Who's Cooking? And Who's Moving?

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Who's Cooking? And Who's Moving?

Postby Arlean » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:55 am

Being an old retread, I remember two daily topics that really helped me plan ahead and stay focused. And while it doesn't appear to be in the same format that I remember, this seems to be the right place! ;)

I'm enjoying my second month of the MWL program and have need for daily accountability and that important planning-ahead component so... here I go!

B -Trader Joe's Unsweetened Instant Oatmeal, with 2 T. rehydrating unsweetened mango pieces and dried blueberries, 1/4 c. soy milk
L - Brown Jasmine Rice, Chana Masala (first try at this recipe...tweaking needed) and raw veggies and greens.
S - Corn Thins and a big juicy apple
Snacks - water, sparkling water and lemon water and Corn Thins, as needed. ;) (water intake goal is 96oz. chug-chug!)

All meals eaten at work or in the car on the commute home, M-Th. Not ideal but it is what it is.

Moving - This is hard with my cray-cray schedule but... I WILL hit my 10,000 step FitBit goal, plus 10 flights of stairs.
Arlean

Re: Who's Cooking? And Who's Moving?

Postby Arlean » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:55 pm

8-31-16
Yesterday was a kick! Food went well, having a plan eliminated the panic and impulse that sneaks up on me. Whew! Movement wise, I did more flights of stairs than planned but less overall steps. And only half my water :-( Ohwell! Moving along!

I'm late with this posting but I did make a plan before leaving work. Packing breakfast, lunch and supper has a way of doing that. HA!

B - trio rice (brown jasmine, red and black rice), banana and figs
L - The rest of the trio rice with pinto peans, heaps of green leafies and pico de gallo
S - Corn Thins and an lovely Gala apple on my commute home
Snacks - water, sparkling water and lemon water

ONWARD!
Arlean

Postby Arlean » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:45 am

WAHOOO!!! GOOD MORNING!

Good day yesterday, still not enough moving or H2O but...food was great. I was ravenous after work but Whole Foods (bless them!) had a nice assortment of plain steamed veggies and yummy quinoa so, I was good to go. Whew!

Today?

B - quinoa and yam
L - tabouli (from MWL book), trio rice and chana masala w/ fresh veggies
S - left over trio rice, an apple and corn thins w/ hummus if I need more
Snack - Seriously!? DRINK Arline! Just tank up! sheeze!

Moving will again be a challenge with my 10 hr. work day and hr each way commute. :-/ But I'm going to set my timer to remind me to go run the stairs throughout the day. That might just work? Oh! And after each run of the stairs, WATER!

TANK and Move! ;-)
ONWARD!!!!
Arlean

Postby Arlean » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:22 pm

Okay! So, yesterday got away from me without my being here. HOWEVER, the food, activity, water, etc. thing stayed the course. I did plan and ate well. HUZZAH!!!!

Today is nearly half over for me and I'm late posting but whatever! LOL! Not wanting to make a habit of it but... it'll happen! I did plan the foods, because I cooked them ahead.

B - left over tabouli, left over hummus, 4 figs and Corn Thin
L - Dal Tadka with brown jasmine rice and raw veggies
S - Corn Thins and apple

I used this recipe for the Dal Tadka...YUMMOO!!! Added a bit more garam masala, salt and red pepper flakes.
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2013/07/fa ... tadka.html

I'm going to do some research and try making microwave popcorn without fats. Worst thing that can happen? Burnt kernels.
Arlean

Postby Arlean » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:10 am

Whoa! This is easy to forget! But, I didn't forget to eat a good MWL selection yesterday! Let's see...
Some not quite ripe winter squash :? , sweet potatoes, pinto beans, brown rice, salad, banana, 4 figs, hummus and Corn Thins. That's what went down yesterday. Little to no activity yesterday. Pitiful, but peaceful and I enjoyed it! LOL!

