What does Dr. McD and JeffN say about daily flaxseed?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

What does Dr. McD and JeffN say about daily flaxseed?

Postby gracezw » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:30 pm

Is it recommended, allowed or not?
gracezw

Re: What does Dr. McD and JeffN say about daily flaxseed?

Postby GlennR » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:28 pm

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57085&p=576514&hilit=flax#p576514

Omega-3 rich chia and flax seeds can used to top cereal and replace eggs in baked goods (1 tbsp chia or ground flaxseed plus 3 tbsp water = 1 “egg”). Whole flax seeds are not digested so it is best to buy ground flax seeds or even better, grind them right before use in a coffee grinder. Use other seeds (sesame, pumpkin, sunflower) sparingly.
Glenn
GlennR

Postby darad » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:25 pm

I simply add ~1/2 cup ground flax seed to my weekly steel cut oats, or about 7-8 tbsp. So I guessed right.

Recipe: 1 1/4 cup steel cut oats, 5/8 cup pearled barley, 1/4 cup quinoa, plus 3+ cups of varied chopped frozen fruits. Enough for 7 portions.
darad

Postby gracezw » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:15 pm

Thank you to Glenn and Darad!

Seems that daily flaxseed is allowed and not recommended. Do you know whether bad things can happen if I don't eat daily flaxseed? What can daily flaxseed prevent from happening?
gracezw

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:26 pm

gracezw wrote:Thank you to Glenn and Darad!

Seems that daily flaxseed is allowed and not recommended. Do you know whether bad things can happen if I don't eat daily flaxseed? What can daily flaxseed prevent from happening?

I don't think any bad thing can really happen if you don't consume flax, because as you said, it is allowed but not recommended. For people who worry about omega 3's, I heard a no-oil WFPB lady doctor last year who said she tests her blood yearly for omega 3 and her levels are always completely fine without consuming daily flax or either never eating nuts and seeds or rarely eating them.

As for the claims of flaxseed reducing cholesterol levels, I think Dr. McDougall's Plan is more than adequate in one halting and even reversing cardiovascular disease--including healthy cholesterol levels.

This of course does not mean that there aren't exceptions. It's much more rare, but some people's numbers come down very slowly. And some people have elevated numbers despite truly adhering to Dr. McDougall's Plan for a significant amount of time; those rare cases are probable genetic.

I could be wrong, but there are potentially not-so-good things about daily flaxseed consuption: the fat raising one's cholesterol and also flax seeds being or becoming rancid.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:00 am

Here Dr. McDougall says these two positive things about flaxseeds:

"Flaxseed increases bowel movements by about 30%.11 Flaxseed can be consumed as a cereal, like Uncle Sam Cereal©, or flaxseed can be added to any grain before cooking – add 2 to 4 tablespoons of flaxseed to each cup of grain, such as rice. Flaxseed may also reduce the risk for colon carcinogenesis.12"
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby darad » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:53 pm

gracezw wrote:Thank you to Glenn and Darad!

Taking daily flax seed is about as harmful as taking HCQ + Zinc + Azithromycin as prophylactic in current environment! (unless one has stomach or digestive issues with flax seed) 8)
darad

Return to The Lounge