What I'm Eating - MWL

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: What I'm Eating - MWL

Postby Qwerty988 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:38 am

11/25/17 Saturday:

Two days off-plan for the holiday, I got back on track yesterday! :)

B: Oven fries
L: veggie stew w rice
D: veggie curry w rice
S: orange

Exercise:

And continuing today:

B: oven fries w lettuce leaves
L: veggie curry w rice
D:
S:

Exercise:

11/26/17 Sunday:

B: oven fries
D: potato-veg stew w rice
S:

Exercise:

11/27/17 Monday:

B: 2 clementnes; oven fries
L: potato-veggie stew w rice
S: steel-cut oats w banana

Exercise:

11/28/2017 Tuesday:

B: oven fries; 2 clementines
D:
S: steel-cut oats w banana

Exercise: a nice hike

11/29/2017 Wednesday:

B: veggie curry w rice
L: veggie stew w rice
D: oats w banana & spinach
S:

Exercise:

It feels good to be back on track :)

To lose weight, though, I have to go further. I need to have some exercise, and I need to up the veggies so they're at least equal to starch -- I'm talking volume, obviously, not calories.

I'm working a lot right now, so just going for the convenience of having big pots of cooked veg stew or veg curry and lots of brown rice in the fridge. Throw in a little fruit, some oatmeal and oven fries and frankly I'm good to go indefinitely. The problem..... no salads, not a high enough percentage of veggies to starch on the plate.

Oh well. It's a process. :|
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:35 am

11/30/2017 Thursday:

B: veggie stew w whole wheat spaghetti; green salad w sauerkraut
L: leftover veggie stew/whole wheat spaghetti
S: steel-cut oats w spinach & banana

Exercise:

12/1/2017 Friday:

L: green salad w sauerkraut
S:

Exercise:

12/2/2017 Saturday:

L: congee w mushrooms
D:
S:

Exercise:
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:26 am

Yow -- almost forgot to post here! I'm doing a potato + veggies mini for the month of December! Will check in when I'm done. :)
Qwerty988

Postby amandamechele » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:00 pm

Qwerty988 wrote:Hi, Amy! Thanks so much for checking in, I'm so touched!! Your support really means a lot. :)

I will for sure be rejoining the weekly MWL weigh-in group soon -- as soon as I'm back on the MWL plan. For now, I've just been enjoying some foods from the regular McDougall plan, letting myself have occasional cheats and taking a breather on monitoring my weight so closely. Weighing monthly sounds much better than weekly at this point!

I have to say, hitting the pause button has really allowed me to appreciate how far I've come this year. I've lost over 25 pounds since January! I know I'm still far from my final goal, but the weight I've lost so far has made a big difference. I've been buying new clothes and really feeling good about my new size. It's something I lost sight of when I've been so focused on the scale.

But I know I need to get back to MWL if I want to continue losing -- especially with the holidays coming, yow!! :shock:

Sorry I never directly responded to your message. It was a case of reading it, smiling to myself and thinking about how well you've been doing at reflecting at what works or you, and then (terribly) thinking I'll type a quick note later and then never doing it.

Good luck on your December challenge! I look forward to reading about it. My husband is doing a December McDougall-type challenge too, until a couple of days before Christmas. Now, for him it's quite easy...I make the food and serve it to him, all he has to do is eat IT and not other food...LOL. I joke about it with you (and him too) because we all know even that isn't actually as easy as it seems.

Best wishes.

Amy
amandamechele

Postby ljs » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:59 am

12.20.17 6 months WFPB (not perfect but it's an ongoing process)
Starting wt and waist - 174.8lbs - 38in
Today: 157lbs - 34in
Goal is the full 20lbs by 2018! So close

B: leftover lentil/veggie shepherd's pie with Mary's Brown rice Flour Gravy!
L: same with added salad
D:Sweet potatoes

This has been so easy to do at home, going out is an exercise in patience and planning.
ljs

Postby Qwerty988 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:35 am

3/20/18

Yayyy -- so happy and grateful to be back!

That was a looooooong cold hard winter with too many temptations and setbacks..... the holidays.... the crazy snowstorms.... catching a cold that lingered for weeks.... a birthday.... and most challenging of all, an old friend moved in with us, bringing an abundance of extremely off-plan SAD food and drink into the house. I mean -- extremely off-plan! It was a real struggle, because until then I had been able to completely control my environment and keep all junk food out.

So, I guess you could say those are all excuses for falling off the wagon and not even exercising the past few months. So be it! I did the best I could.

Well, obviouisly, not the best! The best would've been to stay on plan all winter. ;)

But one thing I've always known is true for me: if it's in the house, it's in my mouth. That's why I have to be so strict with myself. I have no self-control. I've tried to be good, but there's been major slippage. Oh well.

But I've finally strung together enough days in a row of clean eating to re-commit to the plan and start posting my menus again. Accountability really helps me!

