History of white rice in Korea

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

History of white rice in Korea

Postby Atheria » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:31 am

https://food52.com/blog/23925-history-o ... e-in-korea

I feel so ignorant. I did not know that Korea was fought over by China and Japan and that Japan ruled it. I've gotta agree with the writer's grandma. I MUCH prefer short grain rice. :-)

Rice-ly yours,
Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Re: History of white rice in Korea

Postby gracezw » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:39 am

Yes, short grain rice has more calories than long grain rice, I think. Short grain rice tastes sweeter too, especially short sweet rice! It is highly addicting. I have to give it up to reach down to my ideal weight.
gracezw

Postby patty » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:24 am

Interesting story. A lot to think about.

Mahalo, for sharing, patty
patty

Postby Vegankit » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:50 am

Interesting article. Thanks for posting. I’ve visited South Korea and went to many museums that focused on culture and history so I was aware of both the influence of both Japan and China but unaware of those details about the rice growing itself.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Atheria » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:07 pm

gracezw wrote:Yes, short grain rice has more calories than long grain rice, I think. Short grain rice tastes sweeter too, especially short sweet rice! It is highly addicting. I have to give it up to reach down to my ideal weight.

Well THAT'S concerning. We shouldn't have to give up starches to be slim and trim.

:-(
Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby Grammy Ginger » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:08 pm

Thanks for the link to that interesting article. I enjoy history very much.

I love, love, love white rice but don't bring it into the house anymore. I can't get enough of it and overeat. Of course, it's wonderful piping hot with steamed veggies or pintos and salsa. I love room temp Nishiki rice from my Zojirushi rice cooker with a bit of smoked paprika and dried chipotle chilies on top. I also like it with oat milk, cinnamon, and mango. I enjoy brown rice about 75% as much but am satisfied with a moderate amount. Probably, the fiber makes the difference.
Grammy Ginger

Postby colonyofcells » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:41 pm

I prefer mix of whole grain rice, other whole grains, beans, peas, lentils and sometimes chinese yam. These mixes are easy to find in asian grocery, japan grocery and korea grocery stores. Recently, I found out korea has acorn noodles.
colonyofcells

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:46 pm

Thanks for posting! My sister just flew through Seoul last weekend. I’ve been on a stocky white rice kick lately. So fun to eat with chopsticks!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to The Lounge