So what doesnt the McDougall Program fix?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

So what doesnt the McDougall Program fix?

Postby geo » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:36 pm

In my case its readily apparent to me that it does nothing to help with clumsiness :lol:

In the past 7 months, I've tripped, slipped, and fallen 5 times...

Three times at work I've tripped over a pallet while walking backwards and caring a heavy load (70+ lbs). In each case I fell backwards onto a hard concrete floor. And in each case I bruised my arm, shoulder and hip... fairly badly...but in each case I also did not break any bones, sprain any joint, tear any tissue or anything of significance. Nor did I need any modern medical intervention, drugs, or rest. And at my age, 62, I think thats pretty much a health miracle. For that, I give thanks to this program :nod:

Also, twice this winter I've slipped and fallen on ice, once on a concrete drive way and once on the frozen ground. And again, I badly bruised the same areas and joints. But also didn't cause any type of major damage that might require a trip to the hospital or real medical attention. Though maybe my ego was bruised just a bit too much :)

So while this program may not help the hopelessly uncoordinated, I definitely think it helps you to not hurt so badly and to quickly heal afterwards...

sign me bruised, but not broken in Michigan...
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Re: So what doesnt the McDougall Program fix?

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:50 pm

I’ve got another - it will not stop your hair from going grey. I’m not to the point that I’m considering dye yet, but they are there.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Grammy Ginger » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:49 am

I don't know what I'm doing wrong....well, actually, I know I follow WFPB no SOS to a tee, but I have grey hair just like both my grandmas. I'm getting wrinkled just like both grandmas. My dog shied and ripped up all the tendons and labrum in my left shoulder cuff. It hurts like having a baby out of my arm (and someone with lots of kids knows childbirth pain well.) If PT doesn't work, I face surgery. While nearly everyone else reports curing autoimmune diseases, I developed a new painful one. But...I'm thin, fit, clear-skinned, clear-minded, clean-blooded, and non-diabetic with great digestion (and disposition--lol).

Eating a WFPB no SOS diet doesn't make us immortal but allows us to experience the best health our bodies will allow during the aging process. If I live as long as my grandma (97) and great grandfather (87) on my mother's side, I don't want to experience the health problems they had. My grandma had her first heart attack at 40, breast cancer at 60, acquired T2 diabetes and congestive heart failure in her 70s and kidney failure in her 80s, and walked with a walker for about 40 years. If after trying to do the best I can with my active healthy lifestyle, I don't want acquisition of disease or ravages of aging to be my fault.

There are things the McDougall Program cannot fix like my congenital leaking heart valves. After all I did, I still get colds, still suffer from terrible food sensitivities, still suffer injuries, and still acquire new health issues. But I'm not a failure. Food and an active lifestyle are my medicine, and they're doing a darn good job--just not as good as I dreamed and hoped. I finally have to admit that I'm mortal.
Grammy Ginger

Postby openmind » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:30 am

Lyndzie wrote:I’ve got another - it will not stop your hair from going grey. I’m not to the point that I’m considering dye yet, but they are there.

Someone on the McDougall Friends FB page claimed that their grey hairs went away on this plan!

I understand for women it's a bit of a tougher call because of this godawful expectation society puts on them, but I used to dye my hair, (started going grey in my early 20s) and I've decided that I'm not going to put those chemicals in my hair anymore (even though my wife has asked me to at varying times).

I project my youth at 52 through my boundless enthusiasm, by acting like a young person at heart, keeping everyone laughing and joking. And a little denial can go a long way :-). I also cut my hair very short so my grey is not as noticeable.

My wife also is greying but she uses henna instead of hair coloring. I'm not 100% sure if it's any better for the hair than chemicals, but she seems to like it. She is very self conscious about dark spots on her face (she is ethnically Indian and is already dark, but has a few spots of skin that are even darker than the rest of her complexion). I have told her many times that those dark spots are a part of her and make her even more beautiful, but she insists on using creme/lotion to make them less noticeable.

But all in all, coloring hair is probably not a hugely big deal. However, I would never want my wife or anyone else to get near botox nor plastic surgery. My sister just got plastic surgery and it has done nothing for her. A waste of money, and who knows what health effects may be coming down the road for her.

Sorry to get on my soapbox :-)
openmind

Postby patty » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:21 pm

geo wrote:In my case its readily apparent to me that it does nothing to help with clumsiness :lol:

In the past 7 months, I've tripped, slipped, and fallen 5 times...

Life is about fall precautions. I had a Client when she would fall she became really frighten. So was Okinawan. I had been playing for her on the iPad the Okinawan dances, her mother was a dancer for the court. I found some videos on falling, and how to get up. We also worked on how to move forward on the chair when sitting and move the upper body over the pelvis in getting up. In essence in aging it is about being able to bear weight, even if it is just to transfer from chair to bed etc. In Dr McDougall's Cath and I will Sue video, he made a point of sharing a recliner, he spent months in. They have recliners where they lift you up to help you get into a standing position. And if I am correct where he fell was in the bathroom, and I imagine it was on tile. In remolding to stay in place I put in a wood type floor/Pleiades which is can be wet, placed even in the bathroom. If the falling continues at the rate it is happening once a month, I would carpet my whole place, including the bathroom. I have though noticed my Client's that do fall often, are able to get up with only a few cuts and bruises. One is a 97 year old, that gardens with his walker and hangs ropes on structures/trees to help him. My Client's and their families give me inspiration to remind me, we are immortal beings having mortal experiences. I had on Client who was blind. His son set up poles with a rope attached, and he would hold on the robe to guide him from his bedroom to his recliner in the living room. He would pass the bathroom and kitchen. People want to stay in their homes. And it is all about preparation day by day, to die a young old.