So, today will be my fourth day in a row of being strictly back on the McDougall plan. Woo hooo -- four glorious days!!! It feels SO MUCH BETTER! :-D

I might give myself another week or two before facing that scale, though. Yow. :shock:

So anyway, lately I've been starting my days with a big burrito salad bowl. That's lots of chopped lettuce and spinach, red onion, cucumber, corn, rice, beans, salsa, homemade sauerkraut and tabasco. YUM! It's really good and keeps me full for a long time.

B: Big burrito salad
L: baked potato w veg chili; raw orange bell pepper
D: oven fries; small burrito salad
S:
Last edited by Qwerty988 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Qwerty988

Postby Jobet » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:34 am

Hi, Qwerty, and welcome back!

I'm pretty new around here, just started my journal last week, but already see winters are going to be the toughest times of the year to stay compliant.

I read this someplace and I think it fits well with our MWL plan: “The only time you fail is when you fall down and stay down.” Like you, I'm getting up, even after a hard winter and other setbacks, and going forward!! :-D
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Qwerty988 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:58 pm

Jobet wrote:Hi, Qwerty, and welcome back!

I'm pretty new around here, just started my journal last week, but already see winters are going to be the toughest times of the year to stay compliant.

I read this someplace and I think it fits well with our MWL plan: “The only time you fail is when you fall down and stay down.” Like you, I'm getting up, even after a hard winter and other setbacks, and going forward!! :-D

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome, Jobet!

It can feel a little like a walk of shame, coming back.... but you're right, of course -- we must continue onward! I'm so grateful this forum exists so we can all support each other along the way.

I'm looking forward to checking out your journal as well! :)
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:12 am

Wednesday 3/21/18:

Gratitude, gratitude, gratitude! :)

B: Big burrito salad
S: cucumber & sweet mustard
L: baked sweet potato & steamed broccoli w lemon juice; apple
D: cold baked potato & mustard

Cabbage is everywhere right now, so I'm making up gallons and gallons of sauerkraut -- regular and spicy! :-D

Thursday 3/22/18:

B: steel-cut oats w banana & spinach & apple
L: big burrito salad
D: enchilada chili w rice

This food is all too good, I'm worried about having so much variety and enjoying it all too much. I'm hoping to lose some enthusiasm over time and the menus will get more monotonous.

Also trying also to remember to eat some raw veggies every day, either salad or even if it's just cutting up a red pepper or cucumber and eating it as is. It's always been a struggle for me because I'd naturally be happy eating 80-90% starch, with just a few cooked veggies thrown in. But being a volume eater, that doesn't work for me if I want to lose weight.

I really love those oats, though. I've been missing them. :)

Friday 3/23/18:

B: steel-cut oats w banana, spinach & apple
L: big burrito salad (without the beans)
D: oven fries w ketchup
S: baked potato w enchiilada chili

Friday reminds me I'll have to face that scale soon. Ugghh I've obviously put on weight over the winter -- the question is, how much?

I'm going to give myself until next Friday before I have to face that dreaded number. The upside is, once I've faced The Awful Truth, I can re-join the MWL weight loss group and participate in their weekly weigh-ins. :)
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:32 am

Saturday 3/24/18

B: orange; burrito salad (no beans)
L: oven fries & ketchup
D: baked potato w enchilada chili
S:

Falling short of 50% veggies per meal, but making do with what's in the house. :|

Sunday 3/25/18

B: Giant burrito salad
L: steel-cut oats w spinach, banana & apple
D: raw veggie plate + enchilada chili w rice
S:

Monday 3/26/18

L: sweet mini peppers; corn & potato soup
D: oven fries w ketchup; strawberry nice cream
S: more mini-peppers; snap peas

Just this: yes, I feel self-conscious eating a giant mixing bowl-sized salad for breakfast while others in my house appear so much more civilized with their reasonable servings of pastry, toast and coffee. But the sauerkraut calls out to me! It's just the best food there is, period. So, I'm going for it. And even leaving out the beans (saving them for a later meal), there's still plenty of starch in there -- a good cup or two of brown rice and corn as well.

So I will not be shamed! Even if my salad bowl is right out of the Flintstones. :)

I'm thinking of making this salad my go-to breakfast through the spring-summer, and save the oats for lunch or dinner. The oats just don't fill me up very long.

Tuesday 3/27/18

L: potato-corn soup w crudite
D: chickpea "tuna" salad w greens
S:

Actually really worried about my weigh-in on Friday. I'm feeling positive and motivated right now and a bad number on the scale could really get me down.

On the other hand, I need to know if what I'm doing is working and also know from experience a weekly weigh-in is motivating to stay on course.

Hmmm. :|

PS: I'm in love with this soup! So I don't forget: 6-8 cups veg broth + 1/2 bag cubed frozen potatoes + 1 bag frozen corn + 1/2 chopped onion + diced celery + salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. SO GOOD! :-D

Wed. 3/28/18

B: orange; chickpea salad over greens
L: chickpea salad w peppers & lettuce
D: oven fries w ketchup
S: enchilada chili & rice; snap peas

Thursday 3/29/18

B: orange; oven fries w ketchup; sweet peppers
L: burrito salad
D: enchilada chili & rice
S:
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:23 am

Friday 3/30/18

B: orange; steel-cut oats w spinach, banana & apple
L: steamed yam, broccoli & brussel sprouts w sauerkraut
D: oven fries w ketchup; peppers
S: green beans; canned pineapple

And I chickened out and couldn't face the scale! :?

Oh well. I'm a total coward. But maybe I can face it next week. :nod:

I'm honestly doing pretty well in terms of eating clean, so why rock the boat by throwing a potentially depressing scale reading into the mix? Nope, no reason.

Saturday 3/31/18

B: burrito salad
L: oven fries w ketchup
D: enchilada chili & rice
S: carrots & tomatoes

So grateful to be a bit more firmly on the straight and narrow -- for now, anyway! Two months ago it felt like an unobtainable goal to be consistently back on MWL and heading in the right direction.... now it just feels normal, like the way I eat. :)

I was thinking about this yesterday, because there's so much junk food and processed stuff in my house now. And I was having a big bowl of steamed yams and veggies for lunch, and my friend was saying how plain my food was and that this WOE was so austere. But really, I was thinking how luxurious it seemed, because unlike earlier times in human history, I can just bop down to the market and get this huge abundance of starches and fruits and veggies from all over the world, just for the askng.

Anyhow, it's about the veggies for me, this time around. Making the veggies a good 30-50% of my meals. And snacking on raw veggies instead of always reaching for starches, that's a big change. Trying to eat simple, not too fancy with the recipes. This is a challenge because I'm such a foodie and love to cook. But this time around, I'm taking that foodie-energy and using it to make sauerkraut, kimchi and kombucha instead of fancy recipes. So far, so good! :)
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:59 am

Sunday 4/1/2018

L: corn chowder & rice
D: oven fries & raw veg plate
S: congee

Getting ready mentally to face the scale. :\

I know it's good to face the number, because perceptions can be skewed. Last March when I first started MWL, it was immediately following a physical where I got on a scale for the first time in (no joke) two decades and saw I weighed a full 40 pounds more than I thought I did. 40 pounds! Crazy. So, that's never happening again.

I'm getting down to a healthy BMI and I don't care if it takes five years to get there. :)
Qwerty988

Postby amandamechele » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:45 am

Hi Qwerty988,

Welcome back! I'm not in the journal forum much lately, but when I saw your distinctive username, I wanted to say Hi and best wishes.
I hope your transition back to MWL is going smoothly.

Amy
amandamechele

Postby Qwerty988 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:03 am

amandamechele wrote:Hi Qwerty988,

Welcome back! I'm not in the journal forum much lately, but when I saw your distinctive username, I wanted to say Hi and best wishes.
I hope your transition back to MWL is going smoothly.

Amy

Hi, Amy!! That's so sweet of you to stop by!! :-D

I've been lurking already and getting support from the posts in the weigh-in group -- and I can't wait to re-join! (Just as soon as I can muster the courage to get back on that scale.... :eek:)
Qwerty988

Postby Qwerty988 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:08 am

Monday 4/2/18

B: burrito salad
L: raw veg plate; corn chowder & rice
D: tomatoes & peppers; broccoli & rice
S:

Tuesday 4/3/18

B: steel-cut oats w banana, spinach & apple
L: steam veggies & rice w oat sauce
D: corn chowder & rice; green beans
S: raw tomatoes, snap peas & peppers

Wednesday 4/4/18

B: oven fries w ketchup
D: veggies & rice
S: raw veg plate

So I don't forget -- a good fast SNAP-inspired meal: brown rice & canned tomatoes w frozen veg, mushrooms & broccoli w italian seasoning, veg broth, soy sauce & sriracha. That was GOOD! :-D

Thursday 4/5/2018

B: orange; raw veg plate; oven fries w ketchup
L: leftover SNAP meal w sauerkraut
D: burrito salad
S: canned pineapple chunks

Hmmm... feeling thinner, but still not sure I'm strong enough to face that scale tomorrow. We''ll see! :|

Friday 4/6/2018

B: orange; burrito salad (w beans + pineapple chunks, yum!)
L: raw veg; chili bean macaroni bowl
D: oats w banana, spinach & apple
S: peppers

And NO WAY am I bursting this happy bubble of not knowing my scale number! I'll wait till the end of the month, and then I'll face how far I have to go to get back to where I was before. Why stress it?? What matters is daily compliance and fighting off the warzone of dietary temptations that has become my home....

Saturday 4/7/18

B: oven fries w ketchup
D: enchilada chili w rice
S: peppers, snow peas; oats w apple & spinach & banana

Sunday 4/8/18

B: burrito salad (w/o beans)
L: enchilada chili w rice
D: steamed potato & veggies w oat sauce
S: peppers
Qwerty988

PreviousNext