Surprising response to WFPB life style

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Surprising response to WFPB life style

Postby laugenstein » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:32 pm

My wife and I have been enjoying WFPB lifestyle for about 3 years. I have heard lots of comments about needing dietary supplements, protein from animals, calcium from milk etc. But the single most memorable comment came in response to not using or eating oils. The response was "How do you lubricate yours joints without consuming oils?"
laugenstein

Re: Surprising response to WFPB life style

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:51 pm

:D :lol: Too funny! Thanks for sharing and many congratulations to you and your wife!!

It's actually sad, though, how people are so brainwashed. :cry:
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:52 pm

P.S. Welcome to the Discussion Board!
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby gracezw » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:34 am

That is a good one! Thank you! I have a similar story. A friend of mine has had constipation for a very long time. She has also been a heart patient, and has many aches and pains all over her body. Before she tried no-oil whole food plant eating with me, she had told me that she planned to follow someone else's advice by drinking a big bowl of cooking oil to lubricate her intestines! I did not want to know whether she did it or not. Later after trying no-oil whole food plant only eating for a week, her constipation disappeared!

laugenstein wrote:My wife and I have been enjoying WFPB lifestyle for about 3 years. I have heard lots of comments about needing dietary supplements, protein from animals, calcium from milk etc. But the single most memorable comment came in response to not using or eating oils. The response was "How do you lubricate yours joints without consuming oils?"
gracezw

Postby barryoilbegone » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:42 am

Aye, this is a curious one! I'm a healthcare worker, and have heard this one a few times from patients - but a lot of people are still taught that cod liver oil is good for their joints, and probably then make the same assumption that other oils are good for them too in the same way?

And obviously, many still are taught that olive oil is good -(or even essential!) for their heart. Its what I believed at one point as well.

Clearer days ahead, thank goodness...
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Postby gracezw » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:53 pm

People in the UK can eat some oil, either essential or not, because if they are sick, they have universal healthcare to cover them. Americans eat like they have great healthcare.

barryoilbegone wrote:Aye, this is a curious one! I'm a healthcare worker, and have heard this one a few times from patients - but a lot of people are still taught that cod liver oil is good for their joints, and probably then make the same assumption that other oils are good for them too in the same way?

And obviously, many still are taught that olive oil is good -(or even essential!) for their heart. Its what I believed at one point as well.

Clearer days ahead, thank goodness...
gracezw

Postby ceci » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:34 pm

laugenstein wrote:My wife and I have been enjoying WFPB lifestyle for about 3 years. I have heard lots of comments about needing dietary supplements, protein from animals, calcium from milk etc. But the single most memorable comment came in response to not using or eating oils. The response was "How do you lubricate yours joints without consuming oils?"

This is funny! :-D
I think I would tell them I use axle grease instead.
ceci

Postby dstewart » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:51 am

That is hilarious, but I have read or watched plenty of vegan nutritionishists recommending oil in diet to lubricate joints, as if food flowed to parts of the body directly, and oil went to the joints—because, after all, we’re like the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz. “Oil can!”

The funny thing is that what actually cushions our joints, where bones connect, is synovial fluid, which is proteins and carbohydrates, not fats.
dstewart

Return to The Lounge