New Study on Effectivness of Cholesterol Meds

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

New Study on Effectivness of Cholesterol Meds

Postby f1jim » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:07 pm

The latest. A new huge review of the data on statins. Even more questions than ever.....

https://consumer.healthday.com/cardiova ... 60086.html

f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: New Study on Effectivness of Cholesterol Meds

Postby PJK » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:30 am

In this week's video interview between Dr. McD and Chef AJ, the good doctor says he suspects cholesterol is only a *marker* of overall cardio health. If he's right, then just lowering LDL wouldn't do much.

And that's what the article you point to seems to say:

"It's a leap of faith to think that if you lower LDL, it will bring down your cardiovascular risk and mortality. LDL is just one component of the cardiovascular disease process," he said, adding that just correcting LDL may not be enough to make a difference in the risk of heart disease, stroke and death.

[The "he" in this quote is the study's author, Dr. Robert DuBroff, clinical professor of medicine in the division of cardiology at the University of New Mexico's School of Medicine in Albuquerque.]
PJK

Postby f1jim » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:35 am

Exactly, so if you are depending on that statin to save your bacon(pun) without really making serious dietary changes you are probably living a pipe dream. Statins under limited circumstances, can help but are no substitute for real lifestyle and dietary changes. Too many people think getting their number "right" makes them safe.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:57 pm

f1jim wrote:Too many people think getting their number "right" makes them safe.
f1jim

So true!! I have seen it way too many times where people think everything's okay as long as their numbers are in line. Yet their need for medication continues to increase as their health decreases, but their waistlines and risk of mortality increase. Very, very sad.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby jay kaye » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:48 pm

The problem with this study and many like it is that they are not understanding that the statin benefit are on an "S" shaped curve. Until one get the LDL under 150 (not 200) and the LDL below 55 there is little benefit seen.

The was all presented by Dr. Willaim Clifford Roberts at a McDougall ASW some years ago. Dr. Roberts is the is the executive director of the Baylor Cardiovascular Institute of Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, and specializes in cardiac pathology. He was the editor of both the American Journal of Cardiology and the Baylor University Medical Center Proceedings.

Read his article on Statins, cholesterol and heart disease titled " It is the Cholesterol, Stupid!"

J
jay kaye

Return to The Lounge