The McDougall program didn't prevent me from hitting a curb, where I threw off the alignment of my Honda Fit. At first it thought it was just the tire, and whee. It turned out the impact pushed the frame back. The cost escalated from 900 to close to 3000. It took the insurance company short one day, of two weeks before viewing. I was so angry. Then I remembered a Client whose career had been in insurance and what she went through before passing. My heart immediately softened from the memory of my Client who had chemo for his prostate cancer, where it effected his pelvic floor, he developed water on the brain where they put a shank in his brain. The side effects were horrific. 97% of the tests are false positive. Living the McDougall lifestyle allows us to see the future, where forgiveness happens because with the McDougall Lifestyle we know what fights daily can be fought. We know the majority of people don't have the understanding of McDougall LIfestyle medicine. Every institution casts a large shadow. And we are clued into the medical.

The insurance company sent someone over from Maui to help with their back load, who was very kind, and I was renting a car (at this time it was 600 for two weeks), and the dealership where my car was being repaired said they would get me a loaner. In returning the loner, and going to dealership, my son kept reminding me the car might be a bigger car/even a van and I might not be able to drive it. I just went into my potato satiety, where I just responded i would say "No', if I felt I wouldn't be safe. Dropping me off he said call me before you leave. Well I called him and said, "It is a Honda Civic Sport with 15 miles."

And the moth cancer surgery on the side of my face, happened after the car accent. And it hasn't been as easy as projected. But it's healing progressing. Natural healing takes longer, the pain has been bearable and it is suggested it takes a year for the scar to normalize. My hair covers the wound where the scar won't be as noticeable.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby f00die » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:36 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIRH9OrvzC8
something that helps with falling
plus always look where you are going
in the past i did some commercial roofing
up high in the air
carrying heavy heavy stuff (always something to do on the roof)
one could never ever ever
walk backwards ever
f00die

Postby Atheria » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:50 pm

I wish diet could fix my horrid 24/7 headache since 10-1-1995 that was made worse by being thrown into solid rock last April, but it can't.

:-(
Atheria

P.S. Patty, I have a 2015 Honda Fit named Ruby.
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby Werner1950 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:05 pm

An interesting question. When I started on this way of eating, my joint pain in my knees, hips and shoulders went away.
but now, a couple of years later I have a kind of tendonitis in my achilles heel and I have a very painful tendon in my left thumb. I was hoping that WFPB would take care of it but that has been there for 1/2 year now. I just grin and bear it.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby hastings » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:40 pm

Atheria wrote:I wish diet could fix my horrid 24/7 headache since 10-1-1995 that was made worse by being thrown into solid rock last April, but it can't.

Perhaps extended water-only fasting (under medical supervision) could help. Here's a link to an article regarding a woman who alleviated her long-term headache via fasting at TrueNorth Health Center.

https://www.healthpromoting.com/learning-center/testimonials/christina-gore-resolving-sixteen-year-headache
hastings

Postby Poison Ivy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:14 am

Lyndzie wrote:I’ve got another - it will not stop your hair from going grey. I’m not to the point that I’m considering dye yet, but they are there.
LOL, same here! Dr. McD's hair is gray now and he does not seem to mind. LOL
Poison Ivy

Postby Poison Ivy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:16 am

With me...I suppose it would be severe panic and anxiety. I Have struggled with these type things nearly 30 years now. :-(
Poison Ivy

Postby patty » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:20 pm

Atheria wrote:I wish diet could fix my horrid 24/7 headache since 10-1-1995 that was made worse by being thrown into solid rock last April, but it can't.

Atheria

Natural healing takes time. It will pass. Something about getting hit in the face or head goes right to the soul. And you are working on your digestion? My daughter used to have migraines from a food additive. Well as long as you have a Honda Fit/Ruby to drive you will be Ok!!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Atheria » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:33 am

patty wrote:

Atheria

Natural healing takes time. It will pass. Something about getting hit in the face or head goes right to the soul. And you are working on your digestion? My daughter used to have migraines from a food additive. Well as long as you have a Honda Fit/Ruby to drive you will be Ok!!

Aloha, patty

Patty, this will NOT pass. I have had this nonstop brain crushing pain with face drooping since 10/1/1995. Last year's 3rd incident has destroyed my life. Even the Mayo Clinic doesn't know how to help me.

Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
Atheria

Postby Atheria » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:41 am

hastings wrote:

Perhaps extended water-only fasting (under medical supervision) could help. Here's a link to an article regarding a woman who alleviated her long-term headache via fasting at TrueNorth Health Center.

https://www.healthpromoting.com/learning-center/testimonials/christina-gore-resolving-sixteen-year-headache

That is interesting, thank you. I am convinced my skull slipped on C1 and is crushing nerves into my brain. One of my new MRIs does show that I have NO gap between C1 and my skull like there should be. My C1 is shoved up into my skull. I had a guy in a health food store YEARS ago jerk me up off the floor quickly by my ears, popping my head off my neck, and it lowered my headache down dramatically. I do have one scan that showed my dura is affected, but I don't think that's the main issue. My new symptom, after last April's "event" is that the blood vessels in my right eye keep breaking. Both eyes are always red now, but last Wed. I had another eye hemorrhage. It's so scary...and I'm out of doctors and healers to go to. :-(

Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
Atheria

Postby Atheria » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:42 am

Poison Ivy wrote:With me...I suppose it would be severe panic and anxiety. I Have struggled with these type things nearly 30 years now. :-(

Please DO try CBD. You can use the hemp version.

Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
Atheria

Next

Return to The Lounge