Dr. Doug Lisle question.

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dr. Doug Lisle question.

Postby Poison Ivy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:12 am

I know he use to have a board here like Jeff N but it was discontinued. I suffer with severe panic attacks and GAD and have been addicted to benzos for years and now suffering from tolerance. I have had many failed attempts to slowly taper off these drugs. It is much easier to come off heroin, no kidding.......take it from me. Does anyone know if Dr. Lisle has ever talked about these subjects and if yes, has he ever recommended anything? Is there anyone else here who has a problem like this? Any responses appreciated. Maybe, this question needs to be posted on another board but I wanted to post the question there to get the most exposure. I did watch one video where he talks about jogging in place when panic starts happening in your brain. I actually have two problems. Panic + being being on these damn benzos chronically for decades which have only made things much worse IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PEF3999muM

Thanks--
Poison Ivy

Re: Dr. Doug Lisle question.

Postby JeffN » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:47 am

You can get a personal phone consult with him..

http://esteemdynamics.org/consultation-with-dr-doug/

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:32 pm

I get panic attacks in bad traffic and used his “running in place” exercise with good results. Even used it on an airplane flight yesterday when it got bumpy. It’s a great tip.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ejeff » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:25 am

Hi Lindsey, I don’t mean to sound stupid, but if you are stuck in traffic how can you run on the spot, you actually get out of the car? Same on the plane you get out of your seatbelt when it’s bumpy? I recall reading or hearing him talk about this quite sometime ago so perhaps you aren’t actually running, but what do you do instead?
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby patty » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:56 am

Ejeff wrote:Hi Lindsey, I don’t mean to sound stupid, but if you are stuck in traffic how can you run on the spot, you actually get out of the car? Same on the plane you get out of your seatbelt when it’s bumpy? I recall reading or hearing him talk about this quite sometime ago so perhaps you aren’t actually running, but what do you do instead?

I hope you don't mind if I jump in.

I bet it is in her mind. The mind doesn't know what is tangible and what is not. I remember Joan Rivers saying the mind is very stupid, when upset she puts a smile on her face and it thinks she is happy. When I am worried about scarcity, there are three things we need on the physical plane: food, shelter and transportation. It is to visualize those three things: I am sitting in the middle of the sun eating a mango. Then I get out of my own way do what I normally do, and somehow I manifest. Addiction is a thinking disease. A disease that tells the addict they don't have a disease. That is why Dr. McDougall suggests taking a cold potato in your pocket, say when going to a event that has a lot of tempting food, eating the potato allows satiety, where you are able to think through those thoughts. Food for thought:) Dr. McDougall nailed it.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:22 pm

Ejeff wrote:Hi Lindsey, I don’t mean to sound stupid, but if you are stuck in traffic how can you run on the spot, you actually get out of the car? Same on the plane you get out of your seatbelt when it’s bumpy? I recall reading or hearing him talk about this quite sometime ago so perhaps you aren’t actually running, but what do you do instead?

I know it sounds a little silly. To paraphrase, Dr. Lisle said that it’s a fight or flight situation, where your body feels like you need to escape, so you need to use your large muscles. If you tense and release your leg muscles repeatedly, after about 30 seconds or so the adrenalin is used up and the anxiety feelings dissipate. I was in gridlock traffic in Chicago and was not maintaining composure when I remembered the trick, and it totally saved the day. Another great part about it is that no one else can tell what you’re doing.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby MINNIE » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:07 am

Thanks, Lyndzie. That's such a good idea.

In a similar vein, I confess that although I'm a grownup, this often works for me (but not while driving LOL):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfrl8mEar2w

Whne I'm sitting at my desk and dealing with an annoying call or email, nobody knows if I'm stomping 3 times :D .
MINNIE

Postby Ejeff » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:21 pm

Thanks Lindsey! Hope your day is great :-D
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby patty » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:09 pm

When in fight or flight there are natural consequences. It is only when you emotionally detach there are no consequences. There are many techniques to assist to emotionally detach. Byron Katie teaches The Work. In essence it is four questions and a turn around. Another one is there are four control dramas: intimidation, interrogation, poor me, and aloofness. Say if I felt intimidated or interrogation by someone or something I search for which control drama I am matching. When I realize I was feeling poor me or aloofness I am no longer caught in fight or fight cycle. Matching junk transcends into matching allurement.

I remember members sharing about a important sign of health is being thin around the waist. The fat being a sign of visceral fat. We are transactual beings. And in essence everyone can have virsceral fat. Everything goes back to digestion. Time is flexible it can be before, during or after. Cells can’t be in growth and protection at the same time. Starch creates satiety where you can think/process you feelings without harming yourself or others by projecting false positives. I Am U.

This is from Bruce Lipton’s “Biology of Belief”:
Before the blood was sent to the extremities, it was concentrated in the visceral organs. Redistributing the viscera's blood to the limbs in the fight or flight response results in an inhibition of growth-related functions; without the blood's nourishment the visceral organs cannot function properly. The visceral organs stop doing their life-sustaining work of digestion, absorption, excretion, and other functions that provide for the growth of the cells and the production of the body's energy reserves. Hence, the stress response inhibits growth processes and further compromises the body's survival by interfering with the generation of vital energy reserves.

Aloha, patty
patty

Return to The Lounge