Knee pain

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Knee pain

Postby nfsus » Wed May 13, 2020 6:41 pm

So almost a year eating like this. Below both knees I've got serious pain. Something like.jumpers knee. I dont jump. Tendonitis probably. Wont go away. No labs. Vitamin d? Gotta be something. Any ideas? No pain before and it started a month ago of so.
nfsus

Re: Knee pain

Postby Grammy Ginger » Thu May 14, 2020 5:13 am

Maybe you should go to a PT for advice. Sometimes rusty parts need good old elbow grease before they stop squeaking. I found that to be true with my ripped up rotator cuff. Once I got the right exercises, stretches, massages, and posture advice, I stopped reinjuring the area. After I finished my shoulder rehab, I asked them for exercises for other problem areas. Everything they suggested helped the other problems, too. Whenever I have a new problem, I get advice from a PT and get chiropractic adjustments. These professionals don't rush to give me drugs or surgery. Since Dr. McDougall tells us to stay away from the cutting, burning, poisoning, money-grubbing medical people, I stick with eating a starchavore diet, daily exercise, and these non-invasive treatments. Good luck.
Grammy Ginger

Postby Hal » Thu May 14, 2020 11:33 am

Hi, nfsus. Sorry to hear about this. I'n just curious, how long has the problem persisted?
Hal

Postby nfsus » Fri May 15, 2020 2:56 am

Yeah in stay away from dr offices unless I just have to go. And it's been going on 3 or 4 months now.
nfsus

Postby LuckyMomma » Sat May 16, 2020 11:44 am

Could it be patellar tendinitis?

Look for YouTube videos on patellar tendinitis exercises.
LuckyMomma

Postby MINNIE » Sun May 17, 2020 2:09 pm

Could it be low B12?

Look up the connection between joint pain and low B12.

Hope you can figure it out and get better!
MINNIE

Postby Hal » Sun May 24, 2020 1:35 pm

Any other unusual conditions at the same time, such as muscle weakness?
Hal

Postby Freya » Tue May 26, 2020 3:29 pm

I had knee pain until I eliminated gluten. Just a thought.
Freya

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:03 pm

Go to https://sciatica.org/?page_id=964 Scroll down to the webinar on hips and knees. Note the password. That will get you into the recorded webinar by Loren Fishman, MD, who is also a yoga teacher, and treats many skeletal problems with yoga. He is amazing. His webinars are live via Zoom on Mondays, and he answers questions. If you can't make the webinar, you can access the recording later. Check it out, and good luck. His webinars are free. He also conducts Zoom yoga classes, but there is a charge for those.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Chumly » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:22 am

I've gotten a lot of help by visiting the Egoscue center in Atlanta. Pete Egoscue wrote a book called Pain Free that has exercises designed to help correct posture and muscle imbalances that can lead to chronic pain.

Michael
Chumly

Postby Thrasymachus » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:32 am

Non-traumatic knee pain and even a lot of traumatic knee pain is usually because muscles usually in your calf muscles or somewhere in your glutes or hamstring are too tight for knots. If you do some self massage you could find tremendous relief

This can help you find what spots are best to target:
http://www.triggerpoints.net/hip-thigh-knee

Personally I find most the knee pain I have is from this and other muscles in my calf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Gk7t4rId8

My trigger points for my knee pain are also often right under my knee cap(patella).
Thrasymachus

Postby nfsus » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:22 pm

Well I'll update. Dr was useless. Seems to be the norm anymore. I decided to go back to glycine for a week and see if that helped. It did. I've used it for years. Yeah it's not vegan or whatever but it works. Anyway I appreciate the help and suggestions.
nfsus

Postby Skip » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:04 am

Recently, I've experienced knee pain while playing tennis. This seems to have helped:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J ... UTF8&psc=1
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby ceci » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:42 pm

As someone suggested above, sounds like patellar tendinitis, quite painful. I'd give the knees a rest, see a sports physiotherapist and, unless he/she suggests to do exercises, abstain from too much physical activity until the pain has gone away.
ceci

Postby shell-belle » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:57 am

Ankles and feet are the underpinning of the knees and hip stretching will help with knee pain.

Do easy gentle stretches - even just a little bit
makes such a difference...I FEEL LESS STIFF AND MORE BALANCED when
I do some gentle daily stretches.

Miranda-Esmond-White's program emphasizes working to your level, gently pressing your limits, but always backing off if pain occurs. She says we have to stretch and strengthen and re-balance our whole body.

first watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElzhxWo ... 1EU-C6fi9b

then this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCvLPr- ... 1EU-C6fi9b

you liberate your spine and work all muscles of your core

then this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuFk9OJ ... 9b&index=3
which talks about speeding weight loss but is also tones and strengthens your body
all over so is good for anyone..
Miranda's videos were always helping me stay healthy and mobile. I love the safety and gentleness of Miranda's movements. This is strength and mobility training everyone can - and should do! I have recommended it to several friends in these last 10 years. I love how she explains what she is doing and why. She makes so much sense, and her routines are appropriate for any age, any size, any shape. It is a perfect starting point as well as a way to stay in shape.
This type of mobility and flexibility is good even for serious athletes! She gets pro athletes who have injured themselves out of pain.

Miranda slowly and gently moves you through the movements. I remember I felt energized and noticed increased flexibility after only a few sessions. Best to start with 5-8 min sessions then moving on to 10-12-15 minutes etc.
shell-belle

Return to The Lounge