My DEXA scan results

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My DEXA scan results

Postby Ltldogg » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:07 pm

Vanilla Orchid wrote:I am in Dr. Fishman's yoga study. He now has developed three sets of yoga poses to combat osteoporosis. In addition, since the virus hit he has been hosting free webinars, and this Tuesday he has one with a plant-based lifestyle medicine doctor as well. If you go to his website at http://www.sciatica.org you can sign up for his newsletters and get notice of all of his webinars and on-line classes. The website can be a bit hard to navigate, but his assistant, Liz Larson is great, and gets right back to you if you email her at [url][email protected][/url]. She will be able to send you the link for the webinar so you can register.

Thank you very much Vanilla Orchid. I did find my way to this site thanks to C.R.'s post above. I'll email Liz to get registered. I really appreciate your help!

Sincerely,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby viv » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:27 am

Take up ballroom dancing! It's the fountain of youth and once you start dancing the jive and the jitterbug your bones will get strong real quick! Plus much more fun than lugging weights around.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Drew_ab » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:00 pm

I appreciate your openness in sharing your DEXA scan results. I don't have any suggestions in addition to those already given, but wish you well. I do wonder if simply increasing your BMI would result in a higher BMD. If memory serves me correctly, you have a BMI of about 18-19?
Drew_ab

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:15 pm

Drew_ab wrote:I appreciate your openness in sharing your DEXA scan results. I don't have any suggestions in addition to those already given, but wish you well. I do wonder if simply increasing your BMI would result in a higher BMD. If memory serves me correctly, you have a BMI of about 18-19?

Hi Drew,

I appreciate your posts. My current BMI is 20.3. I've been weighing in around 126-127 for awhile now and my height is currently 5' 6.25". Putting on weight itself will not help unless that weight is additional muscle and BMD. I have purchased and started using a weighted vest, jump rope and added jumping jacks into my routine. I have also started doing 12 yoga poses and am back to doing body weight exercises.

Still, with all that being said, I might still not be able to recover from the osteoporosis because people with Ankylosing Spondylitis have a much higher loss of BMD than the average person.

I just started taking a new drug, RENFLEXIS (infliximab-abda), which is biosimilar to Remicade. This is my second and last TNF-inhibitor/DMARD. If this does not work, I'm done with drugs unless an actual cure comes out in my lifetime. There are some small published studies that show AS patients treated with infliximab and other TNF-i drugs saw an increase in BMD, which could indicate hope that you one can overcome the natural BMD decreasing effects of AS. However, there are several caveats that come with these studies (as usual); not to mention the drug actually has to work for the person. And that's the rub, I doubt this drug, just like Humira did not, will work for me; it's not so far. Time will tell over the 14 weeks total.

~Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:19 pm

viv wrote:Take up ballroom dancing! It's the fountain of youth and once you start dancing the jive and the jitterbug your bones will get strong real quick! Plus much more fun than lugging weights around.

Viv

Hi Viv,

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't foresee any type of ballroom dancing in my future. I don't enjoy dancing myself and with the pandemic going on, it's not even an option.

I personally love taking long and many walks and wearing the weighted vest is a fun challenge :) To each their own. The key point is to get up and be active daily. That has never been a problem for me. Even in the first year of these diseases when I could barely walk, I was still going outside for walks (limps really) daily.

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby viv » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:51 pm

Hi Scott,

It's great that you have fun taking long walks with your weighted vest. I admire your tenacity in the face of this health challenge to keep going and put one foot in front of the other. I think you have mentioned meditation in previous posts, that's definitely what has helped me get through health challenges in the past. There are so many great healing meditations on you tube now. I wish you well.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:54 pm

For what it's worth, my husband and I are avid ballroom dancers. We also do other types of dance, and miss it immensely given Covid 19. But, sad to say, I've found that it takes more than that to increase bone density.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Dougalling » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:06 am

Hello

Here are some articles that might help you

7 top nutrients for bone health
https://www.womenshealthnetwork.com/com ... ealth.aspx

the calcium myth
https://www.betterbones.com/bone-nutrit ... -and-bone/

Of course, do a search of "osteoporosis" on nutritionfacts.org
Dougalling

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:07 pm

Dougalling wrote:Hello

Here are some articles that might help you

7 top nutrients for bone health
https://www.womenshealthnetwork.com/com ... ealth.aspx

the calcium myth
https://www.betterbones.com/bone-nutrit ... -and-bone/

Of course, do a search of "osteoporosis" on nutritionfacts.org

Thank you for sharing these links, Dougalling!

I had to smile when the conclusions are to get some sunshine and eat plenty of dark leafy greens, beans, whole grains, etc....hmm, sounds like another confirmation that Dr. McDougall has had it right all the time! :nod:

(Not that I had any doubts, but sources like the above can be cited and shared with those who may disagree with the validity of The McDougall Plan because they like to hear good news about their bad habits.)
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Previous

Return to The Lounge