Do we know what present day populations eat?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Do we know what present day populations eat?

Postby Hal » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:45 pm

...across the globe, and is there a map?

I'd like to know if the present-day 2020 way of eating differs between South Africa population and say Kenya and Malawi? That's one a Mcdougaller guru can probably answer. Anyone know the answer?

The reason i ask is that there's a fellow from the UK, a Dr. Campbell, has a Youtube channel, who is tracking the covid-19 pandemic like a detective. He noticed that Africa (Kenya, Malawi, and others) has something like ten times fewer mortalities from covid-19 than we have in North America, UK, or Europe, etc. Except for South Africa, where mortality is about the same. He is scratching his head as to why, because there are no obvious differences between populations in Malawi, Kenya, and South Africa, in terms of Vitamin D, genetics, and other factors. I am wondering if he might get a 'Bingo!' if he thought to look at what the populations were eating as a rule, between South Africa, and Kenya and Malawi and the rest of Africa. If a correlation can be made through the data, it could be more empirical evidence that the McDougall WOE is the right thing to do - in real time.

UPDATE:
A quick scan of Kenya gave me this.
"A typical Kenyan meal consists of ugali (a type of cornmeal porridge), sukuma wiki (collared greens), ndengu (stewed mung beans), and chapati (a tortilla-like bread made with wheat flour), all homemade.Jul 26, 2015"

Hmm.. Veerry interesting. BTW - i also looked at some photos of a group of folks from Kenya, and they are all fit and trim and sleek.

I didn't find much for Malawi, but what i found indicates that they are not doing as well as the Kenya -ns, probably eat the same things, but getting enough of these foods is difficult and some go hungry.
Hal

Return to The Lounge