wonder about this

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

wonder about this

Postby nfsus » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:48 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z03xkwFbw4

we all agree that gylcemic control is important. i wonder how this really works out?
nfsus

Re: wonder about this

Postby Hal » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:12 pm

I think the answer comes at 9:00 - where the wrong conclusion is reached (for some reason) about the effects of short term increase of glucose from rice. She thinks the spike in glucose will cause diabetes or make the disease worse, whereas we have learned that the disease is not caused by temporary spikes that are normal in healthy people after rice, but caused by longer term or continuous high levels, due to insulin resistance caused by organ damage from too much fat in the body.

I can see how it's an easy mistake to make. Especially if you are looking to confirm what you wish, and think you understand (that ice cream can't be all that bad, is not unhealthy and possibly even healthier than rice, so all things in moderation, right guys?). A bit like the story about the guy who keeps looking for his keys under under the street lamp because that's where the light is..

Or if they are studying only diabetics, those with insulin resistance, they will not have a short 'spike' at all, but a more sustained one, to my knowledge, but correct me if i'm wrong. So if they aren't studying healthy people they won't be recording glucose 'spikes', instead they will see longer period increases in levels which are the problem. Maybe they aren't even aware that the 'spikes' are brief in healthy people - there are not a lot of perfectly healthy people in the population - you have to be quite young or WOE compliant to be healthy and free of insulin resistance. So if everyone is insulin resistant, finding food that doesn't raise your glucose is a worthy goal, if not a cure. Of coarse, nobody is supposed to be insulin resistant in the first place, and fixing that is the cure.

I guess another thing is - it takes time, as we know, for the gut and body to adapt to a change in flora, and our flora takes time to adapt to a change in WOE, so the differing effects on the different bodies from different foods could be accounted for by variations in gut flora from subject to subject, unless time is allowed for the food/flora/body system chain of events to settle into a new state.

It would be great if these folks were to study the effects of 'rice instead of ice cream' on a group of healthy active children for say, five years. They could start with two healthy groups - the 'rice instead of ice cream' group and the 'ice cream instead of rice' group. After five years they can line them up side by side and determine which group is healthier and has less insulin resistance. :) Their idea might be an interesting one to explore though.
Hal

Re: wonder about this

Postby michaelswarm » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:52 pm

Insulin sensitivity is important. Insulin sensitivity naturally leads to healthy glycemic responses. Glycemic control is term I mainly hear associated with diabetes management, where the speaker almost invariably fails to address insulin sensitivity and resistance.

The idea that everyone has their own personal diet is more good news about bad habits.
michaelswarm

Return to The Lounge