A Big Fat Lie movie

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

A Big Fat Lie movie

Postby Vegankit » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:00 am

I just watched an interesting movie called The Big Fat Lie

“ Following a heart attack, Grant discovers the whole food plant-based diet, turns his life around and embarks on a quest to seek the truth about fat”

Grant Dixon is a professional documentary maker living in New Zealand. While recovering from his heart attack surgery he discovered Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn. He’s trying to get the message out to his fellow countrymen.

I was shocked by the statistics showing how unhealthy New Zealanders are.

I watched it for free on Hoopla. If your local library pays for the hoopla service you can watch for free. If you don’t have a library card you can usually get one on line or by calling your local library.

I think it’s also free to members of Amazon Prime.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Re: A Big Fat Lie movie

Postby Mom+Me » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:33 pm

Thank you for sharing! I'm definitely going to try to watch it!

I find that everyone responds to everything differently. Even though this health message has been around for quite some time, my family and friends respond to the message differently depending where they are in their life and who's story speaks to them more. So, I think the more documentaries like this there are, the better. People in our world are literally dying to hear the WFPB (preferably starch-based) no-oil message!
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Vegankit » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:57 pm

I agree, we’re all different. What draws me in could be very different than someone else. Makes the world more interesting. I found it fun to watch because it was coming out of New Zealand. I believe Grant Dixon made it to reach the people of New Zealand, something they could relate to more than perhaps movies made in the USA.

What I like about this movie is it’s completely in agreement with the McDougall. Some of these whole food plant based movies are good until you see them pushing the nuts or heavy on juicing which makes me cringe.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Taggart » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:31 am

Grant Dixon did an interesting interview during a visit to Australia I first watched about a year and a half ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUD4s3oWJJY
Taggart

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:02 am

Vegankit wrote:What I like about this movie is it’s completely in agreement with the McDougall. Some of these whole food plant based movies are good until you see them pushing the nuts or heavy on juicing which makes me cringe.

Yes!!! I know exactly what you mean! How refreshing to learn that this documentary follows the life of a McDougall Plan type following transformation. Now I really, really want to see it!! :)
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:20 am

Taggart wrote:Grant Dixon did an interesting interview during a visit to Australia I first watched about a year and a half ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUD4s3oWJJY

Excellent!! Thank you for sharing! :thumbsup:

(That recipe he shared certainly sounded interesting! :-D)
Mom+Me

Postby viv » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:34 am

New Zealand is one of the biggest dairy producers in the world, so I'm not surprised that there are many health problems. It's great that a New Zealander is spreading the message, however I bet he's getting lots of push back from the dairy farmers as so much of the NZ economy depends upon dairy.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Vegankit » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:16 pm

Viv, he addressed that in the movie and he was trying to get the government to make changes in their recommendations but he couldn't get anywhere.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Return to The Lounge