Is the fat you eat always the fat that you wear?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is the fat you eat always the fat that you wear?

Postby Skip » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:38 pm

Fuhrman claims that the fat in nuts and seeds may not necessarily be digested....
In fact, the sterols and stanols in nuts and seeds may reduce fat...
So it isn't necessarily true that the fat you eat is the fat you wear????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtBFR27GVP8&t=1h5m50s (just listen to Furhman's comment, then stop)
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Re: Is the fat you eat always the fat that you wear?

Postby lucidguppy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:01 pm

I'm back on a non-fat mc dougall diet. Reason being I was eating more nuts and peanuts. Weight came right back on.

The doctor comes up with these aphorisms for a reason... they're simple to remember and they work.
lucidguppy

Postby Skip » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:52 pm

lucidguppy wrote:I'm back on a non-fat mc dougall diet. Reason being I was eating more nuts and peanuts. Weight came right back on.

The doctor comes up with these aphorisms for a reason... they're simple to remember and they work.

The McDougall diet is not "non-fat".
Skip

Postby Grammy Ginger » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:12 pm

McDougall is no added fat, not no fat. Even oatmeal is 20% fat.
Grammy Ginger

Postby Drew_ab » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:27 pm

For me personally, I can swap an ounce of nuts/seeds/avocado for an equal number of calories of starch and my weight doesn't change. Granted I'm fairly active (probably 15000-17000 steps per day). While this increases the calorie density it doesn't make any difference in total calorie count or weight for me. Some people do however have big problems with added whole foods fats, and most certainly everyone has problems with refined fats like oils. Many of the studies showing weightloss benefits (or benefits in general) from nuts are thought to be due to the substitution effect. In other words, if you swap out butter for nuts or avocado, you're going to see a measurable benefit. To my knowledge no data exists on the difference between a starch based diet with nuts or without and I doubt we'll ever see such a study done. If you are a healthy weight, have no health issues, and do well with some added nuts/seeds/avocados, you certainly can do it. The true McDougall program doesn't require (or need) such foods.
Drew_ab

Postby Atheria » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:33 am

Drew_ab wrote:For me personally, I can swap an ounce of nuts/seeds/avocado for an equal number of calories of starch and my weight doesn't change. Granted I'm fairly active (probably 15000-17000 steps per day). While this increases the calorie density it doesn't make any difference in total calorie count or weight for me. Some people do however have big problems with added whole foods fats, and most certainly everyone has problems with refined fats like oils. Many of the studies showing weightloss benefits (or benefits in general) from nuts are thought to be due to the substitution effect. In other words, if you swap out butter for nuts or avocado, you're going to see a measurable benefit. To my knowledge no data exists on the difference between a starch based diet with nuts or without and I doubt we'll ever see such a study done. If you are a healthy weight, have no health issues, and do well with some added nuts/seeds/avocados, you certainly can do it. The true McDougall program doesn't require (or need) such foods.

The key is "substituting nuts, seeds, avocado for other calories". I'm not good at that. Think ADDED calories and half a jar of peanut butter gone. ;-)

Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby haze5736 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:28 pm

Nope. The excess calories you eat turn into the fat you wear. No matter where they come from. It's just easier to do with high calorie density foods.
haze5736

Postby landog » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:27 pm

haze5736 wrote:Nope. The excess calories you eat turn into the fat you wear. No matter where they come from. It's just easier to do with high calorie density foods.

It does matter where the fat came from.

In this thread, Katydid explains:

Katydid wrote:The fat you eat quite literally IS the fat you wear. If you eat the fat from - for example - a pig or a cow, it will be deposited into your fat cells virtually unchanged (until your body burns it for energy). A doctor can take a syringe, pull out the fat, analyze the lipid profile of the fat on a gas chromatograph and tell you exactly what animal it came from. I used to do this myself when I was an oil chemist and wanted to know if a grease was made from lard, tallow or petroleum.

Carbohydrates are converted to glucose, fructose, etc. before storage as glycogen. Protein is broken down into amino acids. Fat is just stored as fat. The fat you eat becomes the fat you wear because it isn't transformed into anything else. It pretty much stays as it was when you ate it until the body needs it. You dietary history follows you around on your behind :lol:

Kate
landog

Postby Atheria » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:19 pm

By the way, VegSource is posting a whole video about nuts tomorrow...and whether they are necessary.

Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
Atheria

Postby debknott » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:49 pm

I believe Dr. McDougall is correct. The fat you eat really is the fat you wear.
debknott

Postby Poison Ivy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:52 am

I eat a handful of walnuts probably daily. I have been doing it for many years. I am 5"11", male, and between 145-150 lbs so I am certainly not wearing the fat from the walnuts I eat daily, LOL! I always think quantity when it comes to things like nuts. I have never heard Dr. Fuhrman say you can eat a bag of these things daily. Fuhrman is one of my fav PB docs btw. :-) I am not 100% WFPB but mostly I would say and that works for me. :)
Poison Ivy

Postby Skip » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:17 am

Poison Ivy wrote:I have never heard Dr. Fuhrman say you can eat a bag of these things daily.

Here is what he advocates:

"Of course, nuts should not be eaten to excess. Nuts and seeds are high in nutrients but also high in calories, so they should be eaten with consideration for one’s caloric needs. One ounce daily is usually appropriate for women trying to lose weight and 1.5 – 2 ounces for overweight men. Conversely, nuts and seeds should be eaten in larger amounts for slim, highly physically active people who can use the extra calories."

https://www.drfuhrman.com/library/eat-t ... eight-loss
Skip

Postby Poison Ivy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:42 am

I agree with what you said. :)
Poison Ivy

Postby Atheria » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:44 am

Skip wrote:
Poison Ivy wrote:I have never heard Dr. Fuhrman say you can eat a bag of these things daily.

Here is what he advocates:

"Of course, nuts should not be eaten to excess. Nuts and seeds are high in nutrients but also high in calories, so they should be eaten with consideration for one’s caloric needs. One ounce daily is usually appropriate for women trying to lose weight and 1.5 – 2 ounces for overweight men. Conversely, nuts and seeds should be eaten in larger amounts for slim, highly physically active people who can use the extra calories."

https://www.drfuhrman.com/library/eat-t ... eight-loss

Like I can eat just an ounce of nuts. HA! #triggerfood

:-)
Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
Atheria

Postby abit » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:34 pm

:-)
Last edited by abit on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abit

Next

Return to The Lounge