AUDIO CD book

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

AUDIO CD book

Postby justangiel » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:30 am

I am looking for the Starch SOlution book on CD for my legally blind mother. If someone has it stored away and would like to gift it to us we would be grateful. I can order off Amazon but my mother does not want me to pay $39 for it. She is a very frugal person.
I recently adopted this plan and in having wonderful success in 30 days told my mother about it when she stated she was tired of feeling awful. I would love for her to have an audio CD version of it for her.
In 30 days I have lost 14lbs, cleared up some female issues, brought down my BP, cleared up my adult acne, and am on the road to a healing of my arthritis. I am amazed at the results that I have been trying to achieve in so many other ways. I sleep better at night. My brain fog is gone. I have energy to move my body each day and am hopeful for my future health and well being.
Can't wait to write Dr. McDOugall a letter...a year from now.
justangiel

Re: AUDIO CD book

Postby Mom+Me » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:00 am

justangiel,
Congratulations on your success, thank you wanting for share Dr. McDougall's The Starch Solution with your mom, and welcome to the Discussion Board!

If your mom has access to the internet, she can listen to this free video of Dr.
McDougall's 1 hour and 12 minute presentation of "The Starch Solution": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaNDDuqmCs&app=desktop

Looking forward to hearing of your (and hopefully your mom's :nod: ) continued success!
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby AnnetteW » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:33 am

Also the whole SS course is free to listen to, it's hour upon hour of awesome information. I've listened to it all while doing morning walks.
AnnetteW

Postby Mom+Me » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:44 pm

Great recommendation, AnnetteW!

It can be found here: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/prog ... on-course/

I had looked for the free downloadable books and videos, but it seems that those are no longer free(?).
Mom+Me

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:20 am

Mom+Me wrote:I had looked for the free downloadable books and videos, but it seems that those are no longer free(?).

They still all say free download for me.

videos (just Dr. McDougall's and Dr. Lisle's - Jeff's are still for sale) - https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/shopping/dvds/
ebooks - https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/shopping/ebooks/
podcasts (actually audio versions of 3 of the DVD sets) - https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/shopping/podcasts/
VeggieSue

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:24 am

VeggieSue wrote:
Mom+Me wrote:I had looked for the free downloadable books and videos, but it seems that those are no longer free(?).

They still all say free download for me.

videos (just Dr. McDougall's and Dr. Lisle's - Jeff's are still for sale) - https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/shopping/dvds/
ebooks - https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/shopping/ebooks/
podcasts (actually audio versions of 3 of the DVD sets) - https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/shopping/podcasts/

Thank you, VeggieSue!! I don't know what I did yesterday, but when I checked to see if it was possibly on audio download, it didn't show up as being free. But now when I followed your links, they did!

Another question, I only access the internet on my pay-as-you-go phone, so data isn't cheap. :| Several weeks ago I made sure I had a good amount of data on my phone and tried downloading one of the items. It took a long time (and a lot of data) only for it to fail. :cry:

Any tips on how to download and/or why it failed? I was willing to spend the money on the data to download that and other items, but have not attempted it again as I can't keep losing data.
Mom+Me

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:03 am

Mom+Me wrote:Another question, I only access the internet on my pay-as-you-go phone, so data isn't cheap. :| Several weeks ago I made sure I had a good amount of data on my phone and tried downloading one of the items. It took a long time (and a lot of data) only for it to fail. :cry:

Stop trying to download them! It'll be cheaper in the long run to just buy the hard copies of the books and DVD's from a place like ebay or other used book stores. These are huge, gigantic, multi gigabite files that may take hours to download and just one would quite possibly take up more room on your phone than you have space for. And that's zipped (compressed) - once you unzip them they're even larger.

Your best bet would be to try download one of the "podcasts" - audio versions of the multi-disc video programs. But even then, IDK how a phone would decompress them if they come zipped like the videos. I didn't bother with them, myself, since I already owned all 3 of the DVD sets, but since they're only MP3 files they would be smaller than even one video.

Did you sign up for the Starch Solution and McDougall Diet Therapy courses? Once you submit your email address you get links to watch them on-line, as well as links to the audio-only version of each video. Nothing to download permanently to your phone. Those may be the only things your phone can easily handle, but remember you'll be paying for the time to watch them out of your data allotment, just like something like a YouTube video would.

Everyone in my family uses those pay-as-you-go phones, and my husband and I still use flip phones. There's no way I would even try to nab any of those files onto either one of these, not even our son's Android smartphone. These files are just way too big for anything like that. Heck, our flip phones barely connect to the Internet to tell us how much time we have left and would never even be able to connect to this website! LOL Phone calls and the occasional text is about all they can handle.

Maybe start a new topic here in the Lounge asking for help getting the info onto a phone - I'm sure one of the more tech-savvy people here can offer you some suggestions that may be better than mine. Good luck!
VeggieSue

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:21 am

Thank you for replying, Veggie Sue!

I already have all the books in physical form (my mom had gotten the early to mid ones) and I've purchased the latter ones. I have to look again to see what I'm missing when it comes to the audio/video. I just thought it would be neat to have them in their digital formats for supper easy access and for sharing with others.

Maybe if the libraries open before the free offer ends I can download at the computers there. If not, I just won't try to download again--thank you!

