Blood test: Low HDL!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Blood test: Low HDL!

Postby human vegetable » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:41 pm

Yesterday, I received the results of a recent blood test: total cholesterol 159 mg/dl, triglycerides 85, LDL 115, HDL 29. I'm 46, male, normal weight, no pre-existing heart issues, been on a LFPB diet for quite some time.

I always have a low HDL score which slightly worries me. What do you think? Any recommendations on how to raise one's HDL? Is this even necessary?
human vegetable

Re: Blood test: Low HDL!

Postby JeffN » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:12 pm

JeffN

Postby human vegetable » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:55 am

Jeff, thanks a lot for your reply!

If I understand the article by Dean Ornish that you quoted in the linked thread correctly, the low HDL number merely shows that in the context of my low fat diet (consistently less than 10 % fat, at the moment I eat virtually nothing besides whole grains, legumes, veggies and some fruit) just very little HDL is required.

Therefore, I don't need to be worried about not reaching the norm that is geared to SAD eaters, rather I should see the low number as a validation of the low fat diet doing its job.

That is a relief! Thanks again!
human vegetable

Postby JeffN » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:33 pm

human vegetable wrote:If I understand the article by Dean Ornish that you quoted in the linked thread correctly, the low HDL number merely shows that in the context of my low fat diet (consistently less than 10 % fat, at the moment I eat virtually nothing besides whole grains, legumes, veggies and some fruit) just very little HDL is required.

Yes.

And the additional posts showed that decades of trying to raise HDL (through diet, exercise, supplements, medications) to lower risk have not worked to make people healthier and improve outcomes.

There are sub-fractions of HDL and our recommend diet, the HDL, even though it is often lower, is much more efficient and anti-inflammatory. Raising HDL can result in a less efficient and pro-inflammatory HDL.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to The Lounge