New York public schools to introduce Meatless Mondays

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

New York public schools to introduce Meatless Mondays

Postby QubitBob » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:15 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/us/new-y ... index.html

Well, this is big news, given the size of this school system. I hope they do it right and introduce really healthy plant-based meals. Maybe they will make a few converts this way.
QubitBob

Re: New York public schools to introduce Meatless Mondays

Postby patty » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:29 am

It is a start!!!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby geo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:26 pm

OK, I'll be the skeptic on this. First it should NOT be about being meatless. That is NOT a pre-requisite for a healthy diet (We ALL KNOW THIS right?). Secondly, you know what they will do...soyburgers instead of hamburgers, geasy/slimey cheese pizzas instead of pepperoni pizza, the usual white refined flour products, the usual heavily fried and oil drenched foods, TVP everywhere for that meat like texture and taste. And everything heavily processed and full of SOS to make it "palatable" to the kids. It has to be this way because they always go to the lowest bidder for food service that will meet all the silly, not health related requirements. All you will see is yet more "food" not being eaten and going to waste...or the unhealthy, cheapest, processed "vegetarian" food that most vegetarians already eat way too much of.

C.R.A.P. is still C.R.A.P. whether its animal or vegetable based.

These kinds of programs are NOT about healthy eating or nutrition, they are about image...looking like they care...and making themselves feel important...we see these kinds of programs fail virtually everywhere they are tried...over and over again...sigh

sign me, crumudgenly yet quite healthy thank you :angry:
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby sirdle » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:45 pm

geo wrote:OK, I'll be the skeptic on this... sign me, crumudgenly yet quite healthy thank you :angry:

I'm with you, geo.

According to Bill de Blasio: "Cutting back on meat a little will improve New Yorkers' health."

I doubt it. :(

It might even make their health worse, depending on what they substitute it with. :oops:
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:59 am

I’m going to have the cup-half-full mentality. When I first quit eating meat, I would make my mom’s meatloaf with ground beef substitute, and soy crumbles in the chili. Now I make both without those “transitional” products. We need to meet people where they are at and help them move forward. This is a step in the right direction.
Last edited by Lyndzie on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Grammy Ginger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:28 am

Lyndzie wrote:I’m going to have the cup-half-full mentality.
I'm with you. Every step in the right direction is positive.
Grammy Ginger

Postby patty » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:48 pm

Can you imagine them eating carrot hot dogs? And Jeff Novick's bean burgers and baked fries. The learning curve of this WOE is very deep.The book, "OMD: The Simple, Plant-Based Program to Save Your Health, Save Your Waistline, and Save the Planet" by Suzy Amis Cameron, Dean Ornish MD, wrote the forward. Suzy Cameron and her sister created the first vegan school. IMO they make a lot of mistakes... olive oil etc. They now have two Muse Schools, the saving grace is the one rule, perfection isn't allowed. Suzy Cameron tells the story of a child in the grocery store having a tempter tantrum because his mother refused to buy tofu. The Muse school started out as a environmental school. Then they realized you couldn't really care about the environment and not care about the animals. And you couldn't keep eating the animals and still say you care about the environment. That is when they became vegan by serving only vegan lunches. They clearly stated before school the children could eat bacon and eggs if that is what they wished.

I am visioning Meatless Mondays planting the seeds to flowering the McDougall consciousness. Imagine those little hands on their smart phones checking the data/information Dr. McDougall offers so freely. Truth always follows.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby debknott » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:14 am

I agree that it is at least a pretty good step in the right direction. Maybe the next step could be no meat and no cheese. Who knows?
debknott

Return to The Lounge