they really do eat rice and little else

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

they really do eat rice and little else

Postby Grammy Ginger » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:11 am

I shared this experience way back when I was new on this board. I thought some newbies might benefit from it.

We had a little farm in the Seattle area 16 years ago. I hired my Chinese friend's immigrant uncle to do some work for a few weeks which included digging holes for a windbreak. They adopt western names because we cannot usually pronounce their Chinese names. It was quite funny that they really couldn't pronounce the western names they chose: Florence and William. But I digress.

Diminutive, ancient, exceedingly fit William spoke next to no English, but he could work like nobody I've ever seen. It would have taken me a week to dig those several tree holes. He did it in three hours.

For lunch each day, he made a huge batch of white rice in a rice cooker in my shed. (I did invite him in to cook but he refused.) He asked to come inside to steam some green vegetables to go with the rice. When I offered soy sauce, salt, herbs, garlic, onions, or anything to go with it. He shook his head with scorn on his face. Then he headed outside to eat his lunch in the cold weather.

He drank water and ate the entire pot of rice with those few unseasoned veggies.

After his morning or an entire day of hard labor (well paid by the way), I dropped him off to work at his real job at a large Asian grocery store.

Dr. McDougall is absolutely correct. First generation Asian immigrants really do exist on rice with a bit of vegetable for vitamins. Even aging people of this sort can easily work like you cannot believe. They are so happy to be in the US, too.
Grammy Ginger

Re: they really do eat rice and little else

Postby Ltldogg » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:29 am

Great story Grammy and one I'm not surprised by. I eat this way now first out if necessity and second because I feel great. I'm not worried about missing out on this vitamin or that mineral. McDougall has it right, again!
Ltldogg

Postby Ltldogg » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:36 am

BTW, what were the veggies he added in small amounts?
Ltldogg

Postby Grammy Ginger » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:55 am

He ate some sort of Asian greens, probably gau lon or yau choi. I don't know for sure. Back then the only Asian green I knew was bok choi.
Grammy Ginger

Postby Vegankit » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:21 am

Grammy Ginger, they certainly don’t eat like this now. Tons of American fast food restaurants, advertising everywhere for dairy products. Every restaurant is full of people eating very greasy and salty meals laden with meat.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Ltldogg » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:22 am

Grammy Ginger wrote:He ate some sort of Asian greens, probably gau lon or yau choi. I don't know for sure. Back then the only Asian green I knew was bok choi.

Thanks for answering and for sharing. Great story. Eat simple, eat clean, eat until full and have energy!
Ltldogg

Postby patty » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:35 am

Sounds delicious. Wonderful story!!! When I was working as a waithelp, one of the waiters from the Philippines explained to me that jobs here were a luxury. And the McDougall Lifestyle Medicine fits so beautiful, because he connects food and money. How much money is needed to be satiated and healthy by a container of rice and a few veggies? Everyone loves to work. Look at Dr. McDougall working 16 years at a hospital where his colleagues couldn't miss his success with reversing heart disease, but clearly not acknowledging it to Dr. McDougall and adopting it for the benefit of their own patients. Dr. McDougall has clearly stated it wasn't his idea, he didn't think of it. He repeatedly told the world that chronic illness is food borne and everyone can afford to heal it. Dr. McDougall made a paradigm shift, where the need was less creating a vacuum for more vitality. I love working and I work at the lowest part of the food chain of the health system.

Julie Roberts made a observation about the parents paying to get their kids into Universities. She shared they didn't believe in their children. Dr. McDougall believes in his self to extend that belief in his patients.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby colonyofcells » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:42 pm

In countries where oil and animal products have become cheaper, chinese are consuming more oil and animal products. I heard singapore has decided to enforce whole grains on the populace. My older brother is a singapore citizen.
colonyofcells

Postby f00die » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:48 pm

yup
i observed the chinese ppl eating
in the back of the chinese buffet
i used to frequent (for the unlimited crab legs, of course)
and they were eating huge platters
of white rice and a couple small bowls of everything else
at the time i thought it was a strange choice
given the oodles of other food they could have chosen
then i watched this video by dr mcd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STHoPKQxbko
f00die

Postby patty » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:31 pm

f00die wrote:yup
i observed the chinese ppl eating
in the back of the chinese buffet
i used to frequent (for the unlimited crab legs, of course)
and they were eating huge platters
of white rice and a couple small bowls of everything else
at the time i thought it was a strange choice
given the oodles of other food they could have chosen
then i watched this video by dr mcd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STHoPKQxbko

What a great video!!!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Willijan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:37 pm

Grammy Ginger wrote:I shared this experience way back when I was new on this board. I thought some newbies might benefit from it.

