For potato lovers

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

For potato lovers

Postby Dougalling » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:14 pm

OMG A must-see is the firzt story of the potato grower. The rest of the video you can skip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLz6tXGFqUw
Dougalling

Re: For potato lovers

Postby Mom+Me » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:17 am

Oh. My. Goodness!!!!! I want to try all (spoiler alert:) 400 varieties!! If we could only get our hands on even a handful of the varieties that would be great!

Hmm...after covid goes away, how about organizing a McDougall Adventure there?! We sure would get a lot of walking/hiking in, too! :wink:

The names of those potatoes--LOL. :D

He certainly is a testament to the power of the wonderfully nutrient-dense humble spud! (I do have to think that those taters are probably even more nutrient-packed than "our" Russets, etc..)

Thank you so much for the link--I just watched the first story, too.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Vegankit » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:12 am

Thanks for posting, I’d love to try some of those varieties. What a challenge to remember all those names.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Plumerias » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:23 am

I realize that this year is a bit difficult, but normally farmers markets are where I get different types of potatoes. Among my favorites are fingerlings, which are simply lovely roasted. Note, in my experience they don't keep as well as other varieties, so use them promptly, a hardship, I'm sure! My next favorite is German Butterball, a yellow fleshed one. It makes wonderful potato soups.
Plumerias

Postby kirkj » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:38 pm

You never see it in stores, but if you're a gardener you can grow Irish Cobbler. I've grown about a dozen potato varieties in the past few years and it's my favorite. I prefer dry and floury potatoes (like russets) vs waxy potatoes like the red ones in stores. Irish Cobbler is described as "dry and creamy" which sounds contradictory but it's accurate. You might see it at Farmer's Markets, too.
kirkj

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:35 pm

Thanks for posting.
Clearly the farmer in the video doesn't suffer a fear of 'carbs'!
It's a great natural experiment showing that someone can live from eating mostly potatoes.
It's just confirming how the rural Irish lived prior to the potato famines in the 1840s.
The farmer states that he doesn't buy anything meaning he grows all or most of his own food and I think that would be predominately potatoes given the climatic conditions.
Seeing that the nearest town is a three and a half walk away this makes sense.
Pumpkin Pete

Postby kimba » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:53 pm

I plan on trying all those spuds and look forward to growing them and harvesting.
kimba

Return to The Lounge