Poor Cardiovascular Health in the U.S. Army

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Poor Cardiovascular Health in the U.S. Army

Postby QubitBob » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:25 pm

A study released by the American Heart Association found that soldiers in the U.S. Army have worse cardiovascular health than civilians: https://www.studyfinds.org/soldiers-us- ... ans-study/ .

I know that Dr. McDougall discusses this in a number of his talks, stating that he worries our military service members won't be able to defend America when the need arises due to their overall poor health (caused primarily by an unhealthy diet).
QubitBob

Re: Poor Cardiovascular Health in the U.S. Army

Postby gracezw » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:26 am

Thank you QubitBob! I wonder why soldiers in the U.S. Army have worse cardiovascular health than civilians. Is it because the army food is worse than Stanford American Diet?
gracezw

Postby Dougalling » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:56 am

Dougalling

Postby gracezw » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:35 am

Awesome!

Dougalling wrote:Except for this base ... https://www.livekindly.com/this-militar ... very-meal/
gracezw

Postby QubitBob » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:37 pm

Except for this base ... https://www.livekindly.com/this-militar ... very-meal/

Wow--thank you for posting this. Imagine that--an Army base which serves vegan options at every meal. Now that's progress. Let's hope this spreads to other facilities.

There is a video on YouTube showing Dr. Dean Ornish giving a presentation at the Army War College ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... ar_College ) . One would have hoped that the top-ranking officers at that institution would have gotten the message and started making healthy food available at Army facilities.
QubitBob

Postby Taggart » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:16 am

Not quite the same diet, but back in 2011 Dr. William Lands PhD gave a lecture at a U.S. military base on cardiovascular disease and the effects of high amounts of omega-6 versus limited omega-3. The four part series is easily found on the internet.

Since then, aside from the linked article above I doubt there's been much change. Then again, I don't think having a Beyond Meat burger on the menu is going to equate to a healthy heart. Tried the burger myself a couple of weeks ago to see what all the hoopla was about, and beg to differ from the soldiers in the article regarding taste. I wasn't impressed at all.
Taggart

Postby michaelswarm » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:31 pm

Had a though related to Blue Zones, and having community and purpose. I would expect the military to do better, just because they have purpose and connection. I think the Blue Zone story is missing something here. I suspect it is also necessary to be part of the right community and have the right purpose. Clearly joining an unhealthy communities and having somewhat destructive purposes does not help longevity.
michaelswarm

Return to The Lounge