Its cheat day. I mean thanksgiving

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Its cheat day. I mean thanksgiving

Postby nfsus » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:47 pm

So I've been tossing the idea around about thanksgiving and how to eat. I've not had and meat eggs dairy oil or bread since june 7th. Been awesome for my health. So here's the holidays. I've been a good boy right? I can cheat today, right? Well let's just go with that. I wish I hadn't.

So I ate regular food. Very disappointing. Devils eggs were yucky turkey was yucky. Everything was just not so good. Ham was ok. Dressing was ok. Mashed potatoes were ok. Canned cranberry was pretty good. Very disappointing overall indeed. And I'll prob feel like crap later. Honestly while cooking this mess I kept thinking man this will be great. A free day. But I kept.wondering how much my tastes buds have changed. Well crap. Just crap. Nothing tasted good really. Nothing. I just cant say nothing and crap and disappointed enough. And my god the fat content in this stuff. Never really paid attention before. I had looked but not really paid that much attention.

Of course I blame mcdougall. Sneaky snake oil salesman changed my taste buds when I wasn't looking. Damn fad diets. But it wont kill me. But honestly I dont feel like doing it again. I'm like most folks, that even after all I've learned and still debate what is optimal for our health but the sad isn't it. So I've lived, learned and am moving back to my starch diet. My rice and black beans kicks ass in comparison.

Out of curiosity who else did this switch just to see how it was? And were you disappointed as well?
nfsus

Re: Its cheat day. I mean thanksgiving

Postby Shmookitty » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:55 pm

I didn't eat off plan today, but I did let myself have three slices of pizza back in July, after eating clean for four months (before McDougall). I looked forward to the outing all week, ordered a salad to go with it to balance out the fat...and got sick from the cheese. Never again.

Meat doesn't tempt me but cheese and ice cream used to. Not after that pizza experience. I even noted yesterday that Food Lion carries almond milk and coconut milk ice creams now. Wasn't tempted to buy any. I just don't crave ice cream anymore. Thank you, Dr. McDougall.

Just steamed my next batch of sweet potatoes as I was snacking on the last of my last batch. Sweet potatoes rule. :-D
My name is Renee, McDougalling starting October 5, 2019
Shmookitty

Postby nfsus » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:27 pm

I too have noticed a change in cravings. I used to crave peanut butter milk and cheese. It's all gone. I'm satisfied itll stay gone. Suites me fine too. Oh I've tossed it around a lot and I think world populations ate meat. Even starch based people. But it really was the small amounts. And their meat was way different from our meats. I doubt we could find anything close to what theirs was. At the same time we've mutated our plants too. So I'll just say happy t day and come christmas I'll stick to rice n beans!

Blood sugar was 78 at lunch. 3 hours later 113. So a little elevated still but not bad.
nfsus

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:01 pm

I’ve done it before, because I wanted to eat those foods I used to love, but unfortunately I don’t have the same fondness for them anymore. The good news is you have the opportunity to make new traditions. There is a whole new world of foods to explore!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Grammy Ginger » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:07 pm

I've experienced that a time or two. Now, I see those foods as poison. What else besides poison could make me nauseated, headachy, sluggish, and with a bad taste in my mouth until I finally vomit? Eat like that, suffer like that...I have no desire to eat any of it.
Grammy Ginger

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:35 pm

Count me in on the "been there, done that" crowd...more than a few times in the course of many years. At least when we think we are missing out, it is experiences like the one you had today, nfsus, that make us realize we are not missing out! :) The key is to stop it at that. Otherwise it unfortunately can be where it doesn't take too much to go back to the old WOE. But overtime we learn. Some of us have thick heads and stubborn wills...again, from past personal experiences. :roll:

I'm sorry to not address everyone's posts by stating your (user)name, but I'm pretty exhausted--great, but very busy, not a lot of sleep half a week. Anyway, I remember years ago my mom telling me how she read (I think in the old paper McDougall Newsletters) how people would attend the Program and be compliant, but invariably some would eventually eat non-compliant, like greasy Chinese food at a restaurant and then that oil would effect them (let's just say mad dash to the restroom) and they would call it "McDougall's Revenge". :D

