Have you had the vaccine?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Have you had the vaccine?

Postby vegman » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:22 pm

I got my second Pfizer vaccine injection yesterday early afternoon. There were zero side effects until nighttime. The first thing I noticed was arm pain, as with the first shot. Today I've felt mild malaise and tiredness, hints of muscle pain, slept a fair amount: more side effects than with the first shot, which is normal for those not previously infected.

Before the side effects started I was wondering how I would know whether I got a working vaccine, or whether there was an inadvertent problem. So I'm glad there have been side effects.

Study data show much higher incidence of arm pain from the vaccine than from the placebo, and that most people getting the vaccine experience arm pain.

So in 13 days I will be officially "fully vaccinated." I plan to still take every reasonable precaution, since vaccination is not 100% effective, and there are variants out there against which it is significantly less effective.

Nice to know my chances of getting this awful disease will soon be greatly reduced.
vegman

Postby debknott » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:32 pm

I will receive my first Pfizer shot on Saturday, then the second one three weeks later. I'm glad I finally got the appointments.
debknott

Postby Quinda » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:17 pm

I did get the first one, Pfizer, and I'm scheduled for the second one on March 31. No side effects were detectable. I am wondering if we will have this to do repeatedly in the future. I see it being a regular thing to keep up with the variants.
Quinda

Postby secdroid » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:53 am

I had the first Moderna shot on March 10th. Other than a sore arm for 36 hours, no side effects. I've read that partial protection starts about two weeks after the first shot. Scheduled for the second shot April 10th.

Very, very grateful for the hard work by all involved in developing, distributing, and administering these vaccines.
secdroid

Postby Freya » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:46 pm

I had my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Thursday, the 18th. I felt fine on Thursday, but yesterday I felt very, very tired and achy, like I was coming down with something. Today I woke up feeling just fine.
Freya

Postby americaninca46 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:47 pm

Had my first shot today. (Pfizer). No noticeable symptoms. Feel good. Now to wait for #2 Hope it will also be Pfizer also. Up to 4 month wait. But should be sooner. They seem to be going fairly fast. Keep safe everyone. Rebia
americaninca46

Postby Daydream » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:15 am

americaninca46 wrote:Had my first shot today. (Pfizer). No noticeable symptoms. Feel good. Now to wait for #2 Hope it will also be Pfizer also. Up to 4 month wait.

When I signed up for my first Pfizer vaccine, the website automatically had me make the 2nd appointment exactly 3 weeks after my first dose so both appointments were made at the same time. I hope you can get your 2nd appointment without waiting 4 months.
Daydream

Postby vegman » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:51 pm

Daydream wrote:
americaninca46 wrote:Had my first shot today. (Pfizer). No noticeable symptoms. Feel good. Now to wait for #2 Hope it will also be Pfizer also. Up to 4 month wait.

When I signed up for my first Pfizer vaccine, the website automatically had me make the 2nd appointment exactly 3 weeks after my first dose so both appointments were made at the same time. I hope you can get your 2nd appointment without waiting 4 months.

In the US, second shot intervals are as recommended by the vaccine makers: 3 weeks for Pfizer, 4 for Moderna.

Some other countries such as Canada and the UK are stretching the intervals, to give more people some degree of immunity faster, since studies show even one dose is pretty effective. This approach was proposed in the US, but rejected.
vegman

Postby Quinda » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:19 pm

Had my second Pfizer vaccine today. I am relieved to get that far. Will still take the precautions but I am glad right now.
Quinda

Postby veggiecat » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:38 am

Getting my second Moderna shot tomorrow morning.
Best wishes,Cat
veggiecat

Postby americaninca46 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:07 am

The rules seem to be so different everywhere. My friends who are booked for vaccine in the next couple of weeks will get the astra zenica. I understand now that the second shot has to be the same as the first shot, so I know I will get the pfizer when it is available. Looks like Canada will have a big shipment of pfizer before June. Plus it seems like a lot of people are not planning to get the vaccine. Makes me sad. My family that is in the US are already getting their 2nd dose after only 3 to 4 weeks since the first. The variant is coming fast to our city. After Easter we should have many cases in my town. It is only about 4 hours from us. We are seeing a lot of visitor license plates from neighbouring provinces this weekend. I am just glad I got the first shot of Pfizer and will patiently wait for the second which I believe will come soon enough.
americaninca46

Postby pundit999 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:42 am

I got my second shot of moderna yesterday. I have severe fatigue and headache today.
It took me 4 days to recover from the first shot.
I know several people that have had the Pfizer vaccine and they reported few side effects.
If possible , it may be a better idea to get Pfizer and not moderna.
Pfizer also just reported that they are 100% effective against the South Africa variant while moderna is working on a booster to address the same.
Not sure about j and j
pundit999

Postby Spiral » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:21 pm

I received my 1st dose of the vaccine on March 4 and the 2nd dose on March 25. I got the pfizer vaccine. I have not had any adverse reaction other than a sore shoulder for a day after the 1st dose. I didn't have any adverse reaction from the 2nd dose.
Spiral

Postby Chumly » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:37 am

I received my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine this morning.

Michael
Chumly

Postby jay kaye » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:07 pm

Received 2nd Moderna 48 hours ago.

Overall not much in the way of side effects. Arm hurts less than first time. Some minor fatigue and stomach upset. (But those my by psychosomatic ;) )

Of note; I had to wait 38 days (10 days past the 28 day requirement). So I don't if that extra time in between might possibly responsible for the only minor side effect. There has been some web chatter to that effect.

Overall I am please to have finally gotten the vaccine. Two more weeks until I will travel and fly. Yeah :cool:

J
jay kaye

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge