Invitation to a celebration

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Invitation to a celebration

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:55 pm

We will be hosting a virtual celebration on Saturday, September 19, 2020, at 1:00 pm Pacific Time via Zoom in honor of Kathrine UK's 10 years of following Dr. McDougall. Kathryn was scheduled to attend a 3 day intensive (and to visit some of us here in Pacifica) before Covid-19 got in her way. She also hosted a McDougall compliant Bed and Breakfast in Oxford pre-Covid. She still hosts a Facebook Group called UK McDougall Friends.

Soo, instead of letting the virus spoil our get together, we will be welcoming every McDougaller on Earth, regardless of time zone. Please PM me if you would like to join, and I will send you an invitation.

Take that, Covid!
Vanilla Orchid

Re: Invitation to a celebration

Postby Mom+Me » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:07 pm

That's so sweet of you to do, Vanilla Orchid!! :)

Congratulations on 10 years of McDougalling, Katherine UK!! Here's to 10 more, then 10 more and...well you get the idea. :-) I hadn't realized that you host a UK McDougalling Facebook Group. Thank you for helping UK residents to know about and how to adapt to this WOE.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:23 am

Man, I was planning on going to that program, too. Such a bummer to miss it. I’d been planning the trip for over two years.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby KatherineUK » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:26 pm

Thanks very much for your good wishes! I was really really really reaally really cheezed off at not coming over this year. Still I've survived so far and not suffered financially too much just yet so I have been tremendously lucky - unlike some poor people. Goodness knows when I'll manage it now though.

Re the group I'm no saint and have fallen off the wagon many times but having the support of this group has been invaluable. I love the straight talking you are guaranteed to get when you post a question. I'm always referring people to this forum as I'm more than just a fellow traveller but far from expert.

Best wishes to all

Kx

p.s. my favourite Mary recipe which I now make without consulting the instructions, which I serve cold or hot, as a main or a sort of barbecue potato salad and which is always eaten first at our (not this year) annual street party is Mary's Peppered Kale and Potatoes:

Peppered Kale & Potatoes

Serve with Sriracha red chili sauce over the top for even more heat.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 2
2 cups small potatoes, chunked
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 portobello mushrooms, coarsely chopped
4 cups packed, coarsely chopped dinosaur kale
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon chili paste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
Place the potatoes in water to cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until fairly tender, about 8-10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, place the onion, garlic and mushrooms in a large nonstick sauté pan or wok. Do not add any liquid. Dry fry over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 5-6 minutes, until onions and mushrooms are fairly tender. Add the kale and stir gently to combine. Continue to cook, stirring frequently for about 2 minutes, then add the potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, then add the soy sauce, chili paste and pepper. Cook an additional 5 minutes, until kale is tender and potatoes are somewhat browned. Serve warm.
Hints: Small red potatoes may be substituted for the fingerlings, if desired.
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:35 pm

I am having some trouble with my PMs in this forum. I have received some messages from your and have replied, but they may not be getting through. So, instead, I'm posting this Zoom invitation to all below:

Claire Ervin Lee is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Claire Ervin Lee's Zoom Meeting
Time: Sep 19, 2020 01:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82332595416?p ... FLaW1CUT09

Meeting ID: 823 3259 5416
Passcode: 008700
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,82332595416#,,,,,,0#,,008700# US (San Jose)
+12532158782,,82332595416#,,,,,,0#,,008700# US (Tacoma)

Dial by your location
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 823 3259 5416
Passcode: 008700
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kfXmrq4MJ
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:35 pm

Thanks to Kathryn UK and f1jim for helping me get the PM situation fixed. You should all be able to join in the Zoom call now. This may, possibly, I think, be our first truly international McDougall gathering.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby KatherineUK » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:21 am

:-) :-) :-) This is just a big big big thank you to everyone who joined in on Saturday. A couple of us (like many others around the world) are seeing this crisis alone so seeing all those lovely friendly faces in my kitchen was certainly as good as having the company in person. Many thanks in particular to Vanilla Orchid for this initiative who is herself approaching an event which we all want to celebrate with her ;-)

I suspect this won't be the last time we do it so please all keep an eye open and feel free to pop in to say hello at the next one.

Sending lots of hugs across the water :-) :-) :-)

Katherine

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

KatherineUK

Postby KatherineUK » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:22 am

Lyndzie wrote:Man, I was planning on going to that program, too. Such a bummer to miss it. I’d been planning the trip for over two years.

it's so sad for us - hug!

KatherineUK

Postby f1jim » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:42 am

It's always nice to see the faces from across the pond!
See you next time.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:16 pm

We should do a something regularly for those of us who want to meet old and new friends.

Who is interested? What times/days are best for people?
Vanilla Orchid

Postby KatherineUK » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:48 am

Vanilla Orchid wrote:We should do a something regularly for those of us who want to meet old and new friends.

Any day except Mondays :-)

KatherineUK

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:53 pm

KatherineUK wrote:
Vanilla Orchid wrote:We should do a something regularly for those of us who want to meet old and new friends.

OK, how often? Monthly?
Vanilla Orchid

Postby KatherineUK » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:03 am

Vanilla Orchid wrote:
KatherineUK wrote:

OK, how often? Monthly?

Monthly would be good for me!

KatherineUK

Postby viv » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:09 am

Yes monthly for me too and week-ends are best. I wasn't in the last zoom meeting but it will be great to see you in the next.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:58 pm

Hopefully next time I will remember to put it in my calendar. Any time is fine, but I might have kids running around in the background.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Next

Return to The Lounge