hours. Other folks with an Instant Pot will cook them in significantly less time.
split pea soup It is just peas broth and water- 2 cups dried split peas, 3 cups water and 4 cups (a box) of Trader Joe's Low Sodium Vegetable broth in the crockpot for 6 hours.

For my meals I take one (or more) of those basic starches as 70-90% of my bowl or plate and add some extras for variety. My current favorite extras are
steamed veg such as broccoli, green beans, asparagus, artichokes, and in summer fresh peas or corn on the cob
grilled veg in dry pan one or more of these eggplant, zucchini, mushroom, onion. This is like Japanese teppanyaki style but no sauce, oil, or salt. They get a bit carmelized and are so good. Really great with rice.
roasted veg in oven- in a covered casserole dish or on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper I roast all or some of the following eggplant onion cherry tomatoes mushrooms whole garlic cloves zucchini. Tastes like pizza, or great for pasta, or on toast.
fruit fresh oranges bananas blueberries, summer strawberries peaches etc, and also frozen blueberries are really good as a snack or stirred into your oatmeal. Frozen strawberries are what my son uses to make his "ice cream" (into a food processor he pours a bag of frozen strawberries, soy milk and some sugar then blends till smooth and pours into containers for the freezer.)

If I was traveling I would maybe bring those "Santa Fe Culinary Refried Beans" (dried quick cooking plain pinto) that Mary McDougall talked about in her Meal Planing video from the recent Feb 2017 Advanced Study Weekend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTNzYRukbc8&t=841s they are on Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... PDKIKX0DER Also I would bring a microwave safe bowl, and my favorite Trader Joe's Old Fashioned Organic Oats (just 1/2 c oats to 1c water and 2 minutes in the microwave). I would hopefully find some sweet potatoes and russet in the grocery nearby and bake them in the microwave too. Also frozen veg for the microwave. It might be faster and cheaper than eating out.

I am actually relieved that the salt limit has made my packaged and dining out food choices so simple. I don't have to worry about finding a specific product, or ask for special accommodations in the restaurant beyond no added oil or salt on a basic baked potato or steamed vegetable. Pretty much everything else they sell will be loaded with salt. I imagine there are some places that cook with fresh ingredients that can make something you can eat. Most chain places seem to use pre-packaged foods these days. If other people out there have different experiences with packaged or dining out food I always like to hear them.

This is all just a bunch of things that I am doing right now that are working for me, and I am happier than I have been in a very long time :)

I just now made a little ticker for fun (edited July 1, 2017 because the code broke. When this post was written on March 19, 2017 I had lost about 65 lbs so far)
Last edited by explore2learn on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
explore2learn

Postby veggierosa56 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:22 am

Hi and thanks for posting the links for the rice and beans. I am checking them out. Great post.
veggierosa56

Postby mhcarrs » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:55 am

[quote="explore2learn"]Hi Mary :) Nice to meet you. You mentioned PH, what is that? It's great to hear you have a good cardiologist and PA who are promoting a sensible sounding sodium limit and vegan too :) The workout and sightsee on and off sound like good ideas too. The website you mentioned megaheart.com is also pretty interesting, thank you for mentioning it. The cooler you pack for travel sounds very handy, I also pack an insulated lunchbox and lunch bag of foods for the day when I am going out, or visiting family. I like to have plenty of delicious safe foods with me, so they are faster than fast food lol.

I had not posted in a long while for two reasons. The first is I had not been staying in my limit for more than 20 days at a time, and often more like only 2 or 3 days, until a real deadline started 8 days ago (I have to get a new echo in 4 months to show my anesthesiologist so I can get a dental implant for recently extracted tooth). The second reason is my menus were super boring to the outside world. But I am back posting again for a little bit to say this is working better now for me. I am now down 65 pounds from last year and feeling much better. It's been probably 20 years since my weight was below 310.

One thing that changed is I finally started seeing my meals as mainly a simple starch with a few added veg, instead of as a portion of a recipe of mixed ingredients. The other thing that is really helping is that I am keeping it simple for me. I don't want to cook every day, and I always want food in my fridge that I can just warm up, or pack and go. But I also don't want to cook up a big recipe (like soup, or pasta, or chili) right now because I get tired of eating it. I make a few days worth of diced potatoes or rice, beans, and baked sweet potatoes, and a few different veggies that I can mix and match for meals and packed lunches. They really are not recipes anymore. I really like that with the food so simple, I am satisfied but not overeating. When I was cooking seasoned recipes, I would get tired of eating the same thing for so many meals. But now with the mix and match basic ingredients, I can vary my meals and not get tired of the basic ingredients.

My main daily starches at this point (that I like to always have one, or more on hand) are
potatoes boiled diced russet
sweet potatoes baked (Japanese, purple, Jewel, or Garnet),
rice (amazing rice with the germ but not brown, called Tamaki Haiga rice, short grain a bit sticky, fluffy tender and fresh. I buy it at my local Korean market, and it is about $35 for 15 pounds. https://smile.amazon.com/Tamaki-Haiga-S ... ords=haiga)
beans (my fav are some of the many varieties from Rancho Gordo, they are so fresh and delicious https://www.ranchogordo.com/collections/heirloom-beans) I like the Cranberry, Mayacoba, Pinto, and especially the Garbanzos for home made fresh no salt or oil hummus. They are all so easy to cook, just use a crockpot and add the 1 pound bag to 6 cups of water and leave on high for 6 hours. Other folks with an Instant Pot will cook them in significantly less time.
split pea soup It is just peas broth and water- 2 cups dried split peas, 3 cups water and 4 cups (a box) of Trader Joe's Low Sodium Vegetable broth in the crockpot for 6 hours.

]Hi right back. Sorry I have taken so long to respond broke some ribs and a bit of spine. Haven't been able to sit up long enough to write back. PH is pulmonary hypertension. https://www.phassociation.org/AboutPH Easily manageable on this plant based, restaurant free diet. Mine is secondary so I am very lucky. Primary is much more difficult to manage. Love your diet. Seeing some good stuff. I also had two relatives die. They were elderly. But that doesn't make it hurt less.
mhcarrs

Postby fiftysix » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:19 am

Hello explore2learn (and others)

Your menus are not dull. They are simple, tasty, easy to prepare, and healthy.

Exactly the sort of food ideas I am looking for. It is so much easier to be compliant with this way of eating when you don't have to commit to spending half of your life (or more) preparing food.

Thanks for the posts!
fiftysix

Postby explore2learn » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi Mary,

Sorry for your loss, and for your recent injuries :( I hope you are doing better. I have not looked at this board for several months, so I was not posting anything or reading.

also Hi to fiftysix, and thanks for the positive feedback :)

I know I should not say boring, because it really is so easy and the food tastes really good to me.

I am back on track for the past 16 days, I am now down about 80 pounds from highest. I am feeling better.

(Short version) The thing that made me finally quit fooling around with some of this and that, and junk, and whatever, is that I had a few severe gallbladder attacks and then had to get surgery to have it removed last Saturday (over the Memorial Day weekend). So now i focus on high fiber, water, fruits, a few steamed veg, and mostly main meal is starch like brown rice and beans 'burritos", potatoes and veg, split pea soup, or oatmeal.

(Longer version) I had no idea what the attacks were, I did not know what was causing them. Over the past year once in a great while I would have severe(!!) abdominal pain start a couple of hours after eating, and last for 3-4 hours. It seemed to happen when I had eaten McDonald's, or cheese, or a sandwich, or eggs and hash breakfast, but not every time. Then this past month or two it happened more often like once or twice a week, but still I did not know what it was. Finally I thought it was meat and overeating maybe so I went very clean and careful for a few days and then had one stupid slice of American cheese on bread with mayo and then avocado maki (a rice, avocado, and seaweed tiny roll) and then 4 recess cups and BAM 2 hours later super pain attack for 4 hours again. So I looked up the symptoms and that it might have been triggered by a super high fat meal like that and turned out to match gall stones pretty well. So I decided I would be super careful from then on about no added fat, or meat, or any junk. Then two days later after a small meal of beans and rice I had the worst attack ever. I went to the ER after calling the advice nurse, they did scans and tests and diagnosed gall stones several large ones and said it should be removed. I had read about the benefits of keeping your gall bladder if you can, and trying to prevent attacks, but by that point I had triggered such a severe attack by eating a simple clean meal that I decided it had to go. The attack lasted until they removed the darn thing. I hate surgery and losing important things, but sometimes you have to make the decision that will work best for you. So now i am much better, the surgery was the "keyhole" kind laparoscopic and the recovery is pretty quick.

