If sick, saltine cracker alternative?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

If sick, saltine cracker alternative?

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:50 pm

Hello! With cold and flu season underway or soon to be, it got me thinking how, when a family member or I used to be under the weather and started to re-introduce food (especially after vomiting), we usually always started with a few saltine crackers to see if they could go down without coming up. If they worked, we ate more saltines...then we usually tried white toast and after that white rice.

Does anyone know of any oil-free saltines? I haven't seen any.

What do you usually re-introduce after being sick?

Here's to hoping that none of us needs the (hopefully) forthcoming ideas! :-D. Thank you.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Re: If sick, saltine cracker alternative?

Postby Grammy Ginger » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:32 pm

I like to try mashed potatoes as a first food. We used to do saltines years ago.
Grammy Ginger

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:43 pm

Grammy Ginger wrote:I like to try mashed potatoes as a first food. We used to do saltines years ago.

Ahh...good idea--thanks! I know that the saltines were always a convenient staple, but the mashed potatoes are doable! :thumbsup:
Mom+Me

Postby Idgie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:49 pm

My doctor recommends the BRAT diet for when you're under the weather: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:02 pm

Idgie wrote:My doctor recommends the BRAT diet for when you're under the weather: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast.

Awesome, thanks Idgie! I'm not concerned giving or eating white rice, but when it comes to the toast, I would be concerned that the whole-grain bread we have may be too hard on a woozy tummy. Some sourdoughs don't contain oil...maybe that would be a possibility?
Mom+Me

Postby Idgie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:05 pm

Maybe it's because my body is used to it, but whole-grain bread isn't hard for me to digest when I'm sick. Your Mileage May Vary.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:12 am

Idgie wrote:Maybe it's because my body is used to it, but whole-grain bread isn't hard for me to digest when I'm sick. Your Mileage May Vary.

Thank God none of us has been sick for a long time, I'm just thinking in case any of us gets sick. Yes, I would think that the Ezekiel bread would probably be okay, but some of the heartier ones--including those with seeds--maybe wouldn't.
Mom+Me

Postby Vegankit » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:11 am

Rice congee is popular in Asia for this purpose as being easily digested and mild flavored. I would think oatmeal would be good too.

Chicken soup with rice or noodles was our default, saltine crackers was only for heartburn or nausea during pregnancy.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby MINNIE » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:44 am

For people who can eat wheat, matzos (wheat flat bread) could work as a cracker substitute. These are the best oil-free cracker equivalent I have found. They are cheap and available at lots of supermarkets.

The ingredients are wheat flour and water. There''s a whole wheat version too, also just flour and water, and salted and unsalted ones.

http://www.manischewitz.com/product_cat ... #cat_Matzo

Check the labels, as some varieties contain non-acceptable ingredients such as egg or oil.

The basic wheat flour & water matzos should be McDougall compliant.

I also like the basic Lundberg rice cakes that are just puffed rice.
MINNIE

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:59 pm

Vegankit--Thank you for replying. I had heard of rice congee before, but wasn't 100% certain. In my search this came up...sounds wonderful sans the oil and meat products, of course! https://www.thespruceeats.com/basic-con ... es-4065244

MINNIE--Yes; of course--matzo! While I haven't purchased any for several years, yes, they are a great saltine alternative, even better...no salt. Thank you so much for replying and bringing this to memory. I've been fortunate to find the whole wheat ones, too. Just stopped buying them because my family wasn't fans of them having practically no taste. But I'll be certain to get a box next time I shop! :thumbsup:
Mom+Me

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:34 pm

We make miso soup when sick. Also, the congee suggestion would be great. Peppermint tea is suppose to help with nausea, and ginger does as well. Maybe some noodles in a mild broth (kinda like chicken and noodles, without the chicken?).
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:25 pm

Lyndzie--All great ideas, as always; thank you! Yes, I've heard that peppermint tea is good, too. Makes sense that ginger would as well...as I child I remember my mom giving me saltines and gingerale as some first "foods". Then she would usually always make homemade chicken soup.
Mom+Me

Postby JeffN » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:43 am

Mom+Me wrote:Lyndzie--All great ideas, as always; thank you! Yes, I've heard that peppermint tea is good, too. Makes sense that ginger would as well...as I child I remember my mom giving me saltines and gingerale as some first "foods". Then she would usually always make homemade chicken soup.

As an FYI, the saltine cracks is actually not based on anything tested and proven. It was just a soft, bland, easily digested food that was regularly available for many.

If it works for you, the closest thing to it, as mentioned, is the whole wheat matzo, which you can get unsalted. However any plain simply prepared starch would work the same.

In regard to congee, I sometimes recommend congees to help clients lower calorie density &/or to ease digestion. They can be very soothings and easy to digest. there should be a few discussion on them in my forum

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Mom+Me » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:03 am

JeffN wrote:
Mom+Me wrote:Lyndzie--All great ideas, as always; thank you! Yes, I've heard that peppermint tea is good, too. Makes sense that ginger would as well...as I child I remember my mom giving me saltines and gingerale as some first "foods". Then she would usually always make homemade chicken soup.

As an FYI, the saltine cracks is actually not based on anything tested and proven. It was just a soft, bland, easily digested food that was regularly available for many.

If it works for you, the closest thing to it, as mentioned, is the whole wheat matzo, which you can get unsalted. However any plain simply prepared starch would work the same.

In regard to congee, I sometimes recommend congees to help clients lower calorie density &/or to ease digestion. They can be very soothings and easy to digest. there should be a few discussion on them in my forum

In Health
Jeff

Thank you for contributing, Jeff. You always provide such great information + we all really appreciate you, your knowledge, and your time!
Mom+Me

Return to The Lounge