We had a little farm in the Seattle area 16 years ago. I hired my Chinese friend's immigrant uncle to do some work for a few weeks which included digging holes for a windbreak. They adopt western names because we cannot usually pronounce their Chinese names. It was quite funny that they really couldn't pronounce the western names they chose: Florence and William. But I digress.

Diminutive, ancient, exceedingly fit William spoke next to no English, but he could work like nobody I've ever seen. It would have taken me a week to dig those several tree holes. He did it in three hours.

For lunch each day, he made a huge batch of white rice in a rice cooker in my shed. (I did invite him in to cook but he refused.) He asked to come inside to steam some green vegetables to go with the rice. When I offered soy sauce, salt, herbs, garlic, onions, or anything to go with it. He shook his head with scorn on his face. Then he headed outside to eat his lunch in the cold weather.

He drank water and ate the entire pot of rice with those few unseasoned veggies.

After his morning or an entire day of hard labor (well paid by the way), I dropped him off to work at his real job at a large Asian grocery store.

Dr. McDougall is absolutely correct. First generation Asian immigrants really do exist on rice with a bit of vegetable for vitamins. Even aging people of this sort can easily work like you cannot believe. They are so happy to be in the US, too.

What a great anecdote, Grammy Ginger. It is nice to have Dr. McDougall's information confirmed in a "recent" example. As I sit here eating my broccoli and brown rice for dinner. I so wish I had eaten this way my whole life and was in such good health as "William."
Willijan

Postby colonyofcells » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:06 pm

Visually 90% whole grain or tubers sounds about right and is what I also see in youtube videos of centenarians in china plus some greens. Some groups in india use beans, peas and lentils as one of the main staple foods. I have talked to somebody from Myanmar and they also use garbanzo (chickpea) flour similar to some groups in India. I visit India grocery stores sometimes and they have a whole aisle full of beans, peas and lentils and flours made from them.
colonyofcells

Postby darad » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:04 pm

Grammy Ginger wrote:He ate some sort of Asian greens, probably gau lon or yau choi. I don't know for sure. Back then the only Asian green I knew was bok choi.

Kai Lan, Gai Lan, ask for Chinese Broccoli in restaurants, is my favorite quick stir fry greens. Depending on season, you'll find these with small, medium or thick stalks with medium to dark green color, which surely is a giveaway to its health benefits.

Unlike bok choy or choy sum, the vegetable does not melt limp when cooked, but rather if not overcooked the stem stays slightly crunchy with tinge of bitter taste (if any).

Unfortunately, you will not find on the charts comparing health benefits of various greens and vegetables. But you should find it at Chinese grocers and local farmers markets with Asian vendors. Look for the "white flowers" versus yellow of other varieties.
darad

Postby colonyofcells » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:19 pm

Chinese broccoli or chinese kale sort of looks more like chinese collard. Broccolini is a hybrid of broccoli and chinese broccoli.
colonyofcells

Postby geo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:50 am

I thought this was an interesting post because I've been on a rice kick the past couple weeks ( i do that every now and then when I get tired of potatoes). For lunch yesterday I had about 2 cups of cooked rice with about 2 cups of frozen veggies thrown on top (broccoli, cauliflower, corn, red peppers). I just put it all in a tupperware container for work and leave it in a fridge. Then for lunch I put it in the microwave for 2 mins and eat :D Quick, simple, cheap, easy and gets me through the afternoon till dinner...oh and a cara cara orange as desert... then mid afternoon, I'll have an apple as a quick break snack. When I get home for dinner, I may have the same thing again :nod:
Notice I dont use any sauce, SOS, or any other topping, spice, herbs or flavor enhancers...just the rice, veggies and a piece of fruit all in their naked, glory, tasting so wonderful... The simple life and no I don't worry about nutritional deficiencies whatsoever... I just eat the food till I'm hungry again...and no I don't care if people look at me strangely or comment on what I eat or try to tell me I need meat or protein...I blissfully smile and fill my belly and get through my work with ease while they crash midway through the work day...the best revenge is living well on this program...

EDIT: Oh and the rice I ate was just plain old long grain (GASP! )WHITE rice...Why? Because its all I had available at the time. And no I don't worry that its not recommended on the program...Why? Because from Dr Kempners work, we know that serious degenerative chronic diseases are cured with nothing more than white rice and fruits/veggies (can you say the Rice Diet) and Dr McDougall puts folks on it as serious treatment...

...and no I don't make a habit of eating white rice...I generally make brown rice as my staple...but again, no worries...make do with what you have and live happily...you won't die with some dreadful disease because of a little white rice...you will thrive and be happy...
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Next

Return to The Lounge