So disappointed in this "plant-based" restaurant in my town

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: So disappointed in this "plant-based" restaurant in my t

Postby Jeremiah » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:56 pm

Yes, true you can easily have those foods at home, but for a social outing or during travel steakhouses have often worked out very well.
If you're going out to eat for a personal special reason then I agree, it would be nice to find something more unique. Easier said than done, though.
Jeremiah

Postby Langeranger » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:26 pm

Dallas has a prosperous Vegan diner that serves delicious food and lascivious desserts. My wife and I typically celebrate our birthdays by indulging a meal at the place; the “Spiral Diner. I’ve considered speaking to the owner including explaining the McDougall WOE and suggesting the possibility of adding a couple of “compliant” meals to their menu.

I’ve never pursued the matter fearing it would be promptly dismissed and my time and effort would be shown to be a “fool’s errand.
Langeranger

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:36 pm

There are a few really good restaurants where you can get a compliant meal. My favorite is The Ravens, in Mendocino, CA. Then there is Panevino in Las Vegas, and Millenium in Oakland, CA.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Jeremiah » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:59 pm

Vanilla Orchid wrote:There are a few really good restaurants where you can get a compliant meal. My favorite is The Ravens, in Mendocino, CA. Then there is Panevino in Las Vegas, and Millenium in Oakland, CA.

Wow! I just looked at the website for The Ravens and it looks amazing, they even mark the oil-free options, of which there are many. I'm definitely going to go there with friends and family sometime. Thanks for sharing!
Jeremiah

Postby DenverGuy » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:17 pm

Your title is misleading. It does in fact sound like a plant-based restaurant.
DenverGuy

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:10 pm

Jeremiah wrote:
Vanilla Orchid wrote:There are a few really good restaurants where you can get a compliant meal. My favorite is The Ravens, in Mendocino, CA. Then there is Panevino in Las Vegas, and Millenium in Oakland, CA.

Wow! I just looked at the website for The Ravens and it looks amazing, they even mark the oil-free options, of which there are many. I'm definitely going to go there with friends and family sometime. Thanks for sharing!

Do you know why they mark the oil-free options? I had a sit down with the owner. Actually, I've had a number of sit downs with the owner. He's on-board. His wife cooks mostly without oil at home. Get their cookbook "Dining at the Ravens", and look at the forward. And, if you're planning to meet friends there, maybe you could let me know. l'd love to join you.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Jeremiah » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:19 pm

Vanilla Orchid wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:

Do you know why they mark the oil-free options? I had a sit down with the owner. Actually, I've had a number of sit downs with the owner. He's on-board. His wife cooks mostly without oil at home. Get their cookbook "Dining at the Ravens", and look at the forward. And, if you're planning to meet friends there, maybe you could let me know. l'd love to join you.

That's so cool to know. I'll definitely PM you before I go, would be fun to meet!
Jeremiah

Previous

Return to The Lounge