An embarassing but important question

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

An embarassing but important question

Postby jlefae » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:26 am

I started the Maximum Weight Loss Program about 10 days ago. I have been vegetarian for 33 years and vegan for 2 1/2 years before this program. I am 51 and have struggle with my weight most of my life. I really only need to lose 10-15 pounds, but it is so hard! After reading the book, I realized i was eating way too much nuts/nut butter, avocados, and oil in my cooking. Plus a lot of flour and processed foods like meatless sausage. I haven't found it that difficult to eliminate those things (nuts and seeds are the hardest one) but I haven't lost any weight yet and my bowel movements have changed significantly, and not in a good way. I used to be quite regular and the consistency was good. I usually had one first thing in the morning, and then again in late afternoon or evening. Since starting this program, I only poop every other day, even though I feel like I need to, it just won't come out. And when I do go, it is quite runny and makes my butt burn. What could be causing this? It seems that most people have the opposite results.
jlefae

Re: An embarassing but important question

Postby Dougalling » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:39 pm

Hi

It sounds like you have a blockage.
Call your doctor.
Soon.
Dougalling

Postby barryoilbegone » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:58 pm

It might help to let us know exactly what specifically it is you're consuming on plan now (including fluid) for possible sensitivity/allergy possibilities - plus if there's any known pre existing medical conditions for you, and any meds or other substances you're talking aside from food.

There might, unhappily but coincidentally, be some kind of blockage as said (this isn't caused by water and fiber on a McDougall diet though). Might also be some kind of infection as well I suppose is possible? Again, chances of having infection are LOWER on a McDougall plan, not higher, so this would be just unfortunate coincidence if the case.

We aren't necessarily medics, so can't formally advise, but these might be some starting points. Hope we can help here.
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Postby debknott » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:42 pm

I fought constipation ALL my life. When I started having a big bowl of oatmeal almost every day a few years back, the constipation virtually went away. I was shocked but happy. I think it's a very important source of fiber for my particular body. Maybe it would help you too.
debknott

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:23 am

I could see there being a change in frequency and especially consistency, but I would think the consistency would become drier from the sudden removal of fats. The consistency and burning you are experiencing are perplexing to me as well.

I am no doctor. All I can do is share with you that my elderly McDougalling relative used to go at least 1 if not 2 times per day. But after having some medical issues related to an accident and subsequently being a lot less active due to disability, he now only goes once every other day. His primary doctor has no problem with that.

I agree with debknott about the oatmeal. And all I can add is that make sure you are consuming enough starch (corn, potatoes, whole grains, some legumes, etc.). Wishing you better health and bowel movements!

By the way, welcome to the Discussion Board! :)
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Return to The Lounge