McDougall versus Fuhrman

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

hey hi Susie!

Postby ncyg46 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:24 pm

I missed seeing you on here...how are you doing? I tried emailing you but I didn't hear anything.....
ncyg46

Postby susie » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:57 pm

Thanks Melinda!

Nancy I was having problems with my email for months.Some spammers napped it and I was receiving over 1000 undelivered email each day. I ended up just dumping the whole lot in a box. They were using my addy to send their spam, which was refused, so I got it instead. Now it seems to be back to normal, fingers crossed.

I thinkthat number of 7789 would stiill include me and Nancy and everyone else that has dropped out too.I know that I still get mail from them weekly!
susie

membership numbers and Eat for Health

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:02 am

those numbers probably still do include us and the others! I still get a few emails, but it won't let you in.

Hey I tried his new books since I had a gift certificate from amazon. Got it, looked over it and sent it back the next day!!!! What a joke. The same recipes as Eat to Live, dairy, meat in the recipes and most of the recipes were from the member contributions with one recipe to a page and all his ingredients that he sells featured. Oh and the book didn't even have an index, duh!

oy...glad I am not there anymore!
The only thing vegizest does is fatten his wallet!!!!!
ncyg46

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:31 pm

I hope something can be found out Carroll. I don't blame your for trying. Fuhrman is very interesting and I have learned a lot from him too.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Suebee » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:11 am

So sorry for your suffering daughter! Just awful to hurt that much at such an early age. I'm not an expert and not Dr. Fuhrman but I would guess from my previous stay on his website that he might recommend fish oil to tamp down her over-reactive immune system. For some genetically inclined people the ONLY thing that works is fish oil. Not even flax will do what fish oil does. And have you checked that she is not reacting to gluten? Sorry but I haven't gone back to check all your posts. I guess an elimination diet would remove gluten but from talking to others who have been gluten sensitive (not celiacs) it took over 7 months to start seeing results. That's a long time of compliance. You have my sympathies both for your daughter and yourself as you see her suffer (that is hard for a mother!).
Suebee

McDougall and Fuhrman are both heroes

Postby veithr » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:20 am

I don't understand why it has to be either/or. I also don't understand why we have to idolize one and demonize the other. Both of these fine physicians have stepped out in front on a very controversial topic and provided us with great information to promote our health. They do not agree on every issue, but if Americans would pick one, or the other, or some combination of the two approaches we would have a MUCH healthier nation. And, our health costs would be dramatically lower. There are also a few other physicians who provide excellent information such as Ornish and Esselstyn. And, we can't forget Walter Kempner, M.D., another of the pioneers.

I greatly admire both Dr. McDougall and Dr. Fuhrman and have followed both websites for a couple of years. In some meals, I concentrate on vegetables/fruits/beans, in some meals the center of the dish is starch. On some days I eat a few nuts/seeds and on other days I go over the 2 oz. level. I consume no animal products and am very active. Dr. Fuhrman recommends 2 oz. of nuts/seeds or less for most people, but feels that very active people can exceed this amount. He recommends no more than 1 oz. for people who have a weight problem.

For the past 6 weeks or so I have analyzed my eating with CRON-O-METER. The results show that a diet that is varied with vegetables, fruit, starches, nuts/seeds(sometimes more than 2 oz./day), beans/legumes, and whole grains results in excellent "numbers." I have never felt better and owe a lot to both Dr. McDougall and Dr. Fuhrman. I use recipes from both websites. I love Mary McDougall's vegetarian chili and Dr. Fuhrman's green smoothies. My wife uses many recipes from Fuhrman and McDougall.

It seems to me those of us that want to promote healthy eating should applaud all the professionals who have stepped forward to devote their careers to nutritional excellence. While we can debate the differences in approach, the real differences we should emphasize are the ones between the SAD, the bad diets (Zone, Atkins, South Beach) and those fine professionals who are trying to get us to eat much healthier plant based diets.
Howard
veithr

Postby Starchyme » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:29 am

Howard, thank you for sharing that most excellent post. I agree with you 100%.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby DianeJ » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:07 pm

I agree as well!!! I kind of come and go here, along with some other forums like Fatfreevegan. I am not 100% compliant with this program, or any, for that matter, BUT... I am convinced that a whole-foods, plant-based, way of eating is the healthiest and the more information I can get, the better. I DO understand those that believe in, or even MUST, for health reasons, follow a particular regime 100%. But somewhere, someone needs to be able to address the masses of SAD eaters out there and connect. And whether one adds a little olive oil, some peanut butter, an extra scoop of brown rice, or one too many bowls of strawberries just isn't the issue with those folks. Just my humble opinion :)
DianeJ

Re: membership numbers and Eat for Health

Postby JadamR15 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:01 am

ncyg46 wrote:The only thing vegizest does is fatten his wallet!!!!!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I really like the vegizest...
JadamR15

Re: membership numbers and Eat for Health

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:01 am

JadamR15 wrote:
ncyg46 wrote:The only thing vegizest does is fatten his wallet!!!!!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I really like the vegizest...

so buy it and enjoy! I still have a jar left from 2007. Hated the stuff! I make my own veggie broth without salt...figure I can use some of his as an ingredient to use it up...
ncyg46

Re: McDougall versus Fuhrman

Postby Starchyme » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:28 am

I didn't care for it much myself. The tomato one is a little better. But I'm still using them now and then. Guess no one can win them all! When I first began McDougalling 15 yrs. ago I threw out many transition things I bought.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Nettie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:11 am

HealthE1 wrote:When I first began McDougalling 15 yrs. ago I threw out many transition things I bought.

Haha. I just cleaned a refrigerator yesterday we keep in the garage for the veggies that won't fit in the house, and I threw out a bunch of stuff that expired in 2007 and earlier. So many of us go through transitions and finally settle in as McDougallers as we go.

As Dr. McDougall says, find a few recipes you like and stick with them. I can honestly say I have 8 or fewer recipes I make all the time, and we're satisfied with those.

(And I don't have a single Fuhrman recipe from the far distant past, partly because of the nut content of so many of his recipes. I still have to be vigilant about my weight, and I can't afford the calories. :) )

Nettie
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been.

Star_McDougaller

Nettie

Postby ncyg46 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:17 am

Nettie.....out of curiousity, what are your favorite 8?

so far mine are"
pasta primavera (Jeff's Fast Food)
Mexican Fiesta (also Jeff's Fast Food)
Speedy International Stew
Most stir frys with asian sauces
Festival Dal Soup
and then ????????

I need a new more! lol!
ncyg46

Postby Nettie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:04 am

ncyg46 wrote:Nettie.....out of curiousity, what are your favorite 8?

so far mine are"
pasta primavera (Jeff's Fast Food)
Mexican Fiesta (also Jeff's Fast Food)
Speedy International Stew
Most stir frys with asian sauces
Festival Dal Soup
and then ????????

I need a new more! lol!

LoriM's Quick Chili. I've posted it before, but I will again if you need me to. I make it every weekend to eat throughout the week.

Spicy Garbanzo Beans. I got it from the recipe forum here, I think. I absolutely adore it, and, again, make it every weekend.

Speedy International Stew - based on your recommendation, it's become my new go-to quick meal.

Stir fry using frozen BirdsEye veggies with brown rice.

Barbecue Beans and Rice from the Q&E Cookbook. My husband's absolute favorite, which I have to make for him every weekend.

Quick Lasagna (not the E2 one) based on a link I got from the recipe forum a few weeks ago. I've made it 3 times now (burned up my blender :angry: ) and we love it. I have to control myself, though, because of the presence of pasta, which I don't usually have.

A new one I've made a few times (can't remember the name right now, but will post later after I get home) is a soup which has hash browns as the base, with canned tomatoes, frozen corn and some type of beans.

The other one is what I call succotash. It uses a lot of canned goods, but we like it: 2 cans of beans (I usually use either blackeyed peas or pintos), 1 can of green beans (drained), 1 can of stewed tomatoes, 1 can of carrots (drained), 1 can of corn (partially drained), and bunch of pre-cooked turnip greens (which I always have in the fridge). I add spices like granulated garlic, basil, hot sauce, cumin, chili powder and heat it up. The other night my husband had one bowl and I ate the rest! :o

Add to this list some pre-cooked sweet potatoes and the steamed turnip greens, broccoli and cabbage, and that's pretty much what I eat for the evening meals. We hardly vary it at all.

Nettie
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been.

Star_McDougaller

Nettie

Postby ncyg46 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:19 am

Thanks Nettie! Will look for all those later..they sound familiar. I get so burned out on beans and mexican style foods though...anything Italian or Asian is more my thing! :D
ncyg46

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge