Oats and Ochratoxin A

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oats and Ochratoxin A

Postby Jimmy54 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:28 am

ConsumerLab recently updated their article and research on oats [1] and sent a huge scare about Ochratoxin A, a kidney toxin found in lots of stuff but highly concentrated in the bran of oats. I have one kidney that's not 100% and have moved to a starch-based diet with steel-cut oats being a big part. It's a rather convincing argument, but also very frustrating as we're still trying to find the right foods for the kidney, reflux, IBS-C, and I could go on. The only additional research I can find is about how to minimize Ochratoxin A in processing your crops. Is this just a "starches are bad" scare article? And is there some way to reduce the presence of Ochratoxin A in retail products, eg. wash in baking soda, add garlic, rinse in vinegar, etc.? [1] https://www.consumerlab.com/m/reviews/O ... eals/oats/
Jimmy54

Re: Oats and Ochratoxin A

Postby patty » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:58 pm

Did you post on Jeff Novick’s site. He might have your answer.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Jimmy54 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:04 pm

patty wrote:Did you post on Jeff Novick’s site. He might have your answer.

Aloha, patty

Oops. Will do that now. Thanks.
Jimmy54

Postby geo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:20 pm

I thought I responded to this yesterday but I guess my post didnt make it...at any rate I saw JeffN's response to you in his forum, but because you are concerned about having only one kidney and it being deficient I would give you my experience...

I've been following the MWL for the past 7 years quite strictly. Oats are my second biggest starch, behind potatoes. I eat it for breakfast everyday and sometimes for lunch or dinner as well. I also have only one kidney and suffered from chronic kidney deficiency when I started the program. Today, I'm doing fantastic and my kidney disease is long gone. This program works, exactly as stated, and does so remarkably...I still am amazed at all the problems and issues this program fixes naturally with no effort...just eat the food and expect miracles. I've seen NO issues with eating oats whatsoever and I don't expect any whatsoever...why?...because its not a concern in the program...if neither Dr McDougall nor JeffN, RD have issues with oats....and they are the real deal experts...then I certainly will not either...and this program has proven it true for me in so many ways that I trust these men implicitly with my health.

Check out my testimonial in my sig below to see my results and my one year journal link will tell you how I did it over the course of a year.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby Jimmy54 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:09 pm

Thanks Geo, very kind of you to respond. This is all relatively new to me. Looking over your testimony, pretty amazing. Thanks again.
Jimmy54

Return to The Lounge