McDougall versus Fuhrman

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: McDougall versus Fuhrman

Postby afreespirit » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:32 pm

I am trying out a week or so of doing the 1 lb of raw and 1 lb of cooked greens per day, just as a way of cutting down on my starch intake (to speed wt loss)...it is a lot to mow thru and I feel like all I ever do is eat...then I still have to eat some beans and starch too, plus maybe a little fruit, or else my mind starts involuntarily thinking about non-McD food...then there is the expense of so much greenery...IDK :duh:...my teeth are wearing out :lol:
afreespirit

Postby ncyg46 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:57 pm

lol....i have dentures and it used to take me an hour to eat a meal...like i said i would open the refrigerator and close it and not eat. I still have the Salad is the Main Dish poster on the refrigerator. NOT!! This is soooo much easier for me. I do small meals maybe 4-5 times a day...not much but enough to get things into me so I guess it is working. With my not smoking challenge...I have been eating more for the past three weeks and still haven't gained a lb. I am not the best McDougaller cause I do use green smoothies to get more greens into me since I really can't chew them. And I still revert back to a few Ornish recipes at times. The main one is I can't stand any of the dips made with soy...i have thrown out more than I care to tell, but Ornish has a recipe in two of his old books for yogurt cheese. I asked Jeff about it and he told me it isn't recommended but it probably won't kill me.... and really didn't want to post here but I occasionally do use nonfat yogurt and drain it and it turns into like a cream cheese with a tang to it so it makes a darn good dip to take to potlucks! I learned these recipes 15 years ago and still do them occasionally! I just can't stand the taste of the stuff done with soy except for baked tofu! And with thyroid problems I don't need so much soy anyway....anyway I am rambling, on my third week or so of not smoking, the smoking is under control but the hand and break thing is still getting me! I was talking to a friend today that was smoking and I stood a long way from her...and 3 weeks ago I would have run over and have one so I guess I am improving!!!! :D ugh!
ncyg46

Postby afreespirit » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:09 pm

http://www.ezquit.com/ Here is a website for a psychological aid for quitting...a fake cig that releases a taste and gives you something to do with your hands...Yes I do not have all my teeth and don't want to grind down what I have left LOL...Of course I eat tons of veg and salad anyway on McD but the emphasis on greens is new-- :eek:
afreespirit

Postby patty » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:43 pm

patty wrote:I feel ETL throws the baby out of the bath water.. the baby being the explanation of calorie density. I am really grateful for Jeff Novick's dvds.

GeoffreyLevens wrote:
I feel ETL throws the baby out of the bath water..
Strange considering Dr F strongly advocates consumption of large amounts of lowest calorie density foods for everyone and especially for those needing to loose weight!

hmmm I said the explanation of calorie density is the baby that is thrown out with the bath water:) Once the recipient understands how calorie density works, the recipient understands Dr. Fuhrman is not empowering the recipient with self knowledge which is self empowerment but marketing himself. Life is a mystery not to be figured out but realized. Again I am truly grateful for Jeff Novick, Dr. McDougall and Dr. Shintani:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby afreespirit » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:30 pm

I agree with you, patty. The information on this website is saving lives, including mine, and it is all selfless and for FREE. Words fail me, but my gratitude is boundless.
afreespirit

Postby Theodore » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:40 am

Last edited by Theodore on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never eat anything that has an ass.
Theodore

Postby ncyg46 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:10 am

afreespirit wrote:http://www.ezquit.com/ Here is a website for a psychological aid for quitting...a fake cig that releases a taste and gives you something to do with your hands...Yes I do not have all my teeth and don't want to grind down what I have left LOL...Of course I eat tons of veg and salad anyway on McD but the emphasis on greens is new-- :eek:

I found my fidget stone yesterday! it is a flat stone with a thumb indent and it keeps my hands busy...also Ed has one of those squeeze balls for his grip! Trying to forget the habit so usually I get up and take a few deep breaths and that seems to work. Heck only the first few drags of a cigarette are satisfying anyway! lol!!! :D
ncyg46

Postby patty » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:45 am

What is exciting Nancy, is you are the breath that is forever lasting. You are the fire that doesn't burn, or never goes out. We need three things to survive on a physical plane: food, shelter and transportation. With thought we have those three things. Whenever I am feeling scarcity (squirrelly) I go to that place within and see myself sitting in the middle of the sun. I then get out of my way and I know I will manifest from somewhere while I continue to do what is in front of me.

