Advantages and disadvanages of heating/cooking leafy greens

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Advantages and disadvanages of heating/cooking leafy gre

Postby gracezw » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:29 am

I don't like chard and don't eat it. They grow on their own! The last we got from our garden were volunteers!

I find daisy greens in Asian stores. I just learned that their flowers are edible too. If I have time, I will try to grow some. But mostly likely I won't find time for that. :-(

Mom+Me wrote:
Hmm...daisy greens. Never had those before! Where do you find them to purchase?

Neat about growing your own chard. :nod:
gracezw

Postby Mom+Me » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:19 pm

gracezw wrote:I don't like chard and don't eat it. They grow on their own! The last we got from our garden were volunteers!

I find daisy greens in Asian stores. I just learned that their flowers are edible too. If I have time, I will try to grow some. But mostly likely I won't find time for that. :-(

Mom+Me wrote:
Hmm...daisy greens. Never had those before! Where do you find them to purchase?

Neat about growing your own chard. :nod:

The growing chard were volunteers--LOL! :-D

I'll have to get to an Asian store to see if they have daisy green--thank you! How awesome is that that the flowers can also be eaten? They'd be pretty in a salad, floating in a beverage, doting a dessert (yes, even a fruit salad).

Yep, finding time to garden...that's difficult. Hoping you're able to do so.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Hal » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:56 pm

I'm also one who has come to enjoy 'steamed' greens (kale) in pasta. I use it in my spaghetti several times a week, where i like a LOT of crushed tomatoes (caned or jar) as sauce and add basil. I almost always use regular pasta because i haven't taken to 'whole wheat' yet. I tried the whole wheat pasta for several weeks but never found it appealing for spaghetti. I don't know if i'm doing myself any harm by using regular pasta as i am thin and not trying to loose weight, but just in case i put the kale in the sauce and it's quite good that way.
Hal

Previous

Return to The Lounge