21 day challenge

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

21 day challenge

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:07 pm

Who wants to join me for a 21 day challenge? All levels of McDougalling are welcome. Do the basic plan, a Mary’s Mini, MWL, whatever version works for you. Ground rules are no animals, no oil. Touch base here regularly (daily?) and let us know how it’s going.

It starts...right now.

Because, why wait until tomorrow? This very minute seems like the perfect time to start! This challenge will run until July 1st. Feel free to jump in anytime during the next three weeks. With some accountability, we can throw all those exceptions out the window (or in the trash, or fed to someone we marginally like).

Also, you might want to step on the scale and see where things stand, and see what changes have happened at the end of the month.

Who’s with me?!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: 21 day challenge

Postby michaelswarm » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:45 pm

Ok, I’m in. Doesn’t everyone here just eat on plan every day anyway?

Day 2:
B: Applesauce Porridge and Ginger Spice Tea
L: Rice and Lentil Stuffed Poblano Chilis
D: Black Bean Potato Tacos
Avoided leftover birthday cake from my 3 year old.

Day 3:
B: Applesauce Porridge and Ginger Spice Tea
L: Grains and Greens
D: Rice and Lentil Stuffed Poblano Chilis
One son home sick with diarrhea, along with the baby. No one touched the still leftover cake today. I did feed them mango-banana nice cream though.

Day 4:
99.9F fever (37.7C). Sore throat and stomach, so no food today, just rest. Neither on nor off plan. Kids were recently sick with fever, vomit and diarrhea. So far no vomit or diarrhea.
Last edited by michaelswarm on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
michaelswarm

Postby Ltldogg » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:14 pm

Hey Lyndzie,

I'll join you. As I have written many times in the past I eat a very restricted and edgy McDougall plan to help combat pains for my many Autoimmune Diseases. Recently I tried re-adding in some fiber and fun foods to help with the sheer boredom and depression I am hit with at times, but, unfortunately, those foods (fat free refried beans, 5 tostida chips per meal + chunky salsa) still increase my weight, edema, blood pressure, bloating, and especially trigger AI pains.

I'm currently up in weight and started this morning at 132.9. My normal weight is around 125-127.

My height is 5', 6.5", I'm 42 going on 43 and my blood pressure average today after 3 readings 5 minutes apart was 118/74 and my RHR average was 63. My normal BP is around 90/60 and my normal RHR is around 55.

So starting today I am back to eating puffed rice cereal, white rice with some added sugar or sweet chili sauce.

I'll keep posting daily for the 21 days and look forward to seeing other's reports.

Good luck and be healthy,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby taymariekay » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:59 pm

I'M IN!!

Today was day one for me and I was compliant all day 8)

Ready for day 2!!

Day 2:

-hash browns and Brussels sprouts
-oatmeal with banana
-grapes strawberries and apple
-sweet potato with Brussels
-100% compliant
Last edited by taymariekay on Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
taymariekay

Postby Grammy Ginger » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:30 pm

I'd love to be challenged to do exactly what I do. I can pat myself on the back for just being me.

I bought a Fitbit. After fooling with it for three weeks, I realized they were invented for people who don't usually get 18,000-20,000 steps in a regular day, don't usually eat within their calorie count without counting, don't sleep enough, don't hydrate enough, and so on and so forth. I quit wearing the silly thing.

So....my challenge will be to check in and encourage others. I really am not as arrogant as this reply sounds. I'm just having fun.
Grammy Ginger

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:16 am

Yay! This is great.

Michael, I would love to say we’re all totally in plan all the time, but the truth of the matter is that I’m not. No one in my family eats this way, and being around food engineered to be addicting is challenging for many. After being at a kid’s theater cast party with an 8 foot table covered in cookies, brownies and cupcakes, I realized it was time to refocus.

Scott, I love how detailed you are!

Yay, Taylor! You and Buns both inspired this.

Hello, Ginger! You are so inspirational.

Yesterday I avoided eating Taco Bell and mint chocolate chip ice cream. Today I’ll be at my mom’s. Taking a taco bowl and maybe a chocolate smoothie for a treat. Day 2 is going to be a success!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby gracezw » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:51 am

I am in too! I plan to go down to my ideal weight of 110 lbs before I take off to China for two weeks. My weight this morning was 110.5 lbs! I am close but can use the challenge and the energy from all the people here on this thread. Thank you Lynzie, for starting this!

