Vegetable Soup - To starch or not to starch?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vegetable Soup - To starch or not to starch?

Postby geo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:56 pm

OK simple question:

Do you prefer a plain vegetable soup or do you prefer a starch ladened (potatoes/rice/pasta/beans/grains) vegetable soup?
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Re: Vegetable Soup - To starch or not to starch?

Postby Plumerias » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:02 pm

Um, well, yes? I make it with butternut squash, regular potatoes, and sweet potatoes when I have all three. No beans, as I sleep better with them in my midday meal as opposed to the evening one. If I need more starch, I add rice when I reheat that evening's bowl.
Plumerias

Postby Yomom » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:19 pm

I prefer vegetable soup with starch. Typically I make a big batch of the veg soup, then pour it over the starch(es) of my choice, just before eating.
Yomom

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:40 pm

Starch. The only soup I make without it is carrot ginger. Off the top of my head: vegetable soup (contains potatoes), minestrone with cannellini beans, butternut squash with orange, morroncan lentil soup, Italian bean soup, pasta e fagioli, and summer vegetable (contains orzo).
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby openmind » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:50 pm

Depends. I sometimes make a vegetable soup with no starch to eat before a main meal and make sure I don't overeat on the main meal.

But mostly I like soup with potato and vegetables as a main course.
openmind

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:33 pm

I start the pot with whole grains like steel cut oats, then once the steel cut oats are cooked, i throw the greens on top, turn off the heat and cover. After a while I pour it over more greens. If there is space, I will also stir in more greens.
colonyofcells

Postby Daydream » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:41 pm

I just want the soup to taste good whether it has starch in it or not. I've made a bunch of soup recipes that didn't taste good which is a disappointment because my family won't eat it.
Daydream

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:15 am

I say it depends on what you want it for. If the soup is to be a meal, then definitely put the starch in.

But if you want to use it as the first round in sequencing your meals, as in Jeff Novick's "soup, salad or fruit" before the main dish, then only vegetables. The starch will be part of the main meal.
VeggieSue

Postby openmind » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:03 am

Daydream wrote:I just want the soup to taste good whether it has starch in it or not. I've made a bunch of soup recipes that didn't taste good which is a disappointment because my family won't eat it.

I think if you have a frozen veggies soup mix and some starch, there's no way to ruin a soup. You don't even have to put that much spice; people can spice at the table.

The only thing I found that ruined a soup was too many leafy greens. So I stick with the standard soup vegetables from the frozen section, maybe some cabbage, and if I use any other greens, I use just a little bit.
openmind

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:37 pm

To be able to eat soup/porridge/cereal of steel cut oats with lots of greens, I just rely on fresh fruits to sweeten.
colonyofcells

Postby Grammy Ginger » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:47 pm

beans, potatoes, and/or pasta---plain veggie soup doesn't hold me long enough
Grammy Ginger

Postby patty » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:12 pm

Daydream wrote:I just want the soup to taste good whether it has starch in it or not. I've made a bunch of soup recipes that didn't taste good which is a disappointment because my family won't eat it.

I’ve purchased Better Than Bullion Vegetarian low sodium soup base and like it.
https://www.betterthanbouillon.com/prod ... ed-sodium/

One of Jeff Novick’s DVD’s has a recipe for soup base. It is just getting in the habit to make to have on hand. You then would have control of the sodium and everyone could add their own salt from a shaker on the table. Once you have a good base the rest is easy. Jeff Novick’s recipe could be cooked down where you could freeze a ice cube tray for easy access.

I think the DVD is Jeff Novick’s Fast Food 4 Beyond the Basics. I will double check when I am home. https://www.amazon.com/Jeff-Novicks-Fas ... way&sr=8-2

I always add starch. I like one pot meals.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby JeffN » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:31 pm

patty wrote:I’ve purchased Better Than Bullion Vegetarian low sodium soup base and like it.

Unfortunately, it has oil in it

And, even though it is sold as “reduced sodium” it is still very high

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby patty » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:43 pm

JeffN wrote:
patty wrote:I’ve purchased Better Than Bullion Vegetarian low sodium soup base and like it.

Unfortunately, it has oil in it

And, even though it is sold as “reduced sodium” it is still very high

In Health
Jeff

Mahalo, I missed it. I will have to take the time to make your basic broth. And when cooking it does make the kitchen smell really good. I am so grateful for your DVDs. I am grateful I have saved a set of your DVDs for myself.

I don’t think I have to worry about the sodium increaseing in cooking down the basic broth to freeze? I do better with some salt.

Aloha, patty

Sorry I posted the wrong one. I was surprised I would have missed it shopping. This is the one have: https://www.betterthanbouillon.com/prod ... able-base/ It is Organic Better Than Bullion Seasoned Vegetable Base.
It has No Oil but High in Sodium. 700 mg 1 tsp.

ingredients

VEGETABLES* AND CONCENTRATED VEGETABLES* (CARROTS*, CELERY*, ONION*, TOMATO*), SALT, SOY SAUCE* (WATER, SOYBEAN*, SALT, ALCOHOL*),CANE SUGAR*, MALTODEXTRIN*, NATURAL FLAVOR, POTATO STARCH*, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, DRIED ONION*, DRIED GARLIC*, AND SPICE*. CERTIFIED ORGANIC BY QAI.

*Organic
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 tsp
Servings (per 8 oz container): 38
Amount
% Daily Value
0 g Total Fat
0%
700 mg Sodium
29%
1 g Carbohydrates
0%
0 g Protein

Not a significant source of other nutrients. Percent daily values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
patty

Return to The Lounge