At times when I was compliant for a long time and then had some dairy (yep, cheese or ice cream), I'd have a very similar "McDougall Revenge" experience, and call my trek to the restroom the "Dairy Dash". It is not fun at the time, but kind of funny thinking about it now and as mentioned above, so not worth it, especially when we can enjoy so very, very many delicious foods and creations that are actually making us healthy--true win wins!!! :-D
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby michaelswarm » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:38 am

Yes, I think my tastes have changed too. Or returned to their natural sensitivity. For lunch I ate leftover tortillas, black beans, lettuce and salsa, and noticed how delicious this tasted, and that I would be happy to eat this delicous simple dish for every meal. (Dinner was lentil loaf, mashed potatoes, bread stuffing, roasted corn, fruit salad, cucumber salad and pumpkin pie.)

Just reading Dr McDougall’s response to another thread about added sugar, that also mentions fat and oils. I was unaware there were taste buds for fats. Wikipedia notes 5 established tastes, including unami, but not fat.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2010nl/jun/100600.htm

The sixth sense of taste is for fat. People who are highly sensitive to the taste of fat avoid eating fatty foods, and as a result, they are less likely to be overweight.3 The overexposure of people to fatty foods on the Western diet causes them to become desensitized to the fat taste, leaving these people more susceptible to overeating fats and oils. This would be analogous to the adaptation that takes place with salt. When people switch to a low-salt diet they soon become accustomed to the new taste and perceive high-salt foods as less palatable. Following a low-fat diet increases the sensitivity of the fat sensors in the mouth. In a short time—say in fewer than 10 days spent on the McDougall Diet—people lose their taste for fat and find oily and greasy meals repulsive.

Good explanation for my experience.
michaelswarm

Postby Hal » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:01 am

So far, I do this every year at Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. I eat a few small bites of turkey or ham or roast beef, and fill up on mashed potatoes and vegetables, a teaspoon of gravy, but no butter or sour cream/mustard, dips, whipped cream, cake, cookies, cream cheese, chocolates, nuts, or any of the other things people fill up on all day. I agree - I also find the best part of these dinners is still the mashed potatoes, or the baked sweat-potato-yam which is just the pure mashed vegetables roasted in a casserole dish. My system is usually back to normal inside a day or two. :)
Hal

Postby gracezw » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:08 am

Thank you for pointing out the sixth sense of taste. It definitely applies to me. I am one of those people who are highly sensitive to the taste of fat. Now it is plant fat(plant oil, nuts and seeds, soybeans, tofu, soymilk) for me. There was a big difference, there is still a difference between food with higher plant fat and that without. The former just tastes so much better. I have been working on this. I am getting less sensitive to it. But when I am not careful, it comes back.

The fifth is MSG. That is so true! Fortunately I have stopped eating it completely and no craving since.

michaelswarm wrote:
The sixth sense of taste is for fat. People who are highly sensitive to the taste of fat avoid eating fatty foods, and as a result, they are less likely to be overweight.3 The overexposure of people to fatty foods on the Western diet causes them to become desensitized to the fat taste, leaving these people more susceptible to overeating fats and oils. This would be analogous to the adaptation that takes place with salt. When people switch to a low-salt diet they soon become accustomed to the new taste and perceive high-salt foods as less palatable. Following a low-fat diet increases the sensitivity of the fat sensors in the mouth. In a short time—say in fewer than 10 days spent on the McDougall Diet—people lose their taste for fat and find oily and greasy meals repulsive.

Good explanation for my experience.
gracezw

Postby Dougalling » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:55 am

nfus You took the words right out of my mouth. I still crave stuff but I know that stuff will not taste great. It will taste too salty, too greasy, too meaty, just overall yucky. Fortunately I have so much great food to eat now that it's not a problem. I also know that I will never make an animal suffer for a craving. Grateful for all the great food we have. Thank you Dr McDougall for your persistance in promoting good health and THANK YOU Mary McDougall for all your great recipes.
Happy Life everyone !
Dougalling

Return to The Lounge