Article: Will Obesity Make COVID-19 Vaccines Less Effective

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Article: Will Obesity Make COVID-19 Vaccines Less Effective

Postby QubitBob » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:08 am

Fascinating article from Kaiser Health: https://tinyurl.com/yxc5jont

I had never heard of this before, but science has shown that a number of different existing vaccines are less effective in obese individuals. Experts believe the vaccines under development for COVID-19 won't be any different. Wow, even more incentive for overweight Americans to become McDougallers and make good health a priority!
QubitBob

Re: Article: Will Obesity Make COVID-19 Vaccines Less Effec

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:41 am

Wow--yes, very good points about effectiveness and people getting on The McDougall Plan! Thanks for sharing!
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:46 pm

I heard covid 19 vaccines are unlikely to work bec we have never had a successful vaccine for coronavirus types before such as the common cold. In philippine news, I heard russia wants to donate its experimental vaccine to filipinos.
colonyofcells

Postby michaelswarm » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:05 pm

We are all learning about the relationship between diet and infectious disease. The persons most at risk will have worst response to vaccine. The persons least at risk will have best response. Good to hear they are not excluding obese from trials. Hope they do not exclude elderly or those with pre existing conditions either.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HCEkb858AaM
Dr McDougall recent interview with Chef AJ described drop in infectious disease in Norway, under plant based war time rations. This was in same period as Spanish Flu. Similar idea has been expressed by Dr Hana Kahleova of PCRM about at Adventist sanatoriums during Spanish Flu and Dr T Colin Campbell about viral antibodies and outcomes in lab and China Study.

Healthy persons (WFPB diet) have more effective immune response and better outcomes.
Sick persons (obese, chronic disease) have less effective immune response and worse outcomes.

Now I wish our public health experts would advise persons how to effectively lose weight. (Hint: Ask Dr McDougall how.)
michaelswarm

Return to The Lounge