Back to food talk.
-I'm still learning just how much food I actually want to eat each day, how often, how much, etc. I find that eating one food at a time I eat less of it, I am not tempted to overeat. I eat as much as I want and as often as I want, but I am surprised by how little I turn out to want.
-I was not a fan of brown rice because I found most of it to smell old and be dry. But now I have a new brown rice that i really love. It's medium grain, fluffy and slightly sticky, very moist and fresh. Grown here in CA in Sacramento area by Massa Organics. I bought a 20lb bag at the Marin Farmer's Market and put it into several smaller "rice cooker portion" sized bags in the freezer. I go through the small bags about 1 per week. It's great with steamed veg, and with beans for burritos. http://massaorganics.com/online-store/o ... brown-rice
-I'm super lucky to live where there are many Farmer's Markets and I love the fresh corn, strawberries, tomatoes, blueberries, and English peas.
-the hummus I make each week is the juice of a lemon, some garlic powder, and one drained can of No Salt chickpeas from Eden foods 29oz/822g blended smooth in a food processor. Then i put it into small containers in the fridge to pack into lunches for the week.
-Each day when I leave the house I pack a cold (frozen "ice" packs) lunch box of fruit, my hummus, left-over burrito (bean, rice, tomatoes, maybe onions, and a whole wheat flour tortilla from a local factory that makes them here in town), and any veggies that are good cold. I also pack a hot lunch box with thermoses (preheated with boiling water before you put in the hot food) in side that have hot soup, or hot oatmeal, or hot rice with veg. And a third neutral bag with banana orange or apple and "No Salt" rice cakes and Unsalted pretzels. I bring plenty of food so I have delicious choices no matter where I go for the day. Including visiting friends, seeing movies, shopping, anything.

I have to get going now, but Hi everyone, and I hope everyone has a great week!
explore2learn

Postby mhcarrs » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:14 pm

[quote="explore2learn"]Hi Mary,

Sorry for your loss, and for your recent injuries :( I hope you are doing better. I have not looked at this board for several months, so I was not posting anything or reading.

also Hi to fiftysix, and thanks for the positive feedback :)

I know I should not say boring, because it really is so easy and the food tastes really good to me.

I am back on track for the past 16 days, I am now down about 80 pounds from highest. I am feeling better.

(Short version) The thing that made me finally quit fooling around with some of this and that, and junk, and whatever, is that I had a few severe gallbladder attacks and then had to get surgery to have it removed last Saturday (over the Memorial Day weekend). So now i focus on high fiber, water, fruits, a few steamed veg, and mostly main meal is starch like brown rice and beans 'burritos", potatoes and veg, split pea soup, or oatmeal.

Thank you. I lost three friends and relatives in 30 days. At least they were in there 80's and up. But that didn't make it easier to not eat comfort foods. But now back on track. Sorry to hear that you had surgery. Had mine out. Due to high calcium supplements in the 1980's. I was doing what the doctors told was the best for me. I had only one gallstone the size of a golf ball.

So now I research food before I eat it. Long term effects of supplements can really damage you.
mhcarrs

Postby explore2learn » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

Someone asked me today for recipes for the things I am eating these days. Many of the things are basic and are in earlier posts on this thread, but I have one new thing I made today and really liked so here it is.

Quick veggie stir "fry" that I used with plain (not fried) boiled drained ramen noodles for lunch today, and over brown rice for dinner. I think it will also be good as a snack on it's own cold or warm.

In a dry nonstick wok or deep frying pan
brown 1-2 small fresh onions in chunks or slivers
let them cook till starting to lightly brown, then add a touch of water and stir to deglaze the pan. Cook them a bit more until almost translucent,
then add
1-2 fresh zucchini diced, sliced, or chunks as you like (or summer squash any size shape or color) I cut mine in quarters lengthwise and then thick slices.
1 pound of mushrooms sliced or diced (I liked them thick sliced) use Crimini or white or whatever you like
and some garlic powder to taste
I also added powdered mustard
some might like to add ginger, white pepper, or other seasonings like Chinese Five Spice.

also add to the pan if you are not watching salt (or measure it so you can use a known sodium amount)
-1 tablespoon Mirin Japanese cooking wine (has some salt)
-1 teaspoon Low Sodium soy sauce or tamari (crazy high in salt)
about 1/4 cup of water to steam sauteé in.

Turn heat to medium cook uncovered and stir occasionally until veggies are just tender but not mushy. Serve over brown rice, or with ramen noodles (the "Not fried" kind, boiled and drained) and the cooked veggies make their own broth that is great with the noodles.

Variations- add whatever other thinly sliced quick cooking veggies you like such as carrots, snow peas, etc. You can also add steamed broccoli at the end if you like.

Do any of you have any simple no salt recipes you enjoy?

Cheers (PS. in case the code for this ticker breaks, it says 86 pounds lost and 139 to go as of 2017-07-01)
explore2learn

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals