How to raise % of McDougallers in the population...

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

How to raise % of McDougallers in the population...

Postby Hal » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:00 pm

Does anyone know the percentage of McDougall-ers we have at this point?
I'm wondering if there are ways to increase the number of McDougall-ers in the world and if any business models can be developed.
Hal

Re: How to raise % of McDougallers in the population...

Postby f00die » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:28 pm

Hal wrote:Does anyone know the percentage of McDougall-ers we have at this point?
I'm wondering if there are ways to increase the number of McDougall-ers in the world and if any business models can be developed.

whats a mcdougaller?
f00die

Postby debknott » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:04 pm

I assume Hal means folks following the McDougall eating plan.
debknott

Postby f00die » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:53 pm

debknott wrote:I assume Hal means folks following the McDougall eating plan.

fantastic
theres rural chinese eating noodles and veggies
mexicans eating "not enough vegetables", starches mostly
africans eating cornmeal ugali, sweet potatoes, beans and veg
indians eating potato samosas, rice and dals
italians eating pastas, pizzas and tomatoes
and the occasional unfortunate animal that crosses their path
are they mcdougallers?
f00die

Postby colonyofcells » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:44 pm

Most traditional diets are no longer healthy bec of the overuse of oil, lard, ghee and increase in animal products. Obesity is a great problem in mexico, in mediterranean countries, in okinawa japan and pretty much everywhere except in poor countries such as in poor countries in africa.
colonyofcells

Postby openmind » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:01 am

Hal wrote:Does anyone know the percentage of McDougall-ers we have at this point?

Here's the only thing I think we can reasonably do:
1. Make sure we ourselves understand the McDougall program fully and keep implementing as fully as possible in our own lives.
2. If we have spouses and children, try to get them to fully understand and comply, to the extent possible.
3. Support fellow McDougallers through participation in forums like this one and FB groups.
4. Cross our fingers/pray/hope for the best.

Ultimately, it's not in our control, anymore than what the latest fashion trend is going to be.
openmind

Postby hazelrah » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:50 am

I'm wondering if there are ways to increase the number of McDougallers in the world and if any business models can be developed.

I think I agree with the people who have told me that there is no money to be made in getting people healthy. I think that North America, the United States in particular, are pegged as the consumers in the global economy and this WOE is about reducing consumption. I think the business plan would be tricky. It would require an effort like the civil rights movement to effect. But, of course, the civil rights movement ultimately prevailed. The most successful entrepreneurs I've seen in the field are people like Nathan Pritikin and Dr. McDougall. And they sacrificed everything to get to the level that people still wonder why they have not been more successful. I've been out of work since 2016 and I've given a lot of thought to how make a living from promoting this way of eating. If you find the answer please share it with me.

I'm pretty sure it will end up being more difficult than almost any other way of making a living. But it is still worth it if you want to get the most out of life.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby Ltldogg » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:00 am

hazelrah wrote:I think I agree with the people who have told me that there is no money to be made in getting people healthy. I think that North America, the United States in particular, are pegged as the consumers in the global economy and this WOE is about reducing consumption. I think the business plan would be tricky. It would require an effort like the civil rights movement to effect. But, of course, the civil rights movement ultimately prevailed. The most successful entrepreneurs I've seen in the field are people like Nathan Pritikin and Dr. McDougall. And they sacrificed everything to get to the level that people still wonder why they have not been more successful. I've been out of work since 2016 and I've given a lot of thought to how make a living from promoting this way of eating. If you find the answer please share it with me.

I'm pretty sure it will end up being more difficult than almost any other way of making a living. But it is still worth it if you want to get the most out of life.

Mark

I have thought about how to also make a living promoting this WOE for over 10 years since I changed my own eating habits. As Jeff Novick and other professionals have told me and you have stated already Mark, there is not money to be easily made in this line of thinking/business. However, there is probably enough to be made if you are content with doing something you love instead of working just for the money. With that being said, you will probably have to invest time and money to get educated, certified, accredited, etc as well as finding a field and job. If you do it, do it for the love of helping people, the animals and the planet; not for the money. Of course, that should be the mantra for everyone and every situation.

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Ltldogg » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:04 am

Similar to what openmind said, here are the points I think are most important to spreading the McDougall WOE:

1. Understand the McDougall Program and implement fully.
2. Be the best role model by following #1 above.
3. When asked about your diet/what you eat, point them to the McDougall website or The Starch Solution.
4. Do not teach your own version of the program or make modifications. Give credit to McDougall and Jeff Novick and let them teach the next person.

~Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Skip » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:58 pm

To increase the number of McDougall-ers you can do exactly what Dr. McDougall has done. Write books, provide 3 and 10 day programs, create a website with a discussion board, hold weekend study programs etc.

