Algae based dha supplement without oil?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Algae based dha supplement without oil?

Postby domgro » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:15 am

I always thought ground Flaxseeds and a healthy diet are enough to cover your omega 3 needs, but I recently saw a video that some people might benefit from a DHA supplement.

I don't want to take oil based DHA, since I notice a worsening of my pain (RA). Are there any non oil based DHA supplements? If not, why is oil used as a base? Why not water or something else?
domgro

Re: Algae based dha supplement without oil?

Postby f1jim » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:34 am

We don't recomend taking DHA supplements unless prescribed by a medical professional. Please check out Jeff Novicks forum for further info on DHA.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby DanTheYogi » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:06 am

domgro wrote:I always thought ground Flaxseeds and a healthy diet are enough to cover your omega 3 needs, but I recently saw a video that some people might benefit from a DHA supplement.

I don't want to take oil based DHA, since I notice a worsening of my pain (RA). Are there any non oil based DHA supplements? If not, why is oil used as a base? Why not water or something else?

DHA = Docosahexaenoic Acid. Notice the "Acid" at the end. DHA is a fatty (omega-3) acid. DHA is the oil. You cannot separate them because they are the same thing.

All omega-3 supplements are oil based - it cannot be any other way!
DanTheYogi

Postby Atheria » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:59 pm

I've not been taking it lately (am using ground flax seeds) but the vegan DHA I had been taking contained 250 mgs of DHA per capsule. I just took one as I'm small. I think the amount of fat in it was minuscule, like one gram.

Omega 3-ly,
Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby LuckyToBeAlive » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:42 pm

I'm not qualified to make recommendations to anyone about food or supplements, so please don't take this as a recommendation or suggestion but just information. Further, though I'm a 'nobody' so who would listen to me anyway :) , for the record I agree 100% with f1jim's recommendation to read through Mr. Novick's posts on DHA specifically and supplements generally as part of any inquiry into whether a supplement would be advisable. I just don't want this to be misconstrued as challenging f1jim's, Mr. Novick's, or Dr. McDougall's advice--it surely is not.

After study I chose for my unique circumstances to take a supplement called O-Mega-Zen3 + EPA from a company called NuTru. Each capsule is labeled as containing marine plant-derived 300 mg DHA + 150 mg EPA. I take two capsules per week vs. the "suggested use" of one capsule per day. As others in this thread have noted, ingesting some oil is implicit in taking an Omega-3 supplement.

https://www.nutru.com/products/omega-epa/

Best wishes.
LuckyToBeAlive

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:57 pm

I heard scientists are working on gmo plants that will have more epa/dha omega 3 fats.
colonyofcells

Postby f00die » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:10 pm

how do i know that the omega3/DHA supplement is working?
what should i expect to see or not see?
f00die

Postby geo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:26 pm

how do i know that the omega3/DHA supplement is working?
what should i expect to see or not see?

Below are the typical signs of EFA Deficiency...rather a bit general and match a lot of other issues...so go see a doctor to get tested to be sure if you suspect an issue...but only after you've followed this program for sometime and still experience those symptoms!

But as has been mentioned before, if you follow the McDougall Program then you won't have any Dietarily related nutritional deficiency (except possibly B-12)...genetic issues, of course, are another matter and need to be tested for...but eat well as prescribed here and for the vast majority of people your golden...

Signs/Symptoms of Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency

Dry skin (e.g., feet/face/general)

Scaly or flaky skin (e.g., legs)

Cracking/peeling fingertips & skin (e.g., heels)

Lackluster skin

Small bumps on back of upper arms

Patchy dullness &/or color variation of skin

Mixed oily and dry skin (‘combination’ skin)

Irregular quilted appearance of skin (e.g., legs)

Thick or cracked calluses

Dandruff or cradle cap

Dry, lackluster, brittle or unruly hair

Soft, fraying, splitting or brittle fingernails

Dull nails – lack of surface shine

Slow growing fingernails

Dry eyes

Dry mouth/throat

Inadequate vaginal lubrication

Menstrual cramps

Premenstrual breast pain/tenderness

Excessive ear wax

Excessive thirst

Allergic (e.g., eczema/asthma/hay fever/hives)

Crave fats/fatty foods

Stiff or painful joints

Also their are potential mental issues associated with possible EFA Deficiencies such as in general, and relating to depression, dementia, ADD/ADHD, autism, bipolar disorder, and more...
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:24 pm

OMG, Geo, I have half those symptoms!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby f1jim » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:25 pm

That's the problem. So does everyone!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby calvin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:40 pm

calvin

Postby Wildapple » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Wildapple

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:02 pm

Wildapple wrote:This is one without oil

https://www.procapslabs.com/Products/De ... -250#Label

The description says it is a “concentrated source of algal oil.” DHA is a type of oil. You can’t find oil-free oil.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby human vegetable » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:10 am

Regarding the question how to find out whether DHA supplementation is working:

You can get some lab work done. There is a blood test called "omega 3 index", which analyzes the percentage of omega 3 fats in the blood.

After some months on DHA supplements, my omega 3 index more than doubled from a baseline of four to about 9. The first value put me in the high-risk category for heart disease (at least according to the lab that evaluated the test), whereas 9 is fine.

However, as all the studies this index is based on were conducted on SAD eaters, Jeff doubts whether they are of any relevance to us. On average, vegans have a lower DHA intake than SAD eaters, yet also a lower heart disease risk. Therefore, taking DHA supps (and taking the omega 3 test) should both be unnecessary. Still, I wasn't fully convinced, and so I thought better safe than sorry...

I take one algae oil capsule daily (300mg DHA & 150 mg EPA), containing about 1g of algae oil.

The only relevant source of whole food DHA/EPA should be whole algae, but you'd need the right kind. Not sure whether this kind is openly sold, and how much you'd have to eat. Often, algae contain a lot of iodine, and maybe you'd overdose on iodine then.

A different approach would be sticking to short-chain omega 3s in leafy greens, some legumes, and most prominently flax, and trust in your body's ability to convert these to DHA. I read a study on rats which found that turmeric can increase this conversion somewhat, so you might kill two birds with one stone by taking turmeric along with flax.
human vegetable

Return to The Lounge