Hook Given to (Healthy) Nasty, Rotten School Lunches

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby darad » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:00 pm

The left is going to scream, and former first lady Michelle Obama is going to complain about her 'legacy' being dismantled, but President Trump has ended the era of 'nasty, rotty' food, as it has been served up under the best of intentions with federal rules for all school food.

Kids Tweet Their Gross School Lunch Pics (See more)...

I recall our school cafeteria lunches in 50's and 60's were pretty good, fresh cooked and not rotten w/o central kitchens. Of course, by high school guys hung out in the underground Bear's Lair where they served burgers, hot dogs and fries. But the main cafeteria food was reasonable, not that I ate the shredded raw carrots. Too bad we didn't comprehend the high school food induced pimples.

Nowadays, things have changed ... sounds pretty good, but kinda pricey, but kids these days have bigger budgets!
    "Dumpling delight: Right across the street from C.K. McClatchy High School, the recently opened Dumpling & Tea House (3000 Freeport Boulevard) offers some damn good deals on dumplings (12 for $7.35) with flavors that include kimchi pork and chicken and corn. It also serves BBQ pork baos (3 for $4.00), a Thai chili chicken bowl ($6.50) and teas ($3.50) that can be customized with boba, red bean and “grass jelly” (50 cents each)."
darad

Re: Hook Given to (Healthy) Nasty, Rotten School Lunches

Postby lucidguppy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:26 am

School funding should come from the state or federal level. When it's at the county level there's too much inequality. Kids shouldn't have their future determined by their zip code.
lucidguppy

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:25 am

Can't blame Michelle Obama for those horrific looking "lunches". I went to elementary school in the 1950's too. We had fried chicken we called "rat bones with hair" which may give you some idea. The vegetables were painfully obviously all canned, mushy, gray, tasteless. Lots of amorphous glob, Sloppy Joes, mystery meatloaf, etc. All in all, not pleasant, not tasty, likely not very nutritious. High contrast when I started college in 1968 and the damn hippies took over the dining hall. We had a Macrobiotic food line (your option that or the regular) that featured all fresh, organic produce from the "garden project" which was a for credit, college course. All the food on that line was raised/grown on campus and fresh harvested. The other line was about what you'd expect. They had to double up on production and staffing on the Macro side! Anyway, the people interpreting the mandates and rules, the ones doing the actual supply acquisition and food prep are the ones responsible for what shows up for the kids to eat. Not M. Obama and not Trump
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Grammy Ginger » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:12 pm

I have a different memory of school lunches in the late 60s and 70s. Because my mother was a horrible cook, the only good meals I ate come from our school cafeteria and my grandmother's house. Later, my family ate out most of the time.

It's really too bad that school cafeterias don't make beans, rice, and fresh wheat rolls like they did back then. Of course, they also made lots of fried things, but those rolls are among the best memories of my childhood.
Grammy Ginger

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:47 am

darad wrote:Hook Given to (Healthy) Nasty, Rotten School Lunches

The left is going to scream, and former first lady Michelle Obama is going to complain about her 'legacy' being dismantled, but President Trump has ended the era of 'nasty, rotty' food, as it has been served up under the best of intentions with federal rules for all school food.

Kids Tweet Their Gross School Lunch Pics (See more)...

I recall our school cafeteria lunches in 50's and 60's were pretty good, fresh cooked and not rotten w/o central kitchens. Of course, by high school guys hung out in the underground Bear's Lair where they served burgers, hot dogs and fries. But the main cafeteria food was reasonable, not that I ate the shredded raw carrots. Too bad we didn't comprehend the high school food induced pimples.

Nowadays, things have changed ... sounds pretty good, but kinda pricey, but kids these days have bigger budgets!
    "Dumpling delight: Right across the street from C.K. McClatchy High School, the recently opened Dumpling & Tea House (3000 Freeport Boulevard) offers some damn good deals on dumplings (12 for $7.35) with flavors that include kimchi pork and chicken and corn. It also serves BBQ pork baos (3 for $4.00), a Thai chili chicken bowl ($6.50) and teas ($3.50) that can be customized with boba, red bean and “grass jelly” (50 cents each)."

you had a cafeteria in the 60's? I was in elementary in the 60's and didn't see a school cafeteria until I hit 7th grade in the early 70's. I brought lunch, and ate in the classroom...or went home for lunch (those were the days...mom at home with lunch waiting...wow) But Junior High is also when I started overeating. I'm with Grammy: The fresh rolls were DELICIOUS. I always had more than one of those, especially good for mopping up the gravy! I don't remember BAD food in the school cafeteria, but I also usually just ignored the food line and bought a bean and cheese burrito. Or brought lunch. That was still a thing even into high school.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Return to The Lounge