lipid test - lab tests on sale

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

lipid test - lab tests on sale

Postby landog » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:36 am

Lab Extension is having a sale on lab tests. If you are curious about your lipids, you could get it checked for under $27.

https://www.lifeextension.com/lab-testing/itemlc381822/chemistry-panel-complete-blood-count-cbc-blood-test

You can use the test anytime over the next 6 months. I often get two when they are on sale. One for now and one in 6 months.

How it works: https://www.lifeextension.com/lab-testing

Thanks to Jeff Novick for cluing me in on this...

Be well,
-dog
landog

Re: lipid test - lab tests on sale

Postby hazelrah » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:41 am

Who draws your blood when you do this?

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby JeffN » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:10 am

This will explain the process

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55142

You go to a local Labcorp and they draw the blood, which is included in the price you pay for the test. About 1-3 days later you get the results in the email.

PS, if your lab order ever expires, just call life extension with the order number and they will extend it another 6 months for free

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby hazelrah » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:46 pm

JeffN wrote:This will explain the process

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55142

Thank you. Sounds pretty simple.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:25 am

Thank you for this wonderful "heads up"/information, dog!

It almost seems to good to be true--to get it all done for under $27--wow; what a deal!!

I noticed that a couple of the measurements (LDL +VLDL) are calculated. Does anyone know if calculated results aren't as reliable as actual results? When I was checking into at-home cholesterol testing on Amazon, someone commented that the calculated weren't quite as accurate.

But for the price, one really cannot go wrong!! I'm thinking that the only way they can offer these tests at such wonderful prices is because once you get your results, they're hoping you'll call for the free consultation where they'll try to sell you products. :wink:
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:32 am

I read that you can either fast, or have it done 2-6 hours after eating. Which do you do, dog? I've always heard that cholesterol should be done from fasting...?

Do they really just e-mail the results? Do they do any further contacting afterwards? I'm thinking especially if levels were elevated? Also, do you think there are any privacy concerns--like a person's insurance company finding out about the results and possibly raising rates if one is deemed unhealthy/at-risk (I'm thinking of family and friends who could have this issue.)?
Mom+Me

Postby JeffN » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:24 am

Mom+Me wrote:I read that you can either fast, or have it done 2-6 hours after eating. Which do you do, dog? I've always heard that cholesterol should be done from fasting...?

Depends. Some blood values need to have a 10-12 hour fast, for some it makes no differences and for some it depends. For lipids, they find fasting or waiting 2-6 hours is fine. The say the 2-6 hours gives a more realsitic picture.

Most all LDL values you get are calculated. You can get direct measurement but it cost a bit more. Or, if you have followed my posts, one can get an APO-B test which is now considered the best marker.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=56785&p=606949&#p606949

Mom+Me wrote: Do they really just e-mail the results?

Yes. You own them. Same as with your doctor or health center. You can request copies of “your” labs anytime.

Mom+Me wrote: Do they do any further contacting afterwards? I'm thinking especially if levels were elevated?

No. They are for your records. They have been in business doing this a long time. Yes, they are a supplement company too but they never call you or push you. They will mail you a sale flyer every now but you can stop that too.

When we did the 2 Meals for Health program, they were the company who did the blood draws for us.

Most all of this is explained at their website in the links and they have one of the best customer serviced departments too, if you have any question.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:47 am

JeffN wrote:
Mom+Me wrote:I read that you can either fast, or have it done 2-6 hours after eating. Which do you do, dog? I've always heard that cholesterol should be done from fasting...?

Depends. Some blood values need to have a 10-12 hour fast, for some it makes no differences and for some it depends. For lipids, they find fasting or waiting 2-6 hours is fine. The say the 2-6 hours gives a more realsitic picture.

Most all LDL values you get are calculated. You can get direct measurement but it cost a bit more. Or, if you have followed my posts, one can get an APO-B test which is now considered the best marker.

Yes. You own them. Same as with your doctor or health center. You can request copies of “your” labs anytime.

Mom+Me wrote: Do they do any further contacting afterwards? I'm thinking especially if levels were elevated?

No. They are for your records. They have been in business doing this a long time. Yes, they are a supplement company too but they never call you or push you. They will mail you a sale flyer every now but you can stop that too.

When we did the 2 Meals for Health program, they were the company who did the blood draws for us.

Most all of this is explained at their website in the links and they have one of the best customer serviced departments too, if you have any question.

In Health
Jeff

I second everything Jeff said. I started using them years ago thanks to Jeff and highly recommend.
Ltldogg

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:23 pm

JeffN wrote:

In Health
Jeff

Thank you, as always, for all the great information, Jeff! Not fasting for lipids is a new concept to me, but makes sense. I will check into the APO-B test, too--thank you for the link!

It sounds like since the results are ours and this company is very reputable, one should not have to be concerned about privacy issues where an insurance company could find out. I know a couple of people who aren't even keen on getting a blood draw let alone having their medical information out there for their insurance companies to discriminate.

Thank you!
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:26 pm

Ltldogg wrote:
JeffN wrote:

In Health
Jeff

I second everything Jeff said. I started using them years ago thanks to Jeff and highly recommend.

Thank you for letting me/us know of your positive experiences, too! I'm sold. :) Now to convince some family members and friends.... :roll:
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:22 pm

Has anyone had this one done? https://www.lifeextension.com/lab-testi ... rian-panel But like the description says, it's more so for those who are processed food vegetarians/vegans, not McDougallers.
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:01 pm

Does anyone know how often these go on sale? Maybe for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, too?

I know that you basically get a year to use it, but I'm just thinking in case one decides to end up getting something else tested down the road, like vitamin B-12 or D, etc..

Thank you! :)
Mom+Me

Postby JeffN » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:27 pm

Mom+Me wrote:Does anyone know how often these go on sale? Maybe for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, too?

I know that you basically get a year to use it, but I'm just thinking in case one decides to end up getting something else tested down the road, like vitamin B-12 or D, etc..

They are always a discounted price and even more so for a member. You can join for the year or the month.

They have their annual blood lab sale, which is their lowest prices of the year, in June. This year, due to Covid, they extended it to mid July.

As mentioned above, the order for any test is good for 6 months from the date of purchase. If for some reason you don’t get to use it and it expires, you can call them and they will renew it for 6 more months for free. This can be repeated several times.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:07 am

JeffN wrote:
Mom+Me wrote:Does anyone know how often these go on sale? Maybe for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, too?

They are always a discounted price and even more so for a member. You can join for the year or the month.

They have their annual blood lab sale, which is their lowest prices of the year, in June. This year, due to Covid, they extended it to mid July.

As mentioned above, the order for any test is good for 6 months from the date of purchase. If for some reason you don’t get to use it and it expires, you can call them and they will renew it for 6 more months for free. This can be repeated several times.

In Health
Jeff

Ahh... I didn't know that one could become a member and gain even greater savings; thank you! Thanks, too, for letting me know that it's an annual sale as well as their extension of the sale.

Yes, even without the sale the prices seem more than fair. When I looked into at-home cholesterol tests on Amazon, they were much more expensive, not very accurate and/or hard to do, and required a lot of blood from a finger prick.

Thank you, once again, for all of your help, Jeff! I plan to call there in the next day or so to ask a couple more questions and then order. :)
Mom+Me

Postby brec » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:01 pm

Quest Diagnostics does Direct LDL tests (as opposed to calculated LDL). DirectLabs, directlabs.com, is an online source. Currently $34.

DirectLabs' current price for Apolipoprotein B (APO-B, which Jeff mentioned) is $69.
brec

Next

Return to The Lounge