Yes, I have signed up for the Starch Solution Program but haven't listened to or watched any of the audio/videos yet. I'd love to but it's a time and data issue again. :?

Ahh...the flip phone. :) I would still have one if I could--that is so much more my pace!! But I've been forced to go with a "smart" phone due to the age in which we're living and it being my only means of getting on-line...especially since I can't use the computers at the library now.
Mom+Me

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:42 am

justangiel wrote:I am looking for the Starch SOlution book on CD for my legally blind mother. If someone has it stored away and would like to gift it to us we would be grateful. I can order off Amazon but my mother does not want me to pay $39 for it. She is a very frugal person.

I think I would just purchase the CD and gift it to her, no details about the purchase, it's not her issue, it's a gift.
AnnetteW

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:01 am

AnnetteW wrote:I think I would just purchase the CD and gift it to her, no details about the purchase, it's not her issue, it's a gift.

Very good point, AnnetteW!

I just looked it up on Amazon. If you could download it (or however that works), it's only $12.99 on Kindle. But that probably isn't an option otherwise you would have done that.
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:04 am

...and I just went back to Amazon to see if they offer used copies of the CD. Not only are those not available, but there's only 1 CD copy left in stock. So it you're going to buy, but soon!!
Mom+Me

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:02 am

Mom+Me wrote:...and I just went back to Amazon to see if they offer used copies of the CD. Not only are those not available, but there's only 1 CD copy left in stock. So it you're going to buy, but soon!!

That's why I suggested ebay and other used media places. Amazon hasn't been that great lately - more vendors with exorbitant prices than Amazon itself with lower-than-new prices for used merchandise.

As for the flip phones - I'm afraid their days may be numbered. In this post-covid world, so many places, like stores, barbers, even doctors' offices, are now going to require not just appointments made in advance, but you have to call when you get there, and they'll call or text you to let you know when you can come into the building. At least one of our local dentists is also forwarding you links to forms that must be filled out just before walking in the door (medical questionnaire and covid liability disclaimer) and are insisting on hands-free payment with things like Apple Pay. We can't do any of those things on our flip phones, so we may be forced to bite the bullet and get smartphones. I use my phone now for less than a half hour a month and pay only $20 every 90 days. Hubby has the same service plan for his phone, but gets closer to the maximum number of minutes since he uses his phone for his work phone AND our home phone (no more landline). I never switched over because of the crazy costs for smartphone service that includes phone/text/data.
VeggieSue

Postby viv » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:10 pm

Hi Veggie Sue,

Consumer Cellular has great rates. I went from $90 month with Verizon to $30 a month with Consumer Cellular. They have cheaper plans also for minimal useage. Plus they are great to work with, Verizon was a pain. Wish I had done it years ago, it would have saved me thousands! They also have good deals on phones, I have an iphone.

https://www.consumercellular.com/

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Mom+Me » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:43 pm

VeggieSue wrote:
Mom+Me wrote:...and I just went back to Amazon to see if they offer used copies of the CD. Not only are those not available, but there's only 1 CD copy left in stock. So it you're going to buy, but soon!!

That's why I suggested ebay and other used media places. Amazon hasn't been that great lately - more vendors with exorbitant prices than Amazon itself with lower-than-new prices for used merchandise.

As for the flip phones - I'm afraid their days may be numbered. In this post-covid world, so many places, like stores, barbers, even doctors' offices, are now going to require not just appointments made in advance, but you have to call when you get there, and they'll call or text you to let you know when you can come into the building. At least one of our local dentists is also forwarding you links to forms that must be filled out just before walking in the door (medical questionnaire and covid liability disclaimer) and are insisting on hands-free payment with things like Apple Pay. We can't do any of those things on our flip phones, so we may be forced to bite the bullet and get smartphones. I use my phone now for less than a half hour a month and pay only $20 every 90 days. Hubby has the same service plan for his phone, but gets closer to the maximum number of minutes since he uses his phone for his work phone AND our home phone (no more landline). I never switched over because of the crazy costs for smartphone service that includes phone/text/data.

Agreed about Amazon and the probable end of flip phones. :-(

We've been with Tracfone since the mid 2000's. Used to pay $100/year for service and more than enough talk and text for us. With the dawn of "smart" phones, the data is becoming the most costly thing. But for those who can access wi-fi, then it's not a problem.

Yep, my smartphone was too small and old. I just got a LG Pie operating system with a year of service for $60 + tax shipped for free from http://www.hsn.com . I was able to transfer my existing Tracfone # to it with no problems. With the one year of service, it also came with 1,500 minutes of talk, 1,500 texts, and 1.5GB of data. For some reason the minutes, texts, and data weren't added, so I have to contact them about that. But for say $65 out the door for 1 year of service, a new phone, and the minutes, etc., it's hard to beat.

Just used it the first time to do a video visit with my elderly loved one's neurologist--worked perfectly. I was skeptical because I had never done any video call, etc. before.

Haven't tried it yet, but supposedly calling individual (not business) phone numbers from a whole host of countries would cost the same minute-wise as calling your next door neighbor.

You may want to check into Tracfone. You can even use your current phone and transfer your phone# to their service. No, I do not work for them or own their stock. :)
Mom+Me

Return to The Lounge