I almost slapped my cashier and the guy behind me!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: I almost slapped my cashier and the guy behind me!

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:31 am

f00die wrote:yeah
health insurance is not about health at all
its pretty much a purely economic decision
pay a little now to reduce the risk of paying a lot later
and we should all wish we had medicaid (medicaid for all)
no deductibles, no copays, no premiums
only pays reasonable prices, refuses to pay for boondoggles
best health insurance in the USA

I agree 100%.

Idgie, you make some very valid points. I would no sooner require people to vaccinate their children, but a person’s decision not too impacts many. I guess the question is how do we get people to make the better/healthier choice?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:21 pm

It would be very nice if people who never use their health insurance and/or only for broken bones, etc. would get deep discounts.

Education is key. So many people have no clue that their daily life choices (the biggest one being eating), actually affects their health. And then, of course, there are many people who are concerned about their health but then misguidingly (Is that a word?!) follow Atkins, Paleo, the American Heart Association guidelines, etc. thinking they are doing good.

I really think if people could be led by the hand, so to speak, and actually taste just how good the foods with this WOE can taste, and they gave it a solid month for their tastebuds and health problems to improve, people would really change their minds. I guess we all have to help in our own spheres of influence and to always remember to have patience and grace, not to be condemning.

As for the cashier, he maybe has tried to eat "healthy" in the past, but after eating carrots and celery (not very tasty to one used to grease and salt and also not filling) he (or others like him) gives up and loses hope of ever getting healthier by eating heathy. Fear probably also plays a part...believing "I can't do this!". And when it comes to men, many identify their manhood by eating meat.

But, I can definitely feel your frustration about people's negative attitudes when you try to help them. We just have to try to put ourselves in their shoes by trying to think about why they react as they do, and hope that we can plant a seed. Then maybe someone else will come along in their life and hopefully water that seed...and then hopefully one day it will take root and grow. :) I know, I know...not the "answers" you were looking for or the pace with which you'd like to see them instilled...me, either.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Skip » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:22 pm

Atheria wrote:I need to vent.

While my cashier was checking out my veggies, beans, etc. he commented that he had open heart surgery a few years ago that cost $65,000 and bragged that he only had to pay $50 of it. (What insurance does he have?!) Of course, me being me, I told him he needed to eat like me and go vegan. He scoffed and laughed as he told me he loves greasy food and told me, proudly, that he starts every morning with chorizo and other crap. He then, LAUGHINGLY, told me that he's having heart issues again (because he never changed his diet after the first clogged arteries surgery) and his surgeon told him, "I've done my job, now you need to do yours." He made some comment about life not being worth living without fatty food. Then, this guy behind me said that being vegan was "too hard". WHAT?! I said, "I would rather eat kale than have my chest split open and people's hands on my heart. THAT'S HARD!"

Seriously, I wanted to slap these two guys. For one thing, it's because of people like them that I have such high insurance costs. GRRRRRR! I seriously think that doctors should refuse to operate on people who refuse to help themselves and that insurance companies should not cover them. I'm pissed.

Atheria

I think that your reaction did nothing to help this guy and just caused you unnecessary and unwanted stress even though your intentions were good. You should think about the statement " Of course, me being me, I told him he needed to eat like me and go vegan." Maybe you can change you and your reaction to people who are uneducated about their diet and health. Then you won't be so pissed! :!:
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby viv » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:51 am

Atheria I totally get your frustration. Your attempts to help and support another human falls on deaf ears, and society ends up paying for it in one way or another.

At the library the other day I walked up to the counter to check out my books and the librarian was heavy, looked tired, and old. I launched into my refrain about how I lost weight blah, blah, feel great blah, blah on a plant based diet blah, blah. Now this librarian didn't ask for advice, she was just sitting behind the counter doing her job. But why did I do it? Like many of us here we come from a place of compassion and wanting to share our good fortune and help others. Sometimes I for one, go a little too far!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby lucidguppy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:23 am

I can empathize with some people. I just imagine how I would feel if someone approached me with a keto or paleo chat.

The media have much more successfully muddied the waters - so people are not motivated to do anything.

People will be more motivated when there is a consensus in the media. (like smoking or wearing safety belts)

But keto people are even arguing that LDL doesn't matter because they have large particles - complete baloney.

I just bought "The Influential Mind" to start studying how to convince people. (Funnily enough - people are not motivated by studies or facts - but by emotion).
lucidguppy

Postby verde » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:42 am

lucidguppy wrote:I can empathize with some people. I just imagine how I would feel if someone approached me with a keto or paleo chat.

The media have much more successfully muddied the waters - so people are not motivated to do anything.

People will be more motivated when there is a consensus in the media. (like smoking or wearing safety belts)

But keto people are even arguing that LDL doesn't matter because they have large particles - complete baloney.

I just bought "The Influential Mind" to start studying how to convince people. " (Funnily enough - people are not motivated by studies or facts - but by emotion)".

Couldn't agree more! And it's so true, we are way more emotional beings than rational...unfortunately not everyone is aware of this.
Also it's there's a saying that is always a good reminder: "those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still".

Being a vegan for 21 years, now I have a very different mindset and attitude towards other people's choices... I've learned that nobody on this planet likes to be told what to do, if you want to actually make a change, lead by example, not words, and above all, be compassionate and try to see the other's point of view, even if you don't agree with it! Only by understanding where they're coming from and seeing the pain that's often being masked by their "superior attitude ", will you be able to be kind, and then, you won't need to convince them, when there's no barrier between you, it's easier for them to willingly be open to see your side to, and possibly considering changing themselves!

This applies to everything in life!

Dr.Lisle talks about the subject extensively and I truly think evolutionary psychology is on the forefront of understanding the human psyche.
verde

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:13 am

this story reminds me of something that happened a few years ago locally, that made headlines. A firefighter collapsed on the firehouse floor, cardiac arrest: Widowmaker. Thankfully, they had a defibrillator right there and saved his life. He was taken to the hospital where he had stents placed.

The news story was about the value of the defibrillator in the firehouse, along with a call to have these devices available in every public space (good idea) and the picture was of the men of Enginehouse # 9 (or whatever) a big red fire truck, their buddy whose life was saved, and a huge pizza as they celebrated him coming back to work. :\

I was *this close* to taking a copy of the E2 diet book to them. Or calling the fire station. Or SOMETHING. I mean, is there anyone more fit than a firefighter? :unibrow: I love watching them...used to live right around the corner and I got to see them jogging frequently. Or in the grocery store. *whew* *fans self*

ehem. Anyway, a fit, healthy youngish man BAM down on the floor from clogged arteries. And the celebratory meal upon his return FROM THE HOSPITAL? from having STENTS installed? in his ARTERIES? ... Pizza? Really.

It's frustrating.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:44 am

One of the first exposures to this way of eating was when I was a grocery store cashier. A customer simply said, “Have you read The China Study? You should. It changed my life.”
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Chumly » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:20 pm

"One of the first exposures to this way of eating was when I was a grocery store cashier. A customer simply said, “Have you read The China Study? You should. It changed my life.”

How this way of eating and living has changed our lives is the best way to reach others. Instead of getting exasperated when someone says they can't possibly stop eating SAD food, you can say something like; "I never thought I could change the way I eat either, but now I feel 20 years younger and I'm taking control of my life". Speaking about your own experience is the best way to reach others.

Michael
Chumly

Postby determined2bhealthy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:45 pm

The fact he found needing bypass surgery (or stents) to be funny just astounds me.

I imagine those are not his true feelings. People have so many defenses.

It's all very sad.
determined2bhealthy

Previous

Return to The Lounge