Wife has spong kidneys

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Wife has spong kidneys

Postby nfsus » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:26 pm

My wife has and has had sponge kidneys all her life. Nothing new. She is not on any diet nor does she have a dr listed accepted or avoid list of foods. I'm well aware of the kempner diet. I'm fairly.well versed in the mcdougal plan. I personally eat like this so it was a no brainer to mention this to her. Well mention might not be a strong enough term.....

Anyway, does anyone have any input of this woe in relation to sponge kidneys? Thanks
nfsus

Re: Wife has spong kidneys

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:32 pm

Hi nfsus, I am not familiar with your wife's condition, but hope that this may be helpful: https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2004nl/jan/protein.htm
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby nfsus » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:46 pm

Seen that. Thanks. Looking for something well more in depth. Same rules should apply. But looking into the limited minerals and so on that will take the load off. Like in chronic kidney disease. In my mind it should be similar. Drs here have no clue. Plant based drs are free and far in between. So its click and read. Click and read. Retain and forget. Same ol same ol. Of course she dont eat right as it is so I'm not sure that it would be super important to lock it down right away, but some minerals are very higher in content with plants so I'm looking
nfsus

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:23 pm

What specific minerals is she lacking or would seem beneficial for her?
Mom+Me

Postby nfsus » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:38 am

It's not what she's lacking but rather what she should limit. Phosphorus, potassium and protein I think. I've just started looking into it. She complains of back pain and I'm sure it's her kidneys finally getting worse. Just my observation and opinion. Dr and ultrasound verified and dxd the sponge kidneys years ago when we were lots younger. But young, dumb, busy and invincible right?
nfsus

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:04 pm

Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby michaelswarm » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:38 pm

You have probably already seen each of thses by using the main search function, but just to cover the bases...

McDougall Hot Topics
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/hot-topics/medical-topics/kidney-disease/
- Lists 3 newsletters with relevant articles (2011, 2x 2007)

McDougall Common Health Problems
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/common-health-problems/kidney-disease-kidney-failure-nephritis/
- Summary of recommendations

McDougall 2nd Opinion
https://www.drmcdougall.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/Urinary-Disease-A-Challenging-Second-Opinion.pdf
- Relevant chapter from Dr McDougall book

Agree that just working on time and compliance is first step, but also becoming your own expert or at least advocate important too.
michaelswarm

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:39 am

nfsus, have you thought about posting your question on Jeff Novick's section of this Board? viewforum.php?f=22
Mom+Me

Return to The Lounge