The problem now is mostly with cooking for my 14 year old son. It is difficult to resist the temptation when I prepare food for him. His food I prepare for him at home is wfp with higher level of calories and healthy fat. Good news is that he is now in his summer break, and can work on his own food!
gracezw

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:30 am

michaelswarm wrote:Ok, I’m in. Doesn’t everyone here just eat on plan every day anyway?

hahahaha! you're joking, right?

But YAY Lindsey! I'm in :nod: thanks for setting this up!

I weighed on Sunday, and am up 8 lbs from my most recent weigh-in, which was in April. I'll keep track of lbs lost without revealing the actual tonnage number LOL
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Willijan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:59 pm

michaelswarm wrote:Ok, I’m in. Doesn’t everyone here just eat on plan every day anyway?

That's what I do. However, I've had a few problems lately, although not problems with staying on plan. I've been eating more low calorie density veggies, which led to unexpected hunger between meals. I do not like being ravenous multiple times a day!!!

My weight went down a pound, and then up a pound, but who knows what's really happening. I love having my weight really low, but if I have to gain a few lbs. to avoid being too hungry, I'll go with that

Then life stresses, unavoidable ones, led to eating fewer lcd veggies for a few days, and more starches.

So that's what is happening with my diet: not much. No oil, no animal products ever. (Well maybe once a year, when eating out is unavoidable and I have to eat a little oil). Tiny bits of sugar some days.

However, this 21-day challenge sounds like fun! I am in. I am just on the regular McDougall plan, some flour from time to time, dates every day, no high fat plant foods in recent memory except almond milk in cooking.
Last edited by Willijan on Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willijan

Postby Willijan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:01 pm

So, are we all supposed to post what we eat every day? Sounds like a long thread.
Willijan

Postby frowsyowl » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:46 pm

Wish I would have seen this earlier! I'm pretty much back on track since Saturday. Will keep on going with all of you! Felt energetic and enthusiastic on Saturday, but kind of bleh since. Hope this is just a temporary adjustment.
frowsyowl

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:18 pm

Willijan wrote:So, are we all supposed to post what we eat every day? Sounds like a long thread.

Good point. Feel free to post as much or as little as you like over the next three weeks. We can all post on July 1 with how the 21 days went. This will probably become a ridiculously long thread.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ltldogg » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Day 2,

Woke up and weight was 131.9. I walked my usual 7.5 miles in the morning, came home and evacuated the fibrous foods which were causing me pain (so pain is gone). I had puffed rice cereal with water for breakfast and will have white rice for 3 more meals today. My average BP and RHR for today are 115/76 and 64 BPM. I also went bowling today.

Scott
Ltldogg

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:58 pm

Willijan wrote:So, are we all supposed to post what we eat every day? Sounds like a long thread.

I'm planning on posting my compliance or lack thereof once a day. I might post my foods in the Journals forum. Or I might not :) I'm gonna use this thread for my own accountability.

One way to avoid length of thread could be to just edit your own post daily, and hit post reply once a week to check in with the group? That bumps you to the top of the thread, and bumps the thread to the top of the Lounge.

Just a thought
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bethannerickson » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:59 pm

Ltldogg wrote:Hey Lyndzie,

I'll join you. As I have written many times in the past I eat a very restricted and edgy McDougall plan to help combat pains for my many Autoimmune Diseases. Recently I tried re-adding in some fiber and fun foods to help with the sheer boredom and depression I am hit with at times, but, unfortunately, those foods (fat free refried beans, 5 tostida chips per meal + chunky salsa) still increase my weight, edema, blood pressure, bloating, and especially trigger AI pains.

I'm currently up in weight and started this morning at 132.9. My normal weight is around 125-127.

My height is 5', 6.5", I'm 42 going on 43 and my blood pressure average today after 3 readings 5 minutes apart was 118/74 and my RHR average was 63. My normal BP is around 90/60 and my normal RHR is around 55.

So starting today I am back to eating puffed rice cereal, white rice with some added sugar or sweet chili sauce.

I'll keep posting daily for the 21 days and look forward to seeing other's reports.

Good luck and be healthy,
Scott

I just found this, hope it's not too late to join in.

Scott! You eat a low fiber diet!?!? I've been struggling with McDougalling because after a bout of colon cancer, docs removed 2/3 of my colon. Fiber is NOT my friend so McDougalling is quite the challenge.

However, your post gave me tremendous hope I can possibly do this.

Would you mind sharing your general eating plan? It would be exceedingly helpful.

Thanks!

Beth :)
bethannerickson

Next

Return to The Lounge