The best business model I can think of is be the best McDougaller you can be (invest in yourself) so you live a healthy, long, prosperous life which will allow you to succeed in any business....
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby healthyvegan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:40 pm

i probably added about 20k, maybe more. but wrote my own book and support group has around 20k members and I quote/link mcdougall and jeff all the time, but also the 100s of other experts who add to the message. the only difference is i start at MWLish for a foundation and then build in richer foods& use Human Behavior models that focus on long term habit formation vs restrictions. still constantly evolving and really like Dr David Katz's rhetoric. its all flavors of the same ice cream. some people even enjoy the Furhman flavor. I'm back in school working on a MPH/DrPH to help take a population/policy approach. its a full time passion for me, and has been for over 20 years. I was able to reach a larger audience on social media, but also learned of the dark side of this message through social media and that is the eating disorder population, who are drawn to the restrictions and rules like moths to a flame so now I co-run a support group for that, too. I also have a family and a life and love art/music/building things/throwing veg festivals, but can't stand human or animal suffering, its an economy of trade offs where we can put our focus & how much any one of us can do, we need to spawn/support more Potato Strongs, High Carb Hannahs, Brand New Vegans, Nina and Randa's, etc. there needs to be 10s of 1000s of us. The Starch Certificate needs to be a training camp, much like the 10 day program, but longer. It needs to teach social media, youtube videos, community organization, collaboration, etc. partner up with other successful lifestyle promoters like internships. run like a business franchise, etc.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby patty » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:59 am

healthyvegan wrote:i probably added about 20k, maybe more. but wrote my own book and support group has around 20k members and I quote/link mcdougall and jeff all the time, but also the 100s of other experts who add to the message. the only difference is i start at MWLish for a foundation and then build in richer foods& use Human Behavior models that focus on long term habit formation vs restrictions. still constantly evolving and really like Dr David Katz's rhetoric. its all flavors of the same ice cream. some people even enjoy the Furhman flavor. I'm back in school working on a MPH/DrPH to help take a population/policy approach. its a full time passion for me, and has been for over 20 years. I was able to reach a larger audience on social media, but also learned of the dark side of this message through social media and that is the eating disorder population, who are drawn to the restrictions and rules like moths to a flame so now I co-run a support group for that, too. I also have a family and a life and love art/music/building things/throwing veg festivals, but can't stand human or animal suffering, its an economy of trade offs where we can put our focus & how much any one of us can do, we need to spawn/support more Potato Strongs, High Carb Hannahs, Brand New Vegans, Nina and Randa's, etc. there needs to be 10s of 1000s of us. The Starch Certificate needs to be a training camp, much like the 10 day program, but longer. It needs to teach social media, youtube videos, community organization, collaboration, etc. partner up with other successful lifestyle promoters like internships. run like a business franchise, etc.

It is always so great to see you posting.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby healthyvegan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:15 am

Thanks Patty! I always check in and am so happy to see you, too! I don’t miss a single post in Jeff’s forum either
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby patty » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:08 pm

healthyvegan wrote:Thanks Patty! I always check in and am so happy to see you, too! I don’t miss a single post in Jeff’s forum either

Wow, I checked out your link. You are certainly raising % of McDougallers. When you go to bed at night you must have a great sleep. You know a market you might tap into is the quilting community. The promise of the quilting community is these women have honed their skills for years, they were ready to share their skills when youtube opened the community of the world to them. Quilting is a addiction, and like all addicts the dominoes fall to food and money. You have to be healthy and have money to quilt. :) And as you shared how easy it is not to miss one of Jeff's posts where the information and data flows.

There is a couple Anna and G, that do videos of traveling, attending quilt shows/shops and Anna shares some stitching techniques. Recently on one of the videos Anna shared they were going vegan. You might like to see what they are doing with social media. They identify as Quilt Roadies:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChlaj7 ... cEA/videos

Sharing is the Heart Beat, from the Same Heart.

I loved the cover of your book, from college to experienced chefs. Your family is beYouteful!!!!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Ltldogg » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:50 pm

healthyvegan wrote:...we need to spawn/support more ...High Carb Hannahs...

No, we don't need to spawn or support any YouTubers to make this lifestyle successful, especially people like High Carb Hannah, who bounces around from one extreme to the next and even recently went down to South America to take mind-altering, psychoactive drugs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHJWLBWlatg&t=57s). She is a terrible influence for people who follow her.

Additionally, as has been discussed by myself and JeffN on these forums many times in the past, YouTubers are doing just as much harm if not more to the healthy WFPB movement. We need people to go straight to the source, which is Dr. McDougall & Jeff Novick. Otherwise, the message gets muddied and the principles are lost. Next thing you know you have people who are proclaiming that a vegan or WFPB diet failed and they have to eat meat, when in fact they were never following the principles in the first place.

The things we truly need for this healthy movement to succeed and grow are:

1. Scientific data
2. Experts who base their programs on the Scientific data
3. People to follow these programs
4. Government laws and support

~Scott
Ltldogg

Next

Return to The Lounge