Coronavirus vs McDougall Diet

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Coronavirus vs McDougall Diet

Postby Jeff55 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:51 am

I was wondering if we who follow the McDougall diet could post here how we are doing against the Coronavirus? Do you know any McDougallers who have gotten really sick? Also, how have you generally responded when you get sick since eating the McDougall diet? I've noticed that when I get sick now my symptoms are much milder than before I switched to this diet.
Jeff55

Re: Coronavirus vs McDougall Diet

Postby Jeff55 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:24 am

How have you been doing with Coronavirus? Did you get it? What was it like? I'm curious if we McDougallers are doing better than the average American.
Jeff55

Postby Daydream » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:36 pm

My husband and I are both senior citizens so we are staying home as much as possible to avoid being exposed to the coronavirus. We always wear a mask when we go out of the house and we wash our hands when we come home. I only go out of the house once a week to do marketing.

I've been on the McDougall diet for 8 years and I rarely get sick (which I think is due to my healthy diet).
Daydream

Postby frozenveg » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:43 am

Like Daydream, my husband and I are mostly staying home and our son, who also follows a plant-based diet, does most of our shopping for us. I've been McDougaling for 10 years and rarely get sick, and I also credit the food and life style. My husband does not follow the food, and he's very overweight and has various health issues. I am staying as safe as I can for his benefit, as far as avoiding possible infection.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Jeff55 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:11 pm

Amazing. Any other updates from anyone?
Jeff55

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:35 pm

My husband and I are well. We are seniors, retired, and still do our own shopping. We go outdoors for walks, we do yoga indoors, and my husband does tai chi. We wear masks everywhere we go. It's just the two of us at home. Prior to Covid, we were pretty social, and did a lot of dancing that put us in close contact with others in groups. Since the start of the pandemic, neither of us has had so much as a cold. I attribute it to the fact that we have little contact with anyone outside our home and always wear masks.

I'm indoors a lot more than usual, and do more sitting. I have to force myself to get out and get excercise. I'm more inclined to eat stuff I shouldn't than before the pandemic, probably out of some frustration. Still, we're healthier than before. Weight has not changed for either of us.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Ltldogg » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:54 am

I don't work and stay home as much as possible and my wife stays home other than work. She has got her first shot since she is an essential worker (non-healthcare). Her mother lives with us and is 79; it is rare she goes out and is only for doctor's appointments or the rare errand she has to run herself.

Remember, many people that switch to The McDougall WOE come in with pre-existing conditions, chronic illnesses and chronic damage. While following McDougall's WOE can help a person have a much better health outcome, it is not a miracle cure and most chronic damages cannot be undone, which can make a person susceptible to worse symptoms and outcomes from COVID-19.

I only know a couple McDougallers personally and none of them have been infected yet, but we all take the appropriate and responsible measure of wearing mask, limiting exposure, social distancing, etc.

Be safe, Be responsible, Be courteous,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby pundit999 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:14 pm

My wife and I have been eating wfpb for eight years now for the most part.
She has to go to work but wears mask etc.
I work from home.
Have grown kids coming and going and they are not very careful.
We shop at grocery stores and eat out while sitting outside.
Have not been affected by Covid yet.
Fingers crossed.
pundit999

Postby Suey51 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:59 am

I tested positive for Covid nearly 2 weeks ago. I feel lucky (and grateful) that my symptoms have been pretty mild - sore throat, tiredness, mild diarrhoea, sneezing, runny nose and lost senses of taste and smell.

I'm generally healthy and have been a McDougaller for 3.5 years. My husband, who eats this way 80-90% of the time, tested negative. He recently had a second negative test and an antibody test, both of which came back negative. I get way fewer colds than I used to and put that down to my healthier lifestyle. My last cold was about 14 months ago and my husband didn't get that either, so perhaps he has stronger immunity to these kinds of viruses??

I'm feeling much better now; a little tired and my senses of taste and smell are still affected. I'm trying to eat mindfully, focussing on the food's texture, mouth-feel and temperature and trying to notice which flavours I can and can't taste. Hoping that things improve over time!
Suey51

Postby frozenveg » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:44 am

Oh, Suey, I am so sorry to hear you got COVID-19!! Take care of yourself and we will think good thoughts for your full recovery!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Daydream » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:57 pm

Suey, I'm sorry you have covid. You are lucky that your symptoms are mild. I hope you recover quickly.
Daydream

Postby QubitBob » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:13 am

My theory is that McDougallers will experience less severe COVID-19 infections. I consider this to be informed speculation. Part of the reasoning behind this is the idea that people who eat a WFPB diet have a "healthier" gut microbiome. This leads to a healthier immune system which is neither too strong nor too weak.

I first learned about the link between the gut microbiome and the immune system from an article which appeared in the March 2015 issue of Scientific American magazine. It was titled Innovations in the Microbiome and part of it can be found online. In particular, the "infographic" which can be found at this link ( https://tinyurl.com/zdlc37t ) explains how the microbiome of people who eat a high-fiber diet regulates the immune system, lowering inflammation and helping to prevent autoimmune disorders.

And guess what? A recent scientific study (link: https://tinyurl.com/yykpnubm ) seems to confirm this. Scientists found drastic differences between the gut microbiome of people hospitalized with serious cases of COVID-19 and a control group whose gut microbiome had been sampled in an earlier study. The patients with COVID-19 had a gut microbiome more associated with systemic inflammation compared to the non-COVID study subjects. Now, the study which I would like to be conducted in the future would sample the gut microbiome of people who contracted COVID-19 but had mild symptoms to see if they have a "healthier" gut microbiome.
QubitBob

Postby Suey51 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:04 am

Thanks Frozenveg and Daydream for your good wishes!

Overall, I'm feeling much better. :-D Taste and smell are nearly back to normal (phew!) and learning to pace myself and get plenty of rest as still feeling more tired than usual.
Suey51

Postby Hal » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:34 pm

Incidentally, according to a recent study, there's evidence that there is a correlation between air-pollution and severity of covid and recovery time.
"There is a strong established link between severe viral respiratory disease, which causes infection in 10∼20% of the population, and air pollution.2" - from NIH: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7151372/
Hal

Postby Jeff55 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:41 pm

Interesting articles. Thanks for posting.
Suey51, how are you feeling now?
Jeff55

Next

Return to The Lounge