Food Marketing: an endless cycle

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Food Marketing: an endless cycle

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:53 am

Just thought I'd share an observation and the chuckle/sadness it brought.

No doubt, if you've ventured out to probably any grocery store in America, you've seen Halloween candy for several weeks already. But now, after passing "disposable" foil turkey pans and paper plate Thanksgiving platters, what did I see in the frozen aisles' end-cap? Peppermint stick ice cream--yep, a Christmas-time "tradition", I suppose.

I kept walking, first with a slight shake to my head, a silent chuckle, and an unseen smile due to my mask. "Here we're in a pandemic and they haven't skipped a beat", I mused. But then the seriousness of it all sobered and briefly saddened me as I just observed once again the reality of the food industry on full display. :?
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Re: Food Marketing: an endless cycle

Postby gracezw » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:59 am

Thank you! That does not bother me. I have no control of what other people think and do. I just go straight to what I want to buy and leave.

I mentioned to you this excellent long-time blogger's website:

https://myheartsisters.org/

She has blogged for 10 years how she has been living with her heart disease as a SAD eater. She is an incredibly strong lady having been through a lot and having so much to share. I have her book too. These are huge gifts she has given me. Her gifts offer me a big motivation for continuing with this WOE and lifestyle.

I am recently reading another lady blogger of 10 years on her cancer. She has four books. More huge gifts from her for me! Yesterday I read her blog on recurrence:

https://nancyspoint.com/breast-cancer-r ... lets-talk/

Mom+Me wrote:Just thought I'd share an observation and the chuckle/sadness it brought.

No doubt, if you've ventured out to probably any grocery store in America, you've seen Halloween candy for several weeks already. But now, after passing "disposable" foil turkey pans and paper plate Thanksgiving platters, what did I see in the frozen aisles' end-cap? Peppermint stick ice cream--yep, a Christmas-time "tradition", I suppose.

I kept walking, first with a slight shake to my head, a silent chuckle, and an unseen smile due to my mask. "Here we're in a pandemic and they haven't skipped a beat", I mused. But then the seriousness of it all sobered and briefly saddened me as I just observed once again the reality of the food industry on full display. :?
gracezw

Postby LuckyMomma » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:39 pm

I have mild weather all year, no autumn leaves, or snow. Some people decorate their homes with the change in seasons. I just go to the trader joe to look at the seasonal offerings. I enjoy looking and I carefully read labels. Big organic butternut squash for 2.49, stock up on organic pumpkin. I found a few seasonal things to share that was not super unhealthy. All I need is a little party to sample a small portion of everything but we know that is out. It’s just wishful thinking cuz I am pretty good about eating healthy. :D
LuckyMomma

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:29 am

Mom+Me wrote:Just thought I'd share an observation and the chuckle/sadness it brought.

gracezw wrote:Thank you! That does not bother me. I have no control of what other people think and do. I just go straight to what I want to buy and leave.

I mentioned to you this excellent long-time blogger's website:

https://myheartsisters.org/

She has blogged for 10 years how she has been living with her heart disease as a SAD eater. She is an incredibly strong lady having been through a lot and having so much to share. I have her book too. These are huge gifts she has given me. Her gifts offer me a big motivation for continuing with this WOE and lifestyle.

I am recently reading another lady blogger of 10 years on her cancer. She has four books. More huge gifts from her for me! Yesterday I read her blog on recurrence:

https://nancyspoint.com/breast-cancer-r ... lets-talk/

Thank you for sharing your shopping habits and the blogs/books of the women who have been suffering probably in most part due to poor eating habits--SAD in one form or another.

When I shop I have a very limited amount of time due to my caregiving responsibilities, so I am always rushing through the store as fast as I can. The store in which I saw the above referenced is huge, and I have to pass many, many aisles to get all that I need. In doing so, there are displays throughout the store. So I am not going out of my way to look at said items; they are there front and center, or in the case of the peppermint ice cream, on the freezer endcap I had to walk past as I left the restroom.

Regardless, seeing all these things is not tempting to me. I merely was musing how the "food" industry is in full swing during a pandemic. There may be shortages on other needed goods across the board, but for some reason, this industry seems to not only be able to provide regular day-to-day items, but all the extras.

I cannot control the machine that is the "food" industry, nor can I control people's choices. But when I can help to share about our WOE with some, that makes me happy that I can hopefully positively influence their health by their making healthier food choices.
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:12 am

LuckyMomma wrote:I have mild weather all year, no autumn leaves, or snow. Some people decorate their homes with the change in seasons. I just go to the trader joe to look at the seasonal offerings. I enjoy looking and I carefully read labels. Big organic butternut squash for 2.49, stock up on organic pumpkin. I found a few seasonal things to share that was not super unhealthy. All I need is a little party to sample a small portion of everything but we know that is out. It’s just wishful thinking cuz I am pretty good about eating healthy. :D

:) Thank you for sharing! I would imagine that living in a climate that doesn't change much makes it a bit more difficult to "feel" the changing of the seasons. Yes, back when I had more time to shop, I used to always enjoy looking at the various new or returning items at Trader Joe's! And, like you said, with a thorough review of the labels, at times some of their offerings are Dr. McDougall Plan compliant--if even for more of an occasional consumption rather than an everyday occurrence. The last time I was at TJ's I was able to get some fresh figs--yummy!!
Mom+Me

Return to The Lounge