Confusion on bread/wheat

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Confusion on bread/wheat

Postby garrett85 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:32 am

I've just started reading the book "The Starch Solution" and I'm a little confused. One section of the book says that there was a study/test done that showed participants losing weight eating multiple slices of bread a day. Later in the book the McDougall diet is referenced as saying that we should stay away from animal products, oils, soy and WHEAT? I'm a little confused about the soy because I've founds so many YouTube vegan channels calming that soy is awesome and supposedly debunking claims that soy is unhealthy? But I'm really confused about the wheat because of the conflicting information. Can someone please fill me in on this and clear up my confusion? Thanks.
garrett85

Re: Confusion on bread/wheat

Postby JeffN » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:52 am

In regard to the bread study

The issue is Calorie Density & Satiety.

They lowered the overall calorie density of their diets while increasing overall satiety.

If you read this post about fruit/nut bars and just substitute the slices of bread, which are about 1200 calories per pound, for the fruit/nut bars, the principle is the same.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40239&p=413321#p413321

Take some time to read the free educational material and to use the search function

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Confusion on bread/wheat

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:21 am

garrett85 wrote:Later in the book the McDougall diet is referenced as saying that we should stay away from animal products, oils, soy and WHEAT?

Are you paraphrasing and the book actually said to avoid "isolated soy protein" and "vital wheat gluten" products? Because *those* aren't allowed because they're just highly processed high protein food-like products.

"Soy", as in tofu, tempeh, edamame, and soy milk, IS allowed. "Wheat", as in whole wheat flours and wheat berries, *IS* allowed, in most cases. As Jeff pointed out, they're higher in caloric density so should be restricted or avoided in people who need to lose weight, and soy products are restricted in people who have heart disease because they're high in fat. If you look through the book's recipe section - on right here in this website - you'll find a number of instances where whole wheat flour or bread or tofu are ingredients.

Please list the page number or Kindle location area of where he says we can't eat soy or wheat, please.
VeggieSue

Return to The Lounge