Have you had the vaccine?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Have you had the vaccine?

Postby viv » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:25 am

I had my first COVID vaccine (Pfizer) this past week and I get my second in two weeks. Teachers in Va. are considered essential workers so get the vaccine early. It was great, no reactions whatsoever apart from very minor soreness around the site of the injection. I am very relieved and so thankful I survived and I am ready to get back in society (and dancing!) Our diet helps us in so many ways and in the times of Covid it's an extra special blessing.
Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Re: Have you had the vaccine?

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:36 pm

I envy you! Vaccines are not yet available to us.

I miss dancing. I have signed up for a tango festival in McCloud, CA, in June. My best guess is that there is a 50% chance that it will be cancelled. It always sells out.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Drew_ab » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:50 pm

I haven't had the vaccine yet but will do so when it becomes available to my segment of the population. I'm glad to hear that your COVID vaccine experience has been positive thus far.
Drew_ab

Postby KillSwitch » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:59 pm

Congrats Viv. I can't get it yet but I will get it as soon as I can.
KillSwitch

Postby Daydream » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:51 pm

I am 65 and eligible to get the vaccine now in my state but there are no appointments available at this time. I will get the vaccine when an appointment becomes available.

Viv, I'm so glad you were able to get the vaccine!
Daydream

Postby MINNIE » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:55 pm

Congratulations, Viv!

I'm still waiting -my state (Wisconsin) seems to be lagging way behind the rest of the country in distributing vaccines.

While being way ahead in new infections...it's like the Dark Ages up here, I swear.

But, fortunately I can work at home and am able to isolate as long as it takes. Just hope it won't take all year!
MINNIE

Postby viv » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:56 pm

Thanks everyone for your good wishes. Just got some news that the Health System doing most of the vaccinations (about 80,000 so far) in Va. has been forced to cancel all remaining appointments "due to a nationwide shortage". Fortunately they are honoring their commitment to vaccinate staff who had already received their first doses. I'm so glad to be able to get in under the wire. Many teachers and elderly will now go unvaccinated "until further notice." Teachers are supposed to return to the classrooms soon, but with so many teachers going unvaccinated I doubt it will happen. What a saga!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby moonlight » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:54 am

Hi Viv,

I received my second Moderna vaccine on Monday. I've had a little more fatigue with the second shot but that's all the side effects I've noticed, besides localized soreness on my arm.

Hopefully, the shipping and distribution issues will get worked out soon. I feel such a relief even though my husband, who has serious health issues, still isn't eligible to get the vaccine yet.
moonlight

Postby Hal » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:04 pm

Nothing yet. They're saying we may need to wait longer than expected for supplies.
Hal

Postby MINNIE » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:50 am

I got it yesterday - I was on a waiting list for people over 65 and my number came up yesterday.
It's the first dose of the Moderna vaccine.

It's been 24 hours, and I'm not feeling any ill effects so far.
Very happy to have got this done!
MINNIE

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:42 pm

My husband and I got our first shots of the Pfizer vaccine this morning. We felt nothing.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Vegankit » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:10 am

My husband and I will be getting our second Moderna shot this week. I was so relieved to get the first l can’t wait to get the second in the hope I’ve built up a good protection. The first shot lead to sore arms and mild nausea and headache for me, my husband felt mildly light headed.

I hear the side effects for the second will be worse but I look at it as signaling it’s building immunity.

I wish there was more vaccine to go around, there’s more vaccination sites and volunteers to man them here than there is vaccine.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Daydream » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:52 am

Yesterday my husband and I got our 1st Pfizer vaccine at a drive-up location. It was well organized and it was easy. We had no symptoms except for a slightly sore arm this morning. I'm glad we got it done. We get our 2nd vaccine in 3 weeks. :)
Daydream

Postby landog » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:35 am

Did you have the 2nd shot? If so, how was the reaction?
It's a 3 week wait for me before my 2nd shot...

viv wrote:I had my first COVID vaccine (Pfizer) this past week and I get my second in two weeks. Teachers in Va. are considered essential workers so get the vaccine early. It was great, no reactions whatsoever apart from very minor soreness around the site of the injection. I am very relieved and so thankful I survived and I am ready to get back in society (and dancing!) Our diet helps us in so many ways and in the times of Covid it's an extra special blessing.
Viv
landog

Postby viv » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:43 pm

Yes I got my second shot on Monday. It went the same as the first, apart from some minor soreness in my arm I was fine. I was waiting for something to happen and nothing did! The teachers I know who had their 2nd shots all had side effects of varying degree, some mild and some with very bad headaches, aches and fevers etc. Of course being a McDougaller, I attribute everything good to being on the McDougall Diet!
5'8", Started March 2013
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Next

Return to The Lounge