Donated meals + essential workers' health?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Donated meals + essential workers' health?

Postby Mom+Me » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:27 pm

Is it just me, or have any of you also wondered how, during the last few months, the health of those deemed as essential workers' health has fared considering that many of them have received food donations from well-meaning people? By us pizzas, ribs, chicken dinners, donuts, funnel cakes, boxes of chocolates, etc. have all been given to everyone from hospital staff to the police to grocery store workers. Just hoping that these folks' health has not or is not declining from "foods" they may never have eaten otherwise.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Re: Donated meals + essential workers' health?

Postby gracezw » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:18 pm

I did not know that. I don't know what foods an average essential worker usually eat. I assume that their foods are not that different from the donated foods to them from the well meaning people.
gracezw

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:42 am

gracezw wrote:I did not know that. I don't know what foods an average essential worker usually eat. I assume that their foods are not that different from the donated foods to them from the well meaning people.

Yeah, it's been on the news here, and one time I went on the Facebook page of a local village to look up something, and it had pictures of people from different establishments giving such "foods" to the local police. The Facebook page of our local hospital systems had pictures of doctors, nurses and other medical staff receiving meals, candy, etc..

Yes, the workers probably eat how they're going to eat. But I can't help but wonder that maybe the lunch they took to work was some leftover dinner or a homemade sandwich...snacks maybe some fruit and pretzels...rather than over seasoned, highly palatable (fats, sugar, salt) restaurant meals and/or desserts...and in more frequent and greater quantities. Also, during normal times they may have passed, but under the tremendous amount of stress may have lost their willpower and succumbed to the temptations of the Pleasure Trap.

I sincerely hope that I am wrong!
Mom+Me

Postby Dougalling » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:10 am

Hi

Most of these people are shift workers , so , whoever was on shift would have a meal/snacks. The donated meals/snacks will feed a small portion of the people working that day. A lot of people are low-carbers (ewww) and won't touch the meals/sweets donated. Some are vegan or WFPB no SOS and will escape the generosity. Be kind, donate some McDougall soups, some Engine 2 meals ;) and also help other good causes with your purchase.
Dougalling

Postby Mom+Me » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:14 pm

Dougalling wrote:Hi

Most of these people are shift workers , so , whoever was on shift would have a meal/snacks. The donated meals/snacks will feed a small portion of the people working that day. A lot of people are low-carbers (ewww) and won't touch the meals/sweets donated. Some are vegan or WFPB no SOS and will escape the generosity. Be kind, donate some McDougall soups, some Engine 2 meals ;) and also help other good causes with your purchase.

Hopefully it is only a small fraction of the population, in fact, I'm sure it is. It would be interesting to know if it's basically the same workers who kept/keep receiving these "gifts".

A lit of people were saying that by purchasing meals, etc., it was a good way to keep the restaurant employees working and would be a good, thoughtful, helpful gesture to the recipients.

Gifting McDougall cups, etc. is a very good idea!!
Mom+Me

Return to The Lounge