There is a story of a monk who wanted to see His Holiness the Dalai Lama. He was sitting in a yoga position when his external breath stopped. The other monks left him sitting for a month because his internal breath was still present. Our bodies are amazing and aren't limited to the physical... giving up smoking is a wonderful catalyst to shift to quantum reality. You are in the prefect place to quit smoking... your food is in the right place... with calorie density.. your numbers are there. You deserve to breathe in darkness to breathe in the Light that lights up humanity:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby ncyg46 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:19 pm

thanks patty...

had another successful day! :D
ncyg46

Postby patty » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:15 pm

Keep posting Nancy. The first couple days are the hardest. It gets easier. It is all about heart to heart sharing. And it is a We Can process. I was so unconscious when I quit and I am so grateful today. When I quit anything I use the AA Promises. Of course at that time 30 plus years ago, when I quit smoking I quit drinking and using, I though HP (HIgher Power), was Honolulu Police:)

The AA Promises
If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.
We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.
We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.
No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.
That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.
We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.
Self-seeking will slip away.
Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.
Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.
We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.
We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.
Are these extravagant promises? We think not.
They are being fulfilled among us - sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.
They will always materialize if we work for them.

Alcoholics Anonymous p83-84

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby ncyg46 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:36 pm

patty.... I tried an experiment today....I went over and talked to a friend that was smoking but she had just put one out. It didn't bother me in the least! And I stood there and talked for about 15 minutes. Only had one time today that I got cravings! And I handled it okay! It's getting better...!
ncyg46

Postby patty » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:52 pm

Nancy ... it sounds like you are over the hardest part. And it is Grace, keep that thought and don't let it go:) don't pick up again. As they say in AA, hold on to your pants because you are on for the ride of your life. Now you are just doing time, know each moment, day, you are planting gold in your back yard. There is a Chinese Proverb/Sutra: Time is precious as gold, but you can't buy time:) You have to live it.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby ncyg46 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:27 pm

thanks....I think I am over the hardest part. I can't keep avoiding social things or I will go crazy! One friend said If you can do it, he will also....and he had a bunch of TIA strokes about three weeks ago and NEEDS to stop!
ncyg46

Postby patty » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:52 pm

I never had a problem about smelling other people's second hand smoke. After awhile with the law of attraction:) you won't attract other people around you that smoke. Just don't pick up again. Know when you smell other people's smoke, it is always there for the Grace of God go I. It is to use other people's energy to breathe in the darkness to breathe out light vs. using their energy to stay sick.

I had a client who had over 200 TIA's, and your friend doesn't want to go there. Dr. McDougall's video on MS, is excellent in explaining how the fat wraps around each cell and then they clump together creating a barrier to the brain. Jeff Novick shares, pretty sure it is the _Calorie Density_ dvd, that sugar is the fuel the brain survives on. Dr. Bruce Lipton shares every cell in our body has a brain. And our cells depend on us for our perception of our environment. Dr. Esselstyn in Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease graphic shows how fast our arteries heal with a plant base diet. When I get really squirrelly I just see myself flat line:) and immediately I am in Heaven. That is why understanding calorie density is so important, because how hard is it to eat less than 3.00 per day. So keep putting your priorities in place: food, shelter and transportation as long as you have thought you have those three things.

Are you familiar with Patrick Flanagan? Here is a up lifting video on tapping into the Akashic Field: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKBVHGdr ... re=channel

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby ncyg46 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:03 pm

patty...will look at it later since we are over our limit on our card! Right now we have a bunch of health problems going on here...will post more on my journal later after I see how he does. I have basically learned to keep my mouth shut and just do my own thing now! Tonite i had spaghetti squash that a friend made with steamed baby bok choy over it...with a bit of gomasio! Delish! I wasn't that hungry.....
ncyg46

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge