Worried about osteoporosis

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Worried about osteoporosis

Postby Alycia 123 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:03 pm

Hi,
Sorry if this is a silly question . But can nuts and avocados still be consumed on the mcdougal diet? I’m worried that eating nuts and avocados will cause osteoporosis?
Alycia 123

Re: Worried about osteoporosis

Postby Ejeff » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:23 am

Why are you worried that specifically these 2 things cause osteoporosis?

Both nuts and avocado are allowed in small quantities as long as you are not trying to lose weight or have heart disease.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:30 pm

I have osteoporosis, and it is not from eating nuts or avocados. There are a lot of things that could have caused or contributed to osteoporosis including heredity, consumption of animal products, certain medications, and insufficient exercise. Not sure what your situation is, but nuts and avocados don't cause that problem.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby MINNIE » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:32 pm

Alycia,

I don't see the connection with the foods you mention. There are some good reasons to be moderate in consuming the higher fat foods, but bone damage isn't one of them.

If you are concerned about osteoporosis, you may find this article from a WFPB medicine site interesting:
https://www.pcrm.org/health-topics/healthy-bones

I think that if you are following the McDougall plan, along with getting some moderate exercise, you are doing the best thing you can to protect your bone health.
MINNIE

Return to The Lounge