Today? Well, it's 9am and I'm just not thinking about that. hmmm...what shall I do, what shall I do.

B - Quinoa and banana
L - Hummus, crunchy, munchy fresh veggies by the bucket, potatoes, beans and whatever else we find on our journey to Sauvie Island's produce farms. :-D
S - That apple over there in the basket. It's calling my name. Shhh, sweet bliss, you will wait til tonight. with more quinoa or rice.
Snacks - water, sparkling water and lemon water. Never get enough water. Jus' sayin'

More movement today. Seriously, yesterday I was a slug. A happy slug, but a slug nonetheless.

ONWARD!!!
Arlean

Postby Arlean » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:37 am

Okay!!! A new day, a work day again...oh MAN, do we love a good solid day off or what? Fabulous!

Yesterday my husband, son and I trooped off to find fresh local produce, looking specifically for a farm stand type thing close to our place. Fruitless, where close is concerned but we did find what we wanted an hour plus away. HA! Not happening very often. That's nutz. Maybe we'll find something closer. Keep looking!

On the way back home, I suggested that we stop at the local drive-in and get a large greasy basket of salt and grease to share between us. (you know exactly what I'm talking about, don't you! ;) ). My husband in all his acquired-with-age wisdom said that was fine if that was really what I wanted. I said, "Give me til the exit to think about it." Well, by the exit, I'd decided. Solidly. No salt n' grease! Instead, I wanted to go climb Beacon Rock for the first time and time it so I have a baseline. WAHOOOO!!!! And that's what I did!!! I made it to the top in less than 33 min. (52 switchbacks!) What a view! And now, my goal is to beat my time. Yeah. Keep on keeping on and make it up faster and faster. Lighter and healthier each time. ONWARD!!!

So, food today...Let's see, what did I plan for today?

B - Instant Oatmeal w/ rehydrated mango and blueberries. YUM!!! My usual early morning office breakfast.
L - Quinoa, Caribbean Black Bean Soup and munchy, crunchy carrots.
S - Tabouli, apple and air-popped popcorn on the commute home.
Snacks - Lemon water, water and sparkling water. Love them bubbles!

Okay, then. Time to get on it!

ONWARD!!!!
Arlean

Postby Arlean » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:43 am

GOOD MORNING WORLD!!!! HUGS all around! It's a great day to eat and move for HEALTHY HAPPY results! ONWARD!!!!

Woke up an hour late this morning. Forgot to set my alarm. HOLYGUACAMOLE!!!! Hit the floor running.

Grabbing out of the fridge and shoving it all in the lunch case (should be a rolling suitcase on work days. Two of us eating three meals...yeah, I need to find a rolly for this. :D ) But here's what is happening today!

B - my usual HAPPINESS work-day meal. Lots o' brown rice, rehydrated mango and blueberries and happy-yumyumm noises as I chow down.
L - a plate-size mountain leafy greens w/ fat-free dressing (eat the whole bag! It's GOOD for you!), more fabulous brown rice and a big delicious sweet potato.
S - popcorn and carrots with hummus on the drive home. Easy, filling and healthy. All good!

The water thing is doing better got more in yesterday and will press on today.

Moving yesterday was a bust. HA! I walked to my car, then from the parking garage to work, and then reverse. Yeah. Not enough moving! So, today...Yeah, it'll be a snap to top yesterday! LOL!

So, here I go! Back into my day. And, GO YOU!!!, where ever you are! May your next action be one that will enhance your days!

ONWARD!!!!!!
Arlean

Postby Arlean » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:37 am

Yesterday was a whirl! I'm glad, super glad I planned my food ahead of time because while I didn't necessarily eat exactly what I wrote down, I did eat on MWL plan. Having my food planned out meant that I was never stuck without good options. THAT is the reason it's worth planning ahead, IMO. It was an emotional day. Yeah. I cried. But instead of reaching for the use-to-be obvious, I went for what I had or similar. Whew. Yeah, I'm going to keep on keeping on with this.

Today is my run-around day. Errands and chores...all outside of home and away from the office. I love Fridays! LOL! One meal today will be eaten in a restaurant, don't know where or what but...Staying on track in SUPER important to me.

B - Brown rice, peach-let the juices run down my chin! ;-)
L - Out - MWL friendly
S - Corn Thins, hummus and veggies
Snacks - water, lemon water and sparkling water

This weekend I want to do a lot more moving. Today, I'll easily reach my 10,000 step goal. That's the nature of Fridays. But tomorrow and Sunday? I want to make SURE I move it! WAHOOO!!! I'm going to take on Beacon Rock again! Can I do it in less than 33 min.? We shall see!
Arlean

Postby Arlean » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:53 am

SATURDAY!!!! GOOD MORNING, YA'LL! ;-)

Yesterday was weird! LOL! I ate left over lunch for breakfast (brown rice and Dal Tadka), lunch was late and I was HUNGRY. So...yeah, not on the MWL OR the McDougall plan. Sushi. Light on animal, heavy on vegetable and Ohh! Could I taste the sugar! Oy! Grocery shopping after that. At least I was full, but that hit of sugar was making me crazy for MORE sugar. Ignored it, kept to my grocery list. Long day. Ended with an apple for supper. Figured I'd consumed enough and really wasn't hungry. So... that was that! HA! I'm at "tomorrow" which is now...

TODAY!!! Saturday! And I'm cooking up food for my family (by request) that I won't be eating. Not MWL and not really even McD. :? But okay! Plan for it. Plan and know ahead so that when meal time comes, I'm set with good-for-me foods! Yeah.

B - brown rice and strawberries
L - a big garden rainbow salad w/ garbanzo beans, green beans and sweet potato
S - popped corn (no fat, no salt) and apple

So, there it is. I've got it figured out. Think I'll go get that sweet tater in the oven now. I want to make sure it's ready when I am. :D

Oh! And moving! Today is an active day. I can make that happen! Either a hike in the woods or a climb up Beacon Rock or both. MOVE IT!
Arlean

Postby Arlean » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:08 am

OHMYWORD!!! How did the weekend FLY by so quickly! Okay, okay. It's Monday, time to get ON WITH THE WEEK!!!!

B - Instant Oatmeal, rehydrated mango & blueberries, banana
L - Squash Soup, Edamame, Carrots, Corn-on-the-cob
S - More Carrots, Tomatoes, Hummus and Corn Thins
Snacks - Water, Lemon water and Sparkling water

So much to do at work, no time to play. Wah! ;)
Arlean

Postby Arlean » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:13 pm

Cooking and moving.

Getting it down and keeping it simple. That's my aim in the kitchen, now. Life is too full and glorious to spend it slaving in the kitchen. LOL!!!

B - Oatmeal, rehydrated mangos and blueberries and a bit of soymilk.
L - Edamame salad (a little of this, a little of that...black beans, red peppers, scallions, corn, quinoa...) and sweet potatoes.
S - Corn Thin and Apple
Snack - Water, lemon water and sparking water.

Long ramble to follow, skipping is advised. LOL! :D

Okay. Okay. I thought about this over the weekend. This posting thing is purely for accountability. And on the days when I don't post, don't show up and be seen, things haven't fallen apart. On Fridays, I usually eat out as a treat to myself for a good week and I always make good choices along with a bit of off-track food. No alarms. But these are learning adventures. On my birthday last week, the office threw a party complete with the lunch of my choice, a paper tiara and a giftie. And yes, I ate off-track, but not very far. And no, last week I didn't lose, I gained a bit. "Trust the process" ran thru my mind. And "don't wait until tomorrow, choose right now."

The thing is, life presents moments. No self-flogging, no scolding. Acceptance, loving myself and keep moving. Amazingly, this is different than anything before and is working WAY better! LOL! No kidding.

Today is a new day, yesterday was a new day went I started in on it! Yesterday was great, the day before was great. I love this way of living life and eating. It makes me happyHAPPY!!! When I eat off-track, I am keenly aware of my body's reaction to the food. "WHOA!!! That is NASTY sweet" and "OHMYWORD!!! That BLEW me up like a balloon! And now the air wants OUT!" LOL!!!

This process, this learning is great. I'm happy to be here and happy to eat ON-TRACK. Divergence is educational but not the norm.

Over the weekend, I listened to more talks from the last Advanced Study Weekend (gifted to me for my birthday by my husband and our eldest son. <3) And my strong resolve gains strength. I hear again, the reasons for good and happy choice. I hear about the life I am and will live. ONWARD!!! Just ONWARD!!!
Arlean

Postby Arlean » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:11 am

Feeling exceptionally grumpy today. :? But...ONWARD!!! The day begins.

b - banana, oatmeal, soymilk
l - sweet potato, quinoa-bean salad
s - apple, corn thins
snack - water, water w/ lemon and water w/ fizz

moving - going to work on moving every hour. setting a timer. let's see how that goes!
Arlean

Postby Arlean » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:18 pm

MY BOOK ARRIVED TODAY!!! The Healthiest Diet On The Planet is HERE!!! Oh yeah! Thank you for the pics and the color!!! As a visual person, this is so lovely. ;-)

Yesterdays food planning/prep went pretty well. I didn't end up eating breakfast as planned because I got busy and forgot to eat (WHAT? I know, right?). About 11am, my body reminded me of it's need and I ate a late breakfast of my planned lunch. On the way home from work, I crunched and munched on my Honeycrisp apple but forgot to grab the Corn Thins from the trunk. So, yeah. Food was weird, but I didn't die, nor was there even any angst over food. I was busy and happily satisfied. YEAH!!!

Today is a different day. :-)

B - Oatmeal, rehydrated blueberries and mangos with soymilk
L - Black Bean Salad, all that I brought.
S - I'm going to eat a sweet potato and maybe an apple on the way home.
Snacks - water, lemon water and Sparkling water.

Since the work day is almost over, this is pretty certain. HA!

Sleep, exercise and water intake continue to be my biggest challenges. Praying for answers. :-/

EDIT!!! Oh shoot! Just found the steamed brussel sprouts in the office fridge! SNACK TIME!!! Sweet potato on the way home and skip the apple!
Arlean

Postby Arlean » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:43 am

GOOD MONDAY!!!

I went to bed not knowing what was on my table, food wise, today. Before I slipped into the Land of Nod, my husband popped his head in the door and offered several options. (SUPPORT IS HUGE!!! I'm grateful!) So now, my lunch and supper is packed. Breakfast on a work day is a given. ;-)

B - Oatmeal, rehydrated mango, blueberries and apples, soymilk
L - Baked winter squash, lentil soup, brussel sprouts and fresh veggies
S - Quinoa and anything left-over from lunch
Snacks - water, lemon water, sparkling water

Through one of my jobs, I've been offered the RetroFit program for 6 months. I decided to go for it but keep using the McD MWL program along with RetroFit. I had my first monthly meeting with my dietitian coach on Friday and all went well. The main things, as I see it now, that are changes from what I'm already doing is added accountability (which I'm finding a bit ughy) of recording all my food intake. Not by calorie (THANK GOD!) but just what it was, when and how it was eaten. I've decided that since this, ultimately, IS for my own good, I'll go along. The other things that are different is that I have one 1/2 online class a week, various health topics (should be interesting :eek: ) and one 1/2 hour visit with above mentioned coach a month. I want/need to approach all this with a positive attitude, but before seemed easy, no biggie and this seems a big on the heavy side. I dunno. I'll work on my attitude and see how it goes. All is for my own health and fitness, right? All is good!

ONWARD!!!